Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: DC Rebirth (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 1  

How many reboots has Johns done for DC now?

I know he didn't want to do the New 52. That was all Didio. Which I guess explains why he's partially undoing it now. 
Back to Top profile | search

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

Well, anything that promise to return the characters to a place more true to the originals is worth having a look (and be taken with caution). I'm happy for now. I hope it's going to be better than what Marvel has done with the characters -have you read Spider-Man with his planes and robots and going international?-.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

-have you read Spider-Man with his planes and robots and going international?-.

Yep - I think I am done reading Amazing Spider-Man for now. Strangely enough, the Miles Morales book feels way more like an actual Spider-Man book at this point.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

Isn't this the 999th reboot since about 2003? 

I exaggerate, I know. It bores me. It's anal. It's pedantic. And who cares? 

Remember when they found inventive ways to reboot without actually rebooting/renumbering, i.e. BATMAN being subtitled "The New Adventures" in the 80s when Jason Todd became Robin? Remember the time when it was simply enough to have the words "A Bold New Direction" on a comic cover? Or a few words from the editor, i.e., "We're taking this title in a new and exciting direction - stay with us."

Imagine if this mindset had been around decades ago. BATMAN and DETECTIVE COMICS would have renumbered when Dick Grayson went to college, when Jason Todd became Robin, when Jason Todd died, when Tim Drake became Robin, etc. Imagine if they'd done it with other titles, too. Spider-Man's comics would have all rebooted/been renumbered when Parker went off to college, when Harry Osborn became Green Goblin, etc.

Just give us good, fresh stories. I believe that can still be done. I can think of many scenarios where it could be done. Have the Teen Titans ever faced Professor Zoom? Has the Riddler ever plagued a city outside Gotham? How about Green Arrow taking on Man-Bat or Lex Luthor teaming up with Mr. Freeze? Surely there are new scenarios and fights we can all see. Instead, they just seem to want gimmicks, reboots, renumbering and so much else. It's not appealing.

Not only does it put off lapsed fans like myself, but it can't be good for new fans, too. 

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

A wonderful opportunity to do everything wrong. Again.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 6  

And 17 of them are twice monthly?  Why?  Because it was so easy to keep the quality high on all the monthly books?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

17 bi-weekly books? Rebirth is indeed a bold experiment ... with their readers' wallets. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

And 17 of them are twice monthly?  Why?  Because it was so easy to keep the quality high on all the monthly books?
---------------------------------
To be fair, Batman and Superman were basically weekly for a couple decades, albeit under four or five different titles.  The Superman books even had a continuous story from title to title, remember the diamond numbers?

Having a bi-weekly Superman, a bi-weekly Batman, and a monthly Action and Detective is actually cutting back.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2016 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 9  

17 bi-weekly books? Rebirth is indeed a bold experiment ... with their readers' wallets.

They can't get their artists to maintain a monthly schedule, how the hell will they do it bi-weekly???  Especially when you have "rose growers" like Van Sciver and Hitch doing books.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 3:22am | IP Logged | 10  

I don't know much about business but I know I wouldn't give the job to fix something to the same people that broke it in the first place.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 11  

It seems as if this is another situation of a man who cannot swim jumping into the ocean for the experience, counting on someone to throw them a life preserver... and there keep being fewer and fewer life preservers every time.

They are so far gone that there isn't even a status quo to RETURN to anymore. Everything has been turned, twisted, and convoluted so that no one could accept, say, the silver age concepts (or whenever the characters came out.)

Plus, there are the movies that must be supported by the comics. I feel that DCs bosses are praying that A) "Batman vs Superman" makes Marvel's output look like infomercials and B) that movie will completely revitalize the comic sales.

If I were a betting man - and I am - I would wager high amounts at long odds that neither of those is going to occur. And ANOTHER restart will come in another couple of years, to try to get more readers. Which also won't happen.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 12  

They can't get their artists to maintain a monthly schedule, how the hell will they do it bi-weekly???  Especially when you have "rose growers" like Van Sciver and Hitch doing books.

Jim Lee is drawing Suicide Squad apparently. Jim Lee drawing a twice a month comic sounds like the worst idea of all time on paper. I predict he lasts one and a half issues

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version