Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: What book turned you into a regular reader? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 1  

UNCANNY X-MEN 172.
Back to Top profile | search

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

This story started it for me as more than a casual reader of comics although I didn't read these issues until 1987. I was 16 at the time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, man! GIANT-SIZED AVENGERS 2! SO good. So disheartening! Almost made me seek honest emoyment!

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

For comics it was Star Wars #1, which I followed for a while.  As I followed the title, I came to become aware of the stylized art of Carmine Infantino.

As for super hero comics, it was Dazzler #2, believe it or not.  That hooked me and I had to know who the X-Men, Avengers and Fantastic Four were.

From there, my first comics were Fantastic Four #232 (good call on that one), X-Men #147 (I was lost on the Phoenix references) and Avengers #207.

Matt Clouser
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 5  

The first comic I remember reading was Justice League #55 (1967)

But the comic that got me coming back for more was Fantastic Four #102 (1970) !!

Edited by Matt Clouser on 23 February 2016 at 10:02pm

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

This one!

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think it was this one. The Superman covers of this era promised what my young mind thought must be the absolute height of DRAMA!!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Man, THAT's Superman!

James Lansberry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

Long story short; after seeing those awesome Mike Mignola covers on THE INCREDIBLE HULK during the Crossroads storyline and pestering to buy one, my mother finally caved in and bought me HULK ANNUAL #14 instead.  (This was after she had to buy multiple copies of issue #296 for various reasons, she said, "no more!") 
It was during a summer stay at my grandparents house in Southern Idaho that had me on the hunt for HULK #321, 322 and 323.  Each issue was at various local grocery stores, and the hunt thrilled me.  My poor grandmother, though...driving from town to town...store to store.  She felt terrible because she didn't have the money on-hand to buy #322, so we'd "Get it tomorrow."  Next day -- gone. 
Haven't stopped since...  

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

From 1978, DC COMICS PRESENTS # 1 and SUPERMAN # 325 are among the first comics where I can clearly recall the title and issue number. Those comic packs were the only way I got comics until local stores stopped selling them in 1979. That's when I discovered most places that had comics sold them one at a time and 'unwrapped.' I picked up with those titles, plus JUSTICE LEAGUE and BRAVE AND THE BOLD, and rarely missed an issue of any of them after the fall of '79. I was a hit or miss Marvel reader until I started to consciously collect AMAZING SPIDER-MAN in 1983, starting with # 253. I got every issue new off the stands from #267 til around # 375, my only title with a consecutive-issue streak in three figures.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2016 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

This one got the ball rolling for me... I had read a copy of Marvel's Greatest Comics #36 less than a year before and then I saw the FF and Galactus staring at me from the spinner rack and just had to grab a copy to see what was going to happen. And the artwork was fabulous, thanks to our host :-)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 February 2016 at 1:43am | IP Logged | 12  

Avengers #181 got me really into comics as an 8 year old kid. And Fantastic Four #243 (already posted by Steve De Young above) sucked me back in when I thought I'd gotten away from comics at 13. It was also Byrne's run on West Coast Avengers that got me back into comics yet again a few years after I'd sold all my comics. This whole obsession is totally John Byrne's fault.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 25 February 2016 at 1:45am

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version