Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: What book turned you into a regular reader? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 1  

When I was a kid, I had a few dozen comics that I'd acquired from here and there. A few Spider-
Mans, a handful of Supermans and a couple of LSHs. When Star Wars came out, I paid a little more
attention to comics, but it was still a "grab one if I happen to see it" situation.

That all changed when a friend introduced me to the X-Men. He gave me most of the back-story,
heavily weighted in favor of his favorite character, Phoenix, and her subsequent death. I picked up
X-Men 150 from the newsstand, and became a reader for life. After that, it was weekly visits to the
comic store. Before long, I'd expanded into the Avengers, the Fantastic Four, the New Teen Titans,
Batman, and the Legion of Super-Heroes.

Eventually, I was able to pick up all of the X-Men back issues to 94, and even got Dave Cockrum
to sign 101.

Does anyone else have an issue they can pinpoint as their "turning point"?

Back to Top profile | search

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 2  

Hmm i guess what opened my eyes to comics was reprints of spider-man,specifically the one where the goblin unmasks peter. But if we're talking total addiction it would be the bi-weekly spider-man stuff around 1989-1990.when on visits to the city i would come across comic stores and issues that were months ahead of the newsagents back home. By then i'd have been about 12.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 3  

I suppose for me it was BATMAN 119, tho this requires several qualifications.

I'd begun reading American comics in reprint from, when I was a child in England. After we emigrated to Canada in March of 1958, it was a few months before I discovered these characters in their native habitats. I still recall the AWE I felt walking into the books and magazines section of Eaton's department store, on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, and seeing what looked to me like a literal WALL of comics. The number of titles was overwhelming, but my eyes settled on this cover…

…and what had been a "love affair" turned into a "marriage."

Typical of the shoddy distribution in my part of Canada at the time, I missed issues 120 and 121, as well as 123, 125 and 126. And this was when BATMAN was on a twice-quarterly publishing schedule! It wasn't until 133 that I started seeing the issues on something like a regular basis, but I was thoroughly hooked despite this.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 4  

My big brother had reprints of some of Al Williamson's majestic Flash Gordon run.  If I had to point fingers, I'd say this issue.  Totally blew my mind.  Looking at the Williamson Flash Gordon book, it still does.  
Artistically, it's a deeeep influence for me.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 5  

Fantastic Four 171 was the first one that I pulled off the rack. I'm not sure why, but it just grabbed me. It had the giant yellow gorilla Gorr on the cover, so maybe there's something to that old DC theory that apes on the cover were better sellers!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 6  

AVENGERS 233 (1983)

I had been reading comic books for a few years, but it was random and inconsistent.  I would read whatever title I got my hands on, but actually following a title, month to month, didn't occur until this issue. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 7  

For me, I guess I can trace it back to this:

I grabbed comics here and there prior to this, but not consistently until the first issue of the Transformers. It was a double-whammy, as it not only began my being a lifelong fan of the Transformers, but it was my "gateway drug" to the rest of the Marvel Universe proper.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 8  

If you mean by "buying the books on a weekly basis", no one book in particular for me.  It was finding a comic book store in 1977 that allowed me that opportunity!

But if you mean by which books was it that got me buy super-hero books (I was reading funny books prior to the super hero stuff in the late 60's/early 70's), it was this:

Soon thereafter I discovered Justice League and i was hooked forever.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 9  

Around age 6, I came to inherit a box o' comics apparently picked up by a relative at a garage sale.  That box included a bunch of silver age Marvel and DCs (mostly ripped to shreds) including Silver Surfer 6 and 17, a bunch of Marvel's Greatest Comics (including a reprint of the second Thing / Hulk encounter) and Marvel Tales (including an early Spidey / Green Goblin battle) plus some Captain Americas and Tales of Suspense.  Great stuff!  There were a few DCs too and at the time the one that made the biggest impression was Super DC Giant S-16 which reprinted a Flash / Batman team-up wherein the Flash lost his powers plus the origin and first appearance of Metamorpho.  This comic fascinated me and while I couldn't subscribe to Metamorpho (he'd long since lost his own title) I did get a subscription to The Flash. I sure miss Super DC Giants and the "100 pages for 60 cents" comics of those days.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Prior to the reintroduction of the Doom Patrol in Showcase, I'd been allowed to buy one or two comics, every now and then. I've gone back and checked using back issues of the Comic Reader and the Mike's Amazing Comics website. My comic reading was intense, but sporadic until this... 

Afterwards, it was ten comics or more a month for years, a not inconsiderable expense for my parents, for which I thank them very much.

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 February 2016 at 10:35am

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 11  

This is the one that hooked me and opened the door to other titles. At the same time and a little before AF#12 was The Micronauts off and on! Where my family used to live, the stores stopped carrying comics. A few years later we moved 3 hours north of where we lived and the stores there carried comics and I saw that the Micronauts was still going. So I started getting them again but only The Micronauts until a friend showed me AF#12!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2016 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

This got me into regularly collecting a weekly comic, though it was largely filled with rather melodramatic fumetti (which I had no real problem with at the time, though my favourite strip was the traditionally-drawn Dan Dare):

There were always old Marvel comics lying around when I was a young child (all from jumble sales) but this is what got me into Marvel in a big, big way:

UK comics were big with free gifts, especially in the early issues...

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version