Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: NEWSSTAND DISTRIBUTION (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

"So, I can only guess that 
the price increase for a newsstand edition 
is an incentive for them to continue 
carrying to books."

Okay, that makes sense for putting out multi-feature magazines like Marvel especially has tried through the years with MARVEL KNIGHTS, MARVEL SUPER-HEROES MEGAZINE, or the various kid-oriented magazines.  But 22 pages for $5 is ridiculous!

Raising prices in comics has always been an issue of perceived value.  If everybody is selling 20 pages for $3, then that must be what they cost and are worth.  $4 for 28 or 30 pages seems reasonable looking at the 20-pagers.  A movie costs $12-16 for two hours of enjoyment, a $3 or $4 comic seems equivalent.  A gallon of milk or a gallon of gas also costs an average of $3, and comics always seemed in line with these things.  ARCHIE will give you 100 pages for that price at the supermarket checkout.

A $5 comic breaks all the rules!  Nobody will pay that...except maybe a CEO who would never step foot inside a comic shop but sometimes passes a newsstand.  So, even though these $5 comics are in places a kid or a mother might come across them, there is no way they expand the audience.  They MUST have low sales--which surely would make newsstand dealers think about eliminating them from the line-up.

I just don't understand the business plan here.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wow those prices are outrageous. I miss the days of .25 cent comics when I would spend $25 bucks and get the entire month's worth of comics....all DCs and Marvels, and a hand-full of independents.

Modern-day comics pricing is one of the reasons I stopped buying comics. It's just too cost prohibitive anymore. 

I've been away from the print world for a few years but I know there was a paper crash as early as 4 years ago stretching back a few years. Paper mills were going out of business - large printers as well. It was getting expensive and challenging for my company to source the paper we needed for our catalogues. 

I don't see the printed comics industry lasting much longer. Used to be they could raise the per book prices when print runs were shrinking. Now the print runs are so small, there is no wiggle room to do so.

When is a comic just too expensive to buy?

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 15 February 2016 at 6:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think as Eric said in the beginning, 5 bucks is too much. If it weren't for discounts in comic book stores here in australia,for a 5 dollar comic we'd probably be paying double the cover price.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 4  

Cost was one of the reasons I ended up going digital (storage space was another). I stopped shopping at my LCS and went mail order through DCBS to save money and from mail order to digital. Now I wait until the price drops to $1.99 on Comixology before I buy and none of them are DC or Marvel.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2016 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

I agree 100% with you Michael,cost and storage are exactly why i've drastically cut back on week to week and also monthly purchases. Having a room filled with over 7000 comic books that i don't read and don't particularly want only adds to those storage problems.Digital is easier for a lot of people,you can delete it off your storage device when you begin to run out of space and it tends to be cheaper.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 6  

Well, as far as prices go, I've pointed out before that I go to a comics shop that gives 15 or 20 per cent off (the employees are allowed to do 15%, but the owners do 20%--I always try to get rung up by an owner!), so a $3 book is only $2.40 and a $4 book is $3.20.  That makes it a LOT more palatable!

And, if you're sure about a series, you can subscribe to most Marvels and DCs for about $2.25 an issue.  The annoying thing is when you subscribe to a series because you really like the creative team and they switch to somebody you don't like 4 issues in.

And then if you're going to a con anyway, there's usually plenty of chances to buy trades for 50% off!

So, you can see why I'm so thrown by the idea of spending $5 an issue!  That's TWICE what I normally spend!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 7  

Matthew Wilkie,yes this was in the late 70`s/early 80`s,one that springs to mind is Avengers #200! The other bugbear was part 2 of a certain story was continued in a different title,that was undistributed! Also,Amazing and Spectacular Spider-man were not distributed in the 70`s probably cos of the U.K. reprint comics.
J.B. i felt the same pain as you regarding price hikes,the distributed seemed to go from 10p to 12p to 15p to 20p to 25p in about 5 years,luckily i got a Saturday job to fund my addiction!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 8  

That would make sense, Bill. Avengers 222 was when I first started regularly collecting a title. You're obviously slightly older than me ;)

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I certainly bought double issues at newsagents in australia,but that was in the late 80's by which time the process by which bill collins is referring to may have changed.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 10  

Yes,by late 80`s there was a wider selection of distributed titles,Amazing and Spectacular were by then! Yes,Matthew i`m 52! For some reason part 2 of Days Of Future Past and part 2 of the Alpha Flight showdown in Calgary in Uncanny X-Men were not distributed in my area...aaaargh!

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 4:20am | IP Logged | 11  

Do news stands still exist and if so do they still sell comic books? In adelaide where i live i cannot think of a single news stand that i can remember seeing.If you don't buy comics from a comic book store,you would have to get them for a much higher price from a newsagent and even then they don't carry all the titles.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2016 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 12  

All the newsagents sell over here nowadays are the Panini compendium titles.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version