Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Q For Mr. Byrne: Any Good Examples Of De-Uniquing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 1  

It just seems unnecessary. When Spider-Man showed up in a Transformers comic, my response was, "Wow, Optimus Prime and Spider-Man together!" It wasn't, "How does this fit in? What Earth does this take place on? What's the designation for that particular Earth?"

••

But many -- too many -- of the people who DID think that eventually became pros, at both companies.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 2  

If only the definition of "pro" was taken more seriously.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 3  

If only the definition of "pro" was taken more seriously.

••

It's a process of attrition. When I got into the Biz, the Old Guard were still in charge. Sure, the Second Generation was there, those who had come in after the interregnum of the Fifties and early Sixties, but the ones holding the reins were still mostly trained in the Golden Age.

Over the next couple of decades, the old hands dropped away, thru death or retirement, and more and more the key positions were held by fans-turned-pro. Still trained by the former generation, but increasingly not so much.

I think the tipping point is well defined by a story Terry Austin tells, of finding himself in an argument with an assistant editor at Marvel who insisted that the lettering was not done on the boards, and never had been.

"No sense of history" is a phrase I have used many times.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 4  

I'd like to know what set the ball rolling. That first domino, whatever you call it. Someone should have shot it down in flames. 

What I don't like is where it has led us. It has led to me having non-fans/civilians asking me, "What's a good jumping on point?" or "Which trade paperbacks do I need to get up to-date on Crisis?" It has also led to DC, certainly since about 2003, having reboot after reboot. How many Crisis events have there been? Are we due another on in about 2020 or 2025?

It has had such a "ripple effect". It's why I don't read DC now (other than vintage stuff). Why would I be interested in another Crisis event or a reboot/soft reboot? 

I often wonder who such things are targeted at. "Oldies" like me, who remember the original Crisis, aren't interested in that arc/concept being revisited; and young fans who weren't even born during that period won't surely be interested, either?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 5  

I'd like to know what set the ball rolling. That first domino, whatever you call it. Someone should have shot it down in flames.

••

When I joined the industry full time, circa 1975, there had already been for some years grumblings about "continuity." There were two schools of thought, primarily: that "continuity" meant Superman was from Krypton, and would always be from Krypton; that "continuity" meant constant references to the tiniest minutia of a character's history.

I enjoyed the latter, but I leaned more to the former. As I watched, tho, I saw more and more people come in who bordered upon being obsessed with the second definition. Mark was one such. Another writer I saw slip under the spell to the extent that it seemed he could not even come up with a story unless he was "fixing" something.

This is the kind of thinking that led to CRISIS. Since Earth 2 could not longer be simply a fun place to visit from time to time, but must come steeped in ever more complex detail every time it was referenced, it had "obviously" become too much for "new readers" to take in. (The irony here being that the kinds of stories that created the problem were not written with "new readers" in mind. The whole thing had become a kind of circle-jerk, with a handful of hardcore fans-turned-pro writing for themselves and pretty much only themselves.)

In the movie 1776 one character says there is no subject so dangerous that it can't be talked about. In the case of comicbook "continuity" there was no subject so complex it could not simply be ignored. (Like I did on FANTASTIC FOUR, for instance. Five years on the book, and not a single reference to Reed and Ben having been in WW2.) But too many writers and editors couldn't simply ignore the problematic continuity. They had to "fix" it, or, worse, they had to bind themselves to it. And there were plenty of readers prepared to write in complaining if we didn't follow "continuity" to the letter. (A second irony -- so many of the points they wanted staunchly defended would not themselves exist had not attention to "continuity" been so lax in the Past.)

Eventually, patterns lock in, and the industry becomes as we see it today, creatively paralyzed, and able only to repeat the same tropes over and over.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 6  

Thank you for that insight, sir. 

I believe in ignoring things. I'm sure the Bond novels do that. I'm almost certain Bond has a birthdate of around 1928 in one novel - but bought a Bentley in 1937. Nice to think a nine-year old can buy a Bentley. But, seriously, I see it all as being fluid.

I think it's good to keep the basics - i.e. not having Superman suddenly reveal he was born on Venus - but I think the rest is fluid, especially where we are talking decades. 

If a single writer, i.e. Ian Fleming, can make continuity errors, then of course countless writers/editors over a 75+ year period are going to do the same. Nothing needs fixing. 

I wonder if this is unique to comics? I don't peruse any Bond or Sherlock Holmes forums, but I'd wager they might be as pedantic. I'm not. Yes, it was pushing it a bit when Holmes/Watson were active during WWII in one of the Basil Rathbone films, but it didn't detract from my enjoyment.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

Last week, Diamond Distributors had an "event".  It was an in-store comic convention where if a store wanted, it could broadcast interviews or panels with comic creators.  Instead of having to be there, you could just go to your local comic shop.  Fine idea but it wound up being torture.

My point though, is it was very disheartening for me to actually here some of the people in charge of comics actually talk about them.  I'd always hoped in the back of my mind somewhere that the criticism I have of these guys just being fanboys was to some extent hyperbole.  After hearing them and the unprofessional opinions and approach they have to these characters I've got no hope for the future of comics.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Are you able to say that what they talked about, Andy? Not asking for names, of course.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version