Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Should the tail wag the dog? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

Don't know if this pertains to your words, Mr Byrne, but I recall a time, maybe 11-13 years ago, where a lot of villains, i.e. Red Skull and others, seemed to be wearing black leather jackets. At the time, I thought, 'Are leather jackets back in fashion again?'
-----

Thank the Matrix for this
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Don't know if this pertains to your words, Mr Byrne, but I recall a time, maybe 11-13 years ago, where a lot of villains, i.e. Red Skull and others, seemed to be wearing black leather jackets. At the time, I thought, 'Are leather jackets back in fashion again?

-----

Thank the Matrix for this

•••

Fiddle-dee-dee! I had OMAC in black leather eight years before THE MATRIX. Just cuz I LIKE it! :)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, in the early nineties you were there with plenty of black leather in Namor and OMAC. I though it was pretty good!

Really loved the art in Namor. Not everything has to be superheroes in costumes for the whole issue. Namor had a really cool mix of the corporate milieu (angular offices and  slick 90s business fashions which you absolutely nailed with the art) with top notch derring-do.

A Namor movie following this blueprint would be a nice case of getting the dog to wag the tail. 

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 4  

Namor had such a cool aesthetic. Sadly, everything else ripped off the wrong parts of it shortly after. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 11:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

Disagree. I see no reason to duplicate what happens in the films in the comics. Some things will drift over, like has happened since comics were first adapted to the big screen ( and radio, comic strips, prose ect) but no need to transplant it whole cloth. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 6  

I don't understand why the Big 2 insist on trying to change the comics/characters so that they reflect or parallel the TV/movie versions of those characters in order to get people who watch the TV shows and movies to buy the comics when the official tie in comics to those movie and TV adaptions do not sell well or bring in new readers.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 7  

Let comics have their own continuity,let movies/tv have their own and never the twain shall meet. You can have comic adaptations of movies as that's a whole 'nother thing,but say for example drawing a comic character to make them look more like their movie counterpart? No,no and again no. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't understand why the Big 2 insist on trying to change the comics/characters so that they reflect or parallel the TV/movie versions of those characters…

••

Start by asking why the Big Two allow their characters to be changed so radically for the movies!

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9  

When comics are translated into live action, it often happens that the directors and writers knows a damn thing about the source material.
For instance Bryan Singer admitted he had never read or cared about X-Men (or superhero comics in general I think) before he was asked to make the movies. So what he had was the characters, their appearance, powers, some background story and the basic plotline about the comic book run the studio wanted to adapt.

Directors and scriptwriters who makes a movie based on a novel, TV-series or comic they love, will produce a different movie than a director who is just handed over some basic elements and told to put it together into some cool action. If we use X-Men as an example again; just like at the way we are presented mutants with different powers. Maybe it's just me, but I did not like the way it was done.

Emotionally speaking, reading a comic is in general a whole other experience than seeing a movie or TV-show. At least if it connects with you. If we had a blind person who could read emotions instead of thoughts, the person would be able to say "this one is reading a comic, he is watching a movie, she is reading a comic too, and he is reading a novel". Both pizza and ice cream can taste amazing, but they still taste different.
If you make a comic feel like you are experiencing stills from live action at the costs of the typical comic book mood and atmosphere, you have lost the elements which makes a comic different from shows and movies.

(Another example about movie adaptation: My problem with Hulk is that they have used The Rampaging Hulk instead of The Incredible Hulk as inspiration for the movie version. His inability to speak is a legacy from the Lou Ferrigno TV-series.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10  

The excuse made for changes in the source material is "A _______ is not a movie." But as I respond, what's closer to a movie than a comic book? Suppose they'd taken the Spider-Man origin as seen in AMAZING FANTASY, folded it together with the first Doctor Octopus story, and essentially used the comics themselves as "storyboards"? Would that have produced a bad movie?

Worked for the first SIN CITY!

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

Since a movie is usually 90 to 120 minutes long, I guess there is sometimes a need for some compromise if we are talking about a long storyline and they try to fit it all into one movie. "We'll know it when we see it." But there shouldn't be any reasons for making changes for no other reasons than the changes themselves, which often seems to be the case. Then it's no longer "based on" but "inspired by".

The medium itself should not be used as an excuse, despite the fact they are reminded about the differences when they encounter obstacles during the adaptation.

I think Steven Spielberg said he used the comics as a storyboard to some degree when he made Tintin, even if it was not live action.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

Start by asking why the Big Two allow their characters to be changed so radically for the movies!

What I dislike is that movie studios don't let comic adaptations have their way. I've read about many comic adaptations or novelizations that HAD to stick close to what the movies envisioned. Fair enough.

So why are movie studios allowed to piss all over comics? Raimi should not have been allowed to give Parker organic webs!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version