Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Does Not Compute (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

That Garcia Lopez art makes me realize how much I miss Superman!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

Right now, you can walk into any comics shop and buy any of SEVEN different Supermans!  There are--

1. The New 52 armored Superman
2. The Lois and Clark bearded Superman (from Convergence--is this the John Byrne version now a refugee on the New 52 Earth?)
3. The Adventures of Superman often red-trunked version
4. The "Earth-One" Straczynski graphic novel youngish hoodie Superman
5. Any version appearing in that Earth 2 or Society comic (still going?)
6. The Smallville comic continuation
7. The Neal Adams red-trunked, sci fi belted Coming of the Supermen Superman

not to mention--
8. Back issues or Showcase reprints of the Curt Swan version
9. Back issues or Man of Steel reprints of the John Byrne version
10. Any kid version that shows up in their kiddie line (there are always at least some children's book "Intro" books out), usually in the style of the Justice League cartoon shows

Sorry!  DC is actively publishing/selling TEN different versions of Superman any given month!  (Did I miss any?)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 25 February 2016 at 5:17pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2016 at 12:14am | IP Logged | 3  

As I understand the premise of the Jurgens Lois and Clark book, that's the Superman from Jurgens' time on the title, the Superman of "Death of Superman," "Return of the Supermen," et al. He's the post-Zero Hour version rather than a straight-up continuation of JB's Man of Steel. 

For awhile, there was also the Art Balthazar ("Aw, Yeah!") kiddie version alongside the animated version. That collection of books had its own continuity, separate from the Animated books or Supergirl, Adventures in the Eighth Grade. Although he doesn't have his own comic (or at least I don't recall his having his own), the Earth-23 Obama-inspired Calvin Ellis version is still a going concern. According to Morrison's Multiversity line of comics, every version of every character you've ever seen is still in existence, more or less, somewhere ala' Waid's Hypertime, including the slavering, warhead-clutching goofball-madman Morrison himself gave us near the end of his run on Animal-Man. And isn't there going to be yet another Dark Knight follow-up? That version of Superman will likely re-appear when that hits the stands, probably getting beat up by Peachy Pet or little Susie Thompkins. Miller has a point he's making here, dammit!!

In short, if there's ever been a Superman you've seen somewhere, DC likely has an on-deck circle somewhere on the playing field where he's warming up for a return to the plate. And of course, this means that the road ahead is wide open for creating new and newer, Nu and Even More Nu'er versions in the times to come...

Remember when just having Earth-2 and a handful of non-identical worlds for characters from different companies was considered such a terrible, terrible thing? Sigh... I kinda miss the Bridwell/Schaffenberger Mr. & Mrs. Superman version. :-) Of course, I think Infinite Crisis and its attendant spin-offs and tie-ins killed him and Lois off very, very thoroughly... And then Blackest Night brought them both back as zombies... So who knows? Anything's possible...

I do think your list is comprehensive for the current books on the stands, Eric. I don't think DC is still doing their Golden Age reprints (Archives & Chronicles) but those are still on the shelf in most stores as well.

Edited by Brian Hague on 26 February 2016 at 12:17am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2016 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 4  

Regarding the mixed message in the marketing, I believe the general public doesn't have much trouble with the multiple characters they're seeing. 

There's Old School, ala' Garcia-Lopez or John Romita, usually shown on pre-weathered, distressed-style t-shirts and there's the New Version, which most don't go in for as much since the transitory nature of their appearance is kind of built-in. Buy the new version and you risk being out of fashion in six months. Buy the Classic and you're good to go.

Classic Mickey Mouse will always sell. Newer versions (Disco Mickey anyone?) not so much so. Still, some people like to stay current, so those are out there as well.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version