Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6
Topic: A Better Alternative To Renumbering/Relaunches (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 7:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was referring to when both companies were explicitly marking the month AND year side-by-side on the cover, just as you might normally see on any other newstand publication like a Playboy, Good Housekeeping, etc.

I see what you mean.

X-Men 109 actually hit the stands in November 1977. Here's Mike's Amazing World of Comics entry: http:Link

Mike's page is a fun site to look up when a comic actually hit the stands.

Interestingly, Mike's site shows that the second Fantastic Four with a cover date was posted as "January 1996" on the cover, but actually shipped on November 28 1995.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 05 February 2016 at 7:56pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 4:49am | IP Logged | 2  

Just wanted to add something as some non-UK members may be unaware of our UK reprint titles.

From 1978 until 1985, Marvel UK published a Spider-Man comic, reprinting Spider-Man tales and various back-up strips (such as Thor). It ran for a rather eerie 666 issues - Mephisto's plan, I'm sure - and had that sense of history. When I bought something like the 534th issue, I remember being impressed by the history behind it.

It did reinvent itself over time. It started off as SPIDER-MAN COMICS WEEKLY. It then had these names over time:

SUPER SPIDER-MAN
SPIDER-MAN COMIC
SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN WEEKLY
SPIDER-MAN AND HULK WEEKLY
SUPER SPIDER-MAN TV COMIC
SPIDER-MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS
THE SPIDER-MAN COMIC
SPIDEY COMIC

Now, it is debatable whether it was really the same comic. Yes, it clocked up an impressive 666 issues, but, for instance, SUPER SPIDER-MAN TV COMIC was very different to previous incarnations: It had photos from the Nicholas Hammond series, a lot of competitions, etc. And due to various mergers, Spider-Man did join with other heroes at times.

All that said, I liked the fact it reached 666 issues. It could have been so easy to renumber/reboot the above titles, but instead we got what we got.

As I've stated previously, high numbers don't always equate to quality. It would be entirely possible for a title to run for 800 or 900 issues - and have 700 or 800 bad issues. However, there is something appealing about high numbers and history

Lance Hill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2016 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
It was, as I understand it, his decision to resume the numbering on THE FLASH when Barry Allen's success in SHOWCASE led to getting his own title. Such a decision no doubt generated squeals of delight among hardcore fans (both of them...) but it was meaningless to 99.999% of then-current readers.

That was a particularly strange decision. It wasn't even the exact same title - the original series was "Flash Comics" (an anthology!) and the revival was "The Flash".

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 6
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version