Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: What book turned you into a regular reader? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 1  

I love that cover!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 2  

The UK reprint Mighty World of Marvel issue 1.
I had older brothers who bought comics (I was three at the time that comic was published) so comics were just always around.
We were voracious comic readers - all the Marvel reprints as well as UK comics like Warlord, Battle, Action, 200 A.D. etc

My parents didn't have a lot of money but they would be able to buy comics which we all shared. The only time they made a concession to the fact that all four boys wanted the same comic was 2000 A.D. issue 1 as we all wanted the spinner. Four issue 1s, all ripped up by my dad one day in a clear out to make room for other crap we were collecting. We still laugh about that.

Aaron Most
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 3  

While I had read a lot of my dad's comics as a kid, it was this cover that caught my eye at the Circle K in Wickenburg, AZ and got me to start spending my own cash.

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 4  

JB's post (#3) of Batman #119 sparked a memory, I had read the same story, but didn't recognize the cover. Missing covers were fairly common in my early comicbook reading/looking years, but I did some searching at Mike's Amazing World of Comics and the GCD. I found the most probable publication, containing the same story, I would have seen. Reviewing the covers brought a feeling of nostalgia.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2016 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 5  

I had a few comics which had been given to me earlier but this is the comic I first remember actually picking up myself off the newsstand, which became a regular habit at that point. Richie Rich was my favorite character for several years. This issue is cover dated April 1978.

For superhero books, Spider-Man was probably the first. I picked up issues here and there but this was probably the point at which I started picking up the issues regularly and specifically looking for them. Both these issues are cover dated February 1981 and are Spider-Man from the new and reprint standpoint.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 6  

JB - Oh, man! GIANT-SIZED AVENGERS 2! SO good. So disheartening! Almost made me seek honest emoyment!

It's always interesting to see what a person in the business thinks of a personal favorite - I think the best things you can say about this story is that it still holds up very well 40 years later, and visually it's as good as it gets.  It made me want to go and read more Marvel stories.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 7  

My mom and dad found it at the laundromat.  I read it and was hooked.  

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 8  

I was not and am not a fan of fantasy or sword-and-sorcery, with a few notable exceptions.

One is the Hobbit. But for some reason, Mike Grell's Warlord and Roy & Dann Thomas' Arak were completely compelling to me for a time. Perhaps it was the tenuous but nevertheless important connections to the "real world." In any case, both were obsessions of mine for a time, right up to the point when they weren't. :-)

I also had a brief "war comics" period as well, come to think of it, touched off by back issues of Weird War Tales, then-current ones with the Creature Commandoes, and the issue of DCCP (#10) in which an amnesiac and time-displaced Superman joins Easy Co. as "Tag-Along."

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm not a fan of war comics, but one of the earliest series I collected was a UK title called Battle Action Force, and I loved it at the time (Action Force was a line of toys in the UK that was a little like GI Joe and then eventually actually became GI Joe, while Battle was a pre-existing war comic that started doing Action Force stories  -- a bit of a muddled history). 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2016 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

Warlord (#7) was a different milestone for me.  That was when I decided "I want to do this!"  (Write and draw my own comics, not fight dinosaurs and barbarians.)

Edited by Eric Jansen on 27 February 2016 at 6:13pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version