Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC Rebirth (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 1  

Jim Lee couldn't do the bi-weekly X-Men issues in the late 80's early 90's why would he be able to do a bi-weekly Suicide Squad?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2  

Jim Lee couldn't do the monthly Superman Unchained. Well, he did (and I enjoyed it), but it wasn't actually monthly.
Although I don't tend to be as negative as most people here, what I thought when I read there is going to be so many bi-weekly titles is: are they going to use two or three different artist on each title? Because I don't like that at all.
Also, in the New-52 I've seen several promising runs that ended up frustrated "thanks" to a crossover event. A revolutionary concept worthy of a rebirth might be to let writers develop their ideas.

Edited by Sergio Saavedra on 20 February 2016 at 11:42am
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

Red Hood and the Outlaws? Why the deuce does a book that didn't exist 5 years ago need a Rebirth?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 4  

"DC Rebirth:

We're really, really, truly gonna really do it RIGHT this time. Really!

This time!"

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 5  

DC-Afterbirth may be more apt!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 6  

Trying to imagine other forms of entertainment where reboots would be accepted. The analogies won't be perfect, but I'll try.

Imagine if professional wrestling, every so often, stripped ALL wrestlers of title belts, put them up in tournaments and presented a PPV event called "The New Beginning". And featured the same matches each time.

What if bands split up, laid low for a while, reformed and said that they were going to re-record their first few albums with a few subtle changes? How bored would we be?

Imagine if films did it (oh, actually they do). 

Reinvention is better. Look at DOCTOR WHO. IN the 60s, they decided to give us the regeneration angle to keep things fresh and help the show survive when William Hartnell was no longer able to continue. Imagine if they'd instead cast a Hartnell-lookalike, started the show again and represented the first episode story.

Imagine if every few years, TV networks, instead of reinventing shows, ended them, filmed a new pilot with a similar plot to the original pilot - and then revisited certain first season episodes. We'd be bored, quite rightly.

It seems TV shows can do reinvention. As can wrestling. Film franchises can re-cast (although they are going down the "Let's have a reboot every few years" road). Bands can reinvent themselves. It seems only comics want to navel gaze and give us another 'origin' retelling, revisit things, etc.

Also, what are CRISIS and REBIRTH type of events about? Who are they targeted at? A 21-year old family member of mine, with a mild interest in comics, probably won't have read or heard of the original CRISIS so why would he be interested? 

Frustrating mindset about this is that I don't see this being the last rebirth. CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, whilst not strictly needed in my view, should have been the first and last rebirth/reboot. Or maybe ZERO HOUR. How many have there been since, i.e. Superman's 2003 retelling, frequent Year One stories, INFINITE CRISIS, etc. Will this really be the last rebirth?

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 5:00am | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah robbie you are right.Fans seem to be more tolerant to comic reboots than to other reboots of any kind. You look at some bands touring now who've been around for years,like foreigner for example,not an single original member of the group in the band,but put out a new justice league #1 especially if jim lee or bryan hitch is drawing it and the fans can't get enough. Wanna bet though that the reboot will probably be used in a warners show like Big Bang Theory down the line.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 8  

Did Mick Jones quit Foreigner?

I'm waiting to see how Didio is going to screw things up.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 21 February 2016 at 7:05am

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 9  

Sorry shawn,perhaps i worded it badly. Mick Jones according to wiki is still with the band. No other member from the 70's or 80's is with the band. Mostly band members from 2004. I'll talk about the bands advertising themselves as being the same band even though they're not in a completely different thread!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 10  

Yeah robbie you are right.Fans seem to be more tolerant to comic reboots than to other reboots of any kind.

Indeed. 

It's what drove me away. It may have gained readers (I guess some want a jumping on point) but I got bored. I'm sitting here craving a Juggernaut/Destroyer battle, or Teen Titans VS Professor Zoom, and instead of relatively fresh concepts, I'm getting notifications of another reboot. It's boring.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 11  

Jess,
That is actually a pretty cool thread idea! 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2016 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Johns says that this isn't going to reboot the DC Universe. The goal here is to re-connect this present iteration of things with DC's history; to re-establish the sense of "legacy" the DCU once possessed. Johns and the other writers, he said, have held talks where obscure, forgotten, or simply troweled over characters and events were brought up and discussed until a place could be found for them in the new scheme of things. Until they could be given a purpose to exist in continuity again.

Johns points out that in his previous "Rebirth" titles, GL and the Flash, he was able to successfully bring back not just Hal and Barry, although that very much looked like the point of the exercise, but also find new roles for Guy, John, the Corps, Zoom, the Rogues, etc... Creatively, those books were largely successful. The Rainbow Corps and Blackest Night concepts are still generating story material years afterwards. Same with the Flash, specifically in regards to the TV show. The two things long-time fans criticize most about the Nu52 restart, held-over GL storylines and multiple Robins, would become the very sort of foundation Johns would establish for the rest of the line.

So if there's no Krypto in the Nu52/DCYou universe now, Johns and the DC crew will have, in theory, talked about what Krypto might mean and where he might have a role if he were brought back... And in the case of Krypto, they might have a point, I think, in re-establishing the character. New readers who like dogs might conceivably see a dog in a cape on the cover of a book and pick up said book. There's no other "hit" quite like that without Krypto or a Krypto stand-in.

Where I can't the purpose of this is in finding a "new place" for, say, Stephanie Brown, Conner Kent, Morgan Edge, Maxwell Lord, and everybody else who's ever been a storyline-specific or background character, everyone who might conceivably be seen as part of a "legacy." I believed one of the few strengths the Nu52 relaunch had was in not looking back and trying to drag every little jot and tittle from the past forward into the future. Much like Crisis, however, no one gave much thought past the blank slate they were creating for themselves. Everyone pretty much agreed a blank slate would be a good idea. Everyone turned themselves inside-out coming up with ways to provide themselves with one. 

Once done, however, there suddenly wasn't much to do with it. The Post-Crisis writers kept sneaking out back to sift through the dumpsters for stuff to bring back in. How many "new" versions of the Crime Syndicate did we get? I counted at least three. And two new Comet the Super-Horse variants. The Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 was literally the first thing Crisis wiped out. Might it have done so for a reason? 

Nu52 did far less of that until recently. Convergence was an exercise in dragging the dumpster back into the room and upending it to look at all the junk again. Were they simply out of other ideas? I don't know. I wasn't reading much of what they doing. None of it looked interesting. Convergence was interesting from my own limited perspective because there was the "original" Earth-2 Dick Grayson and Helena Wayne again. Hell, there was the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3 again, fer cryin' out loud. I still didn't buy any of it, since I know from experience that none of it was going to stick. It was a stunt. 

Bringing all that sort of stuff back now in the style Johns is suggesting would be something beyond a stunt. It would "matter." These concepts would now have firmer footing in DC's line of comics. They would simply fade away. So, I can see the logic here... 

If you're only targeting fans like me, who for whatever reason feel connected to Krypto or the Crime Syndicate or Stephanie Brown. DC is once again giving up on new readers; giving up on creating the next thing that would hook readers, and instead going back to the dumpster in the alley, hitting the stuff from there with a hose, and reselling it to us. 

Us. To no one else. Because there just may be no one else, now or ever again.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version