Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q For Mr. Byrne: Any Good Examples Of De-Uniquing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 1  

Danny Fingeroth in Dazzler and David Anthony Kraft in Marvel Two-In-One gave us a light-hearted, well-adjusted, somewhat libidinous She-Hulk shortly before her appearance in Stern's Avengers. Kraft also gave her the pink caddy Stern disposed of in her first, full issue as an Avenger.

Edited by Brian Hague on 14 March 2016 at 4:55pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

Does having multiple Robins count as de-uniquing? I like Tim Drake, don't really like killing so many Robins though.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 6:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

What was ridiculous was when DC went to a sliding timeline that
established that the Justice League formed 5 years ago, but kept Dick
Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne all in continuity.
He went through a new Robin almost every year.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 4  

Does that include every iteration of the Justice League?

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

In the New52 there was only one Justice League until recently. 

As for the Robins, I assume there was a lot of crossover, with Batman keeping one in the wings. So Jason and perhaps, Tim were being trained with Dick was in the field. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

One of the reasons why Wolverine comics have a hard time selling these days is because the character is the victim of de-uniquing. There are so many damn Wolverine knockoffs (in regards to both powers and attitude towards killing bad guys) running around the MU that the character is no longer special or unique. When you add in his origin being revealed,his over exposure,and him being made an Avenger to the list of dumb things that have been done to the character over the last several years in the comics, we've just seen the perfect recipe of how to kill the appeal of a very interesting and unique character within the Marvel Universe.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 March 2016 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

Currently Marvel has two Angels, two Beasts and two Icemen running around. 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8  

Just off the top of my head -

Iron Man --> War Machine (Jim Rhodes), Iron Monger (Obidiah Stane), Rescue (Pepper Potts), Guardsman (Kevin O'Brien, Michael O'Brien), countless other armored heroes and villains (including the Red Guardian, Titanium Man, Force, etc)

Captain America --> Captain America/US Agent (John Walker), new Captain America (Sam Wilson), Bucky/Winter Soldier/Captain America (Bucky Barnes), other replacement/alternative Captain Americas (Isaiah Bradley, William Naslund/Spirit of '76, Patriot/Jeff Mace, William Burnside/Grand Director)

Hulk --> new Hulk (Amadeus Cho), Abomination, A-Bomb (Rick Jones), She-Hulk, Red Hulk (Thunderbolt Ross), Red She-Hulk (Betty Ross), Doc Samson

Thor --> new Thor (Jane Foster), Thor/Thunderstrike (Eric Masterson), Beta Ray Bill, Thor-Girl

Spider-Man --> Spider-Girl (May Parker), Spider-Girl (Anya Corazon), Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew), Spider-Woman (Julia Carpenter), Spider-Woman (Mattie Franklin), Spider-Gwen (Gwen Stacey), Silk (Cindy Moon), Spider-Man/Scarlet Spider (Ben Reilly), new Spider-Man (Miles Morales), Kaine/Scarlet Spider (Kaine Parker)

Hank Pym --> new Ant-Man (Scott Lang), Ant-Man/Black Ant (Eric O'Grady), Black Goliath/Giant-Man (Bill Foster), new Giant-Man (Raz Malhotra), Goliath/Atlas (Erik Josten), new Goliath (Tom Foster), Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara)

Wolverine --> X-23, Daken, Sabretooth

Not to mention two Black Widows, Black Panthers, Hawkeyes, Cyclops, Angels, Icemans and Beasts.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 9  

Marvel's hodgepodge assemblage of lookalikes and would-be wannabes is further complicated by it's ongoing love affair with alternate timelines, divergent futures, and parallel realities. The list of Spideys above looks pretty comprehensive, but you have to remember that there were literally hundreds of variant Spider-Men appearing in the recent giant Spider-Crisis saga. Arabian Spideys, Japanese Spideys, 1602 Spideys, Animated Spideys, Spidey from the Electric Company, Spider-Ham even stuck around afterwards, ala' Spider-Gwen. It's Spideys-a-go-go over at Marvel these days. I'm pretty sure there are fewer Green Lanterns, both past and present, than there are potential variant Spider-Men these days.

The regular "616" universe (and I cannot believe this is still a "thing" since the term was passing reference used by cosmic charlatans in a British comic written by Alan Moore of all people... I guess Marvel is simply desperate to use and enshrine whatever they can of Moore since they have so little of it...) is under constant attack and revision from the Age of Apocalypse and the Days of Future Past and the Other Days of Future Past and That Other Other Days of Future Past and the House of M and the Heroes Reborn Universe and Galactus only knows what all else...

De-uniquing? Marvel has made it their stock in trade. If you like Wolverine, come to Marvel! Having just the one running around in six different titles just wasn't enough... There are Old Men Wolverines and X-Baby Wolverines and Vampire Wolverines and Dead Wolverines and Wolverines from the Future and Wolverines from the Past... Except Sony is making too much bank on all of our Wolverines right now, so we're currently out of stock on everything but the Old Man version right now. He's right over there, with the Old Man versions of Steve Rogers and Nick Fury we're offering these days...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 10  

I feel all this alternate earth/universe stuff sucks the fun out of everything. I don't mind the fact that, decades ago, a Flash from one world could pop over to another one. However, they took it too far.

I was in awe of the Superman/Spider-Man crossovers. Not only did I enjoy them on their own terms, but they gave me retrospective enjoyment, i.e. I was now able to view early Stan Lee/Steve Ditko Spider-Man tales and be slightly in awe of the fact that the Superman I had grown up loving existed in that same fictional universe, around the time Parker was starting high school. I thought it was pretty cool, to be honest. 

And then Spider-Man met the Transformers. Wow! The web-slinger and the Autobots are part of the same fictional universe. I think that's pretty cool, too.

However...

A few years back, someone told me that 912-74 is the earth on which Spider-Man and the Transformers had their adventures. Who cares?!! And then someone had to tell me that the Superman/Spider-Man crossovers took place on an alternate earth (I do not remember the designation of that earth, nor do I care). Again, who cares?! So although I enjoyed, and still enjoy, the adventures, the publishers are telling me that these adventures didn't take place with the Superman or Spider-Man I love, but on some vague 912-74 earth elsewhere.

I cannot understand who would have come up with that. It adds nothing to the superhero universe. Cataloging is fine - if you're an archaeology professor or running a university library. Comics are meant to be FUN. I seriously cannot understand the mindset where someone would sit there and say this:

"We really need to start cataloging the earths. Get my secretary to work out a designation for the Spider-Man/Transformers crossover - and the DC/Marvel ones, too. We need to sort them out, pronto."

There was no need. I know that licenses lapse (i.e. I assume Godzilla is no longer a Marvel property) but that doesn't matter. Sure, it means we're not likely to see Godzilla attack Avengers Mansion, but it doesn't mean, just because the license has lapsed, that they need to designate an earth.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 5:37am | IP Logged | 11  

You can blame my late buddy Mark Gruenwald for much of that. Mark's nickname was "Captain Omniverse," and he very much wanted to turn Marvel into DC.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 12  

It just seems unnecessary. When Spider-Man showed up in a Transformers comic, my response was, "Wow, Optimus Prime and Spider-Man together!" It wasn't, "How does this fit in? What Earth does this take place on? What's the designation for that particular Earth?" 

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version