Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 1  

Dynamic, sense of movement, anatomy
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 2  

im not the only one ignoring the concept of the thread...some serious Leifeld bashing going on as usual. and a whole lot of over-admiration and downright worshiping of what, to me, is an average comic artist. what's the point of having a forum if everyone has to follow the poster's lead and stay with that opinion?
im sure there are a lot of people for whom when they started reading comics JR Jr was one of their first exposures to comic art, and his art still generates nostalgia in them...
im not remotely moved by JR Jr's art. i look at it and see lots of flaws. im not trying to do that, it just happens. i could make a list of 30 artists right now that side by side would be obviously better to me, and i'd hope to anyone else, but that would still be an opinion.
also, this is the first time on any of the 4-5 blogs/forums i read that anyone has ever said anything in favor of his art. ive seen 1 or 2 negative threads, otherwise no threads at all. i think its widely accepted he's average at best. that, too, is my opinion as i have no facts to back it up. certainly not one comic fan i know out of about 24 disagrees with me.

as for misuse of caps, ive never been good at typing. and im too lazy to reach for the shift key that much.  certainly doesn't mean im an idiot.

Edited by Robert Ingrao on 23 March 2016 at 3:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 3  

If there were a "Praise for Rob Liefeld" thread and someone started bashing Liefeld I would call them to task as well. It is my job as a moderator to do so. I have also called out others for bashing JRJr in this thread. I understand you're a busy person and can't be bothered with reading the rest of thread. Your opinion is all that matters. It is so important in making sure we know that you have a low opinion of JRJr we should also let you off the hook because it takes a fraction of a second to capitalize properly. Your vast knowledge of art and scary talent allows you the comfort of not wasting time with caring about others opinions just your own. I stand in awe of your ability to dissect his art talent with such thought provoking verbage as "dick nose" and "scribbly". The simple fact you read multiple blogs that never address the career of JRJr should also make you an authority on the merits of art as well. I stand impressed and in awe of your well thought out and extremely well researched opinion.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 4  

… im too lazy to reach for the shift key that much…

••

How is "reaching for the shift key" any more of an effort than reaching for the A or Z keys? Or any other key on the board?

Welcome to my IGNORE list.

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 5  

I first discovered JRJr. when he was on The Amazing Spider-Man back in the early 80s (the greatest run of any Spider-Man title, IMHO). I loved his work on Uncanny X-Men and spent some considerable time trying to draw like him (an exercise in futility, indeed).
He eventually became an artist whose name on a title was all I needed to guarantee I was buying it without question.

I had the pleasure of meeting him once during my short-lived tattoo artist phase (he'd designed a tattoo for his friend and accompanied him to the shop the day he got it) and he was a super nice guy. IIRC, the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man movie had just debuted in the theaters.      

JRJr. is very much like Mike Mignola in that he's created such a unique style that it really only works when they're doing it - often imitated, never duplicated.

And to Robert Ingrao - I'd love to see you draw something on your best day that even comes close to something by JRJr. on his worst. You threw down a challenge of sorts. Put up or shut up.       

Edited by Ronald Joseph on 23 March 2016 at 11:56am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 6  

I think I first noticed John Romita Jr, back in his Daredevil days.
I had the pleasure of meeting him once at a con, he modestly signed the cover of my Man Without Fear to me, and I cherish it to this day.
One of the many class acts in the business!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 7  

Working with Johnny on IRON MAN was one of the great joys of my career. He never missed a chance to give me at least 300% of what I asked for.

The wonderful thing about that was that JR always served the story. Even when he took it beyond what I asked for, he did so in context, and not just to show off and/or draw what he wanted to draw.

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'd like to buy him a beer (or ten) for this.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was at that event in Vegas, David. It was a good time. JRJr was a champ. I stopped by and chatted with him for hours but I took breaks to go to sleep. He didn't sleep and he sketched a ridiculous amount of art.

Here is one of the many sketches he did for me that weekend.

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

That's pretty sweet!

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

i knew my opinion wouldnt be popular
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2016 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

i knew my opinion wouldnt be popular

You came across like a total dick. Now post some artwork so we can see how it's done.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version