Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 3:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'd love to see the three Fourth World books revived, with JB, JRJr and Walter Simonson as the creative team.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 3:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd love to see the three Fourth World books revived, with JB, JRJr and Walter Simonson as the creative team.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

One of the reasons I got frustrated with and quit buying MARVEL comics in the early 2000s was the overuse of "pinup" covers.  While generally I despise that approach, JRjr's covers during that time period were always a joy to behold.

One of my favorites.

Edited by Joe Hollon on 24 March 2016 at 4:20pm

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

The Hulk vs. Abomination pic is pure joy. Everything I love about comics
is shown in that image.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

He, along with John Buscema, is for me, the best ever at conveying 3 dimensions with the human body

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

to Paul: my not keeping quiet wasn't about the subject matter, it was about other people's posts like mine that stated a similar opinion and got insulted on a personal level, which seemed heavy handed over an opinion... 

I suppose i should have said "DD:MWF was sub-par" not "sucked" - and even that doesn't fall squarely on JR Jr, because he didnt ink it, which i probably should have added.

The Flash is looking down because i saw an image i found of a track runner in a dynamic pose as he started running, and i thought he had the perfect pose for the Flash breaking into a run.
I knew if i gave even ONE excuse it would be repeated and thrown in my face. That drawing isnt recent, its old and unfinished and its not my example to compare to JR Jr. Of course it doesnt compare to a full comic page! Let's call it a sketch i guess. But i dont mind at all if it gets insulted. I can do better and i will. If i had stuck with it since i was a teen, yeah, i think i'd be better. Bold boast, i know.

I dont recall saying "JR Jr ISN'T professional" - of course he is!
I fully acknowledge he is VERY experienced in the field and has a huge amount of published work. I just don't think his art is all that complex. Its average in today's spectrum of artists...
Im not any more swayed by the last 4 examples posted. They're GOOD, they're not GREAT.

I'm sure it'll be well recieved when i say i don't plan to continue to comment on this thread/subject. I've made my points. Believe it or not i didnt jump on here to piss people off, and i do plan to take other threads' titles exactly as its written from now on. 

I cant believe someone wants to leave the planet over this thread! Really? It's that bad? For the record, im not voting for Trump, he's unfit for public service. He sells fear and hate. I hope im not being compared to him. Based off this thread that would be a stretch to assume. this is about a comic book artist. Hardly a serious topic.

When i do another drawing ill put it in the 'sketchbook' thread and maybe make a note here that i did.

Edited by Robert Ingrao on 24 March 2016 at 8:35pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 7  

JRjr is someone who can go toe to toe with King Kirby himself. I was VERY late to the party in terms of really enjoying his work (his Hulk, Thor and Spider-Man is what finally made me a believer), but I'm so happy I came to appreciate and love his artwork. What a talent!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

That's crap.  He's average at best.  I hate the way he draws circles and two toes. I could do better even though I haven't drawn since I was six. Give me a week and I'll show you.

/sarcasm 

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 March 2016 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

LOL! At least mock something i actually said...

and toe to toe with Kirby?!? really? no one's gonna jump on that?
Kirby created easily 100 major characters! this thread has gone from respect to unwarranted deification. NO ONE goes toe to toe with Kirby! NOBODY! He is at the top! that statement is more BS than anything i said. 

Edited by Robert Ingrao on 24 March 2016 at 11:41pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 5:05am | IP Logged | 10  

I just remembered how much I enjoyed JRjr's DareDevil run in the 80s.  Probably the first time I really noticed his work.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 11  

and toe to toe with Kirby?!? really? no one's gonna jump on that?Kirby created easily 100 major characters! this thread has gone from respect to unwarranted deification. NO ONE goes toe to toe with Kirby! NOBODY! He is at the top! that statement is more BS than anything i said. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is no denying that Jack Kirby was a creative genius. However to say that no one can go Toe to Toe with Kirby is just foolish thinking. I can think of several people who can legitimately go Toe to Toe with Jack Kirby. John Buscema, Frank Frazetta, Neal Adams, Alan Davis, Al Williamson, Jack Davis, John Byrne, John Romita Sr and Jr. Gene Colan. Each and every one of them have qualities to their work which far exceeds Jack Kirby. Kirby has qualities to his work that far exceeds theirs. Yeah Kirby was great and deserves the title of King. But it is a mistake to think as an artist that Jack Kirby was beyond reproach.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 25 March 2016 at 5:41am

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 12  

Please ignore, Robert. He has already gone back on his claim of not
posting again in this thread. He is just looking for attention. The
attention should be on JRJr.

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version