Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

If he keeps at it, he may even be as good as his ol' man someday!

(That's not a dig at Junior; I'm a huge fan of Senior's work.)

••

I think he's already there, albeit traveling down a different road.

When JR started, pretty close to the same time I did, he was very much emulating his Dad, and as such could not help but be diminished by the comparison. But once he found his own "voice," and grew stronger and stronger, he climbed to the topmost heights. Damn him!! ;)

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 2  

If you read Marvel comics in the 1970's you got to see a lot of young artists who have legendary - George Perez, Howard Chaykin, Walt Simonson, Frank Miller, Jim Starlin, Dave Cockrum, John Romita Jr, Frank Brunner, and of course, JB.

Romita Jr sort of grew on me, he slowly developed his own style (getting away from the more generic-Marvel style he started out with), and managed to get out his father's enormous shadow at the same time.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 3  

Purely as a matter of personal taste, I don't always love what I see in John Romita, Jr's work....but as much as I -- not an artist, just a comicbook fan -- can judge the quality of his work, he's incredible.

Agreed. And that Spider-Man shot is a great example.

It's hard not to recognize there's something special there. I thought he was generally held in high regard...didn't know there were a lot of bashers.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 15 March 2016 at 8:46am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 4  

...didn't know there were a lot of bashers.

••

There don't have to be a lot. The internet makes gnats seem as large as elephants.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 5  

I think part of the problem is how they express that dislike. They don't just dislike it, it's the worst art ever and he can't draw. Words like hack get thrown around and phrases like "phoned in". And many seem to take it all as a personal affront. 

One can only imagine the atrocities JR has carried out against these people's families! 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 6  

I've been a fan since ASM Annual # 11.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 7  

I think part of the problem is how they express that dislike. They don't just dislike it, it's the worst art ever and he can't draw. Words like hack get thrown around and phrases like "phoned in". And many seem to take it all as a personal affront.

One can only imagine the atrocities JR has carried out against these people's families!

•••

I've noted before that the minibrains seem to form their assaults based upon a trident of assumptions.

• I don't like this.

• Therefore it is bad.

• Therefore it is bad deliberately.

With this as their foundation, it does not take long for these people to begin taking something they don't like as a personal offense. I experienced this when the first Big Bad Byrne stories began circulating after I quit X-MEN. Complaints about the work that followed were informed less by the quality of the work itself than by the sense of PERSONAL BETRAYAL apparently felt by those who did the complaining. I had LET THEM DOWN. PERSONALLY.

There is a deep and misplaced proprietorial sense that flows thru some levels of fandom. As such, anything that does not cleave to their narrow definitions of what is "good" becomes an attack on them.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't understand the X-Men thing at all. Having been a fan of your work since I got into comics around 1990, when you moved onto a new title, I'd just pick that up. Same with any artist or writer I like.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 9  

A former girlfriend, being herself a fan and having observed other fans in action, noted that for some the monthly reading (and multiple re-reading) of these books takes on, in their minds, the form of a conversation. A back-and-forth. They are often offended, then, when something occurs that reminds them they are actually watching a monologue. When they meet an admired artist or writer and the "conversation" is not continued as expected, or that artist/writer leaves the book s/he has been working on, it is a personal affront to the fan(s).

Russ Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10  

The Spidey piece Michael Penn posted above made me remember a story:

In a Marvel-hosted AOL chat that I was in on years ago (probably more than a decade ago now), one of the participants said that he liked JR Jr's art, but it really bothered him how John drew butts, and in particular men's butts. He said they were too blocky.

John told the guy not to be offended, but from now on, he was going to think of that guy whenever he drew a butt. That seemed reasonable to me.

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 11:52am | IP Logged | 11  

JRJR is one of the few artists I enjoy even if I'm not a fan of the story (Bendis/Avengers). He's been one of my "buy on sight" for many, many years. Great, great artist.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

Long time Forum members will note JR drew the webbing on Spider-Man's costume with the "reversing scallops" his dad taught me back in the Before Time.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version