Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC Rebirth (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2016 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

I feel your pain, Pete.

Isn't this the 3rd or 4th reboot since about 2003/2004?
Back to Top profile | search

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Paradoxically, I can't wait for a new Marvel reboot. I don't like the current Marvel very much.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

Doesn't appear to be a reboot, just a rebranding for the next "phase". That seems to be the thing now, "branding". 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 February 2016 at 11:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

True. DC is trying to sell this more as the next DCYou than the next Nu52.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'd like to provide a 'civilian' perspective.

A friend of mine hasn't read comics on a regular basis in years. However, he does sort of keep up with things. He said to me via e-mail last night, "Seems like DC are always starting again." It's off-putting to potential new readers. 

My younger brother, who doesn't read many comics, asked why things were starting again? He doesn't understand it.

Who are these reboots targeted at? Long-time readers? No, they'll be bored with it. Potential new readers? I doubt it.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

I may give some of the Rebirth titles a shot. But I will have even less patience with these than I did with the New 52 books. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mike: Doesn't appear to be a reboot, just a rebranding for the next "phase". That seems to be the thing now, "branding".

This is nutty. It's called "Rebirth" and is being heralded as some kind of event that is even MORE than an event and is actually a way of getting back to their roots, but... it's NOT a reboot? It's just a re-branding?

In other words, they want the reputation of rebooting too often, without actually creating the opportunities which rebooting could offer.

Maybe it's an "in-continuity" re-set like JB wanted to do way back on Man of Steel? Yeah... I don't think so.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 01 March 2016 at 9:03pm

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2016 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

That's very interesting,robbie. When you look at it you think that DC do seem to be aiming it at new readers.New #1's,new stories etc. But then you can't really ignore the press that comes out when they do this and people as you say do get put off. They certainly aren't thinking of older readers when they do this even though they do the ol' re-numbering with Detective and Action. When i see these stories whether it be DC or the new new new new nu-marvel (slight doctor who joke) i just think 'gimmick'. I've a bunch of Earth 2 society issues from the last 9 months that i haven't even read. I'd have been better off getting the collection.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 9  

Thing is, Jess, the window between reboots is getting shorter. Superman wasn't rebooted (if that is the correct terminology) until 1986, 48 years after his first appearance. I think the next one was 2003, seventeen years later.

Since 2003/2004, how many have there been? DC was rebooted again in 2011. That's less than five years ago. What are they doing? Will we be having annual reboots afterwards?

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2016 at 5:38am | IP Logged | 10  

Everytime a new DC hit movie comes along or a hit TV show they feel they have to change,and so a reboot becomes necessary.As a result not only are they alienating the old fans who have stuck with them without question they alienate the fans they are just gaining with all this chopping and changing and very little in the way of actual stability.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2016 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 11  

You're right, Jess. I am fed up with this 'incestuous' relationship between comics and their TV counterparts. It was bad enough when it was rare (i.e. Sandman not being allowed on the 90s Spider-Man cartoon because the then-planned film wanted him). And didn't DC have to hold off on a wedding between Clark Kent and Lois Lane because of waiting for the TV series? That was bad enough.

Now it just seems too incestuous. Comics are comics. Films are films. TV shows are TV shows. James Bond novels are still published, but I doubt the publishers insist the movies follow a certain path (nor do I expect the movie studio forces the publishers to follow a certain path). They co-exist. 

The comics should be allowed to follow their own continuity/path. The movies should follow their path. And the TV shows should follow their own path. Too many tails wagging too many dogs!

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2016 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 12  

I completely agree with what you say,robbie. There came a time when the big 2 stopped making as much on comics as they did and i think certainly Walking Dead needs to shoulder a lot of blame for this. When that was a huge hit suddenly marvel and dc started making their characters more like the movie characters,more like the TV characters.There's a lot of money to be made from franchises,and they're not characters anymore..they're franchises. I only wish some creators were allowed to keep the rights for their characters so we didn't see this blatant line blurring of characters we all know and love

*steps off soap box* lol ;)

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version