Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: What book turned you into a regular reader? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

G.I. Joe #2. My older brother picked it up from 7-11 for me after I came home from baseball practice. He bought comics regularly but I was forbidden by him to look at them. While I had picked up #1 the previous month I didn't realize that there would be a #2. 
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 2  

Similar to JB, here in Australia I got started on comics in the late '70s via cheap (B&W) reprints of Marvel titles. When I turned 11, and got a bump up in my weekly allowance, I decided to buy the occasional original US Marvel title, a few copies of which would irregularly appear alongside the reprints at my local newsagency.

Keep in mind that while an Aussie reprint typically contained three full comics' worth of stories for around 90 cents, a single imported original US 60c cover price Marvel would cost $1.00 Australian back in 1982. So it was a big deal for me, and with my limited allowance it was Captain America 272 that swung my decision in favor of starting to collect and regularly read a current series:

The combination of the Mike Zeck/John Beatty artwork and the gritty story drew me in. Of course finding the latest issue of a series - even when searching across several different newsagencies - became very difficult, so for Captain America for example I missed 273, 275, 280, 283 etc.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 10:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

a dollar australian for a 60 cent u.s priced comic is pretty good,koroush! I think when i got comics they were like 1.50 for a dollar u.s priced comic. Nowadays it's practically double whatever the u.s price is,but that's another topic for another time. Nice to see another aussie around here!

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

I too had a few dozen comics before collecting any one title on a regular basis. This was due more from being a kid and having my parents say "ok pic just one". Tho when I was a little older this was the first comic book series that I stared with. 

The cover wow'ed me and my thought was "Cool, number one issue of a Spider-Man. I can start reading a Spider-Man story line from a beginning because ASM was so far along at #163". Sheez.

When my allowance and penny saving increased these were the next two regulars I could add.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 5  

Jess Sowerby wrote:
a dollar australian for a 60 cent u.s priced comic is pretty good,koroush! I think when i got comics they were like 1.50 for a dollar u.s priced comic. Nowadays it's practically double whatever the u.s price is,but that's another topic for another time. Nice to see another aussie around here!

Hi Jess, yes there's a few of us on JBF. And yes, the price of comics started rising rapidly in Australia - especially for graphic novels. I remember buying my first graphic novel in 1984, Dave Cockrum's The Futurians, for $13 Australian (US$6.95 cover price) which was a big chunk of cash for a 13 year old back then.

Anyway back to the topic at hand!

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 6  

daredevil 158 with Death-Stalker on the cover.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 7  

Avengers 108.

I hadn't started officially collecting comics yet, but I recall my Dad would buy comics randomly from 7-11.

Avengers 108 was the issue that I always remembered. This is the one that hooked me into super hero comics more then any other issue.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 23 February 2016 at 1:34am

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 8  

My dad would occasionally grab me a comic from the spinner rack at the gas station after he filled up on the way home from school, so I had a little stack like the OP of various things.  But what started me reading was when I, for the first time, got two issues in a row of the same title, and they were these:

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 9  

I'm pretty sure these were my first DC and Marvel comics (both Feb. 1975) and I was hooked from that moment on.  I would say the ACTION one was the one that really started me off, while SPIDER-MAN took a few issues to really take hold.  Before these, I had probably been reading random RICHIE RICH and ARCHIE for a year or so.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 10  

Back to Top profile | search | www

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Y'know, all the covers posted make me curious to actually find out what's going on inside...

A lost art!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2016 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 12  

I, for the first time, got two issues in a row of the same title, and they were these [FF 242 and 243].

Wow. And I assume the last three decades or so have been spent trying, in vain, to find another two consecutive issues of a comic since those that were equally as awesome.

(Although, FF 249 and 250 are pretty strong...)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version