Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: A Better Alternative To Renumbering/Relaunches (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 1  

But it's the fanzine mentality in full bloom. The notion that the books are aimed exclusively at the established readers -- preaching to the choir -- and if a potential new reader is not already well versed in the lore... Well, one writer put it in so many words, saying anyone who was not familiar with the backstory had no business reading his current work. Completely forgetting, of course, that there was a time when even he was new to reading comics -- and when they were completely accessible to everyone!!

That kind of short sighted selfish thinking really pisses me off. We also see a lot of this kind of short sighted selfishness from many fans these days. There have been many times where I have read posts by fans online who say that if new fans want to know anything about these characters that they can go online and look it up.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 2  

Rick Whiting: "...There have been many times where I have read posts by fans online who say that if new fans want to know anything about these characters that they can go online and look it up."

And the extremely stupid and unintended consequence of this is... once they go online, they're likely to find something to draw their attention AWAY from comics!

Seems to me that there is one reason to number comics; to keep them in numerical order. (If comics ALWAYS put the month and year on the cover, that would work too... but far too many books already published had neither, and I don't recall DC or Marvel ever putting the year on the book solely to show the year of publication - titles not included.)

Of course, Marvel also created a bit of a hole with this waaay back when when they decided to continue numbering Journey Into Mystery or Tales of Suspense - but renamed the books. However, in the silver age, the continuity was what mattered - not the "#1 issue!" EVERYBODY had #1 issues... but no one wanted to invest in a brand new item when Superman or Iron Man had long running series.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Of course, Marvel also created a bit of a hole with this waaay back when when they decided to continue numbering Journey Into Mystery or Tales of Suspense - but renamed the books. However, in the silver age, the continuity was what mattered - not the "#1 issue!" EVERYBODY had #1 issues... but no one wanted to invest in a brand new item when Superman or Iron Man had long running series.

•••

Julie Schwartz long maintained that GREEN LANTERN's first Silver Age issue had no number on the cover because potential readers would "not be interested" in a book that had no "history" behind it.

I do not present myself as a perfect microcosm of the readership, but this was not at all my experience. I paid no attention at all to issue numbers, and distinguished one from another by the cover art! When Green Lantern got is own book, what I saw was an exciting new character, not a lesson in chronology.

Julie was, himself, one of the founding fathers of fandom, going back to the Pulps, and his view of things tended to be skewed by that mindset. It was, as I understand it, his decision to resume the numbering on THE FLASH when Barry Allen's success in SHOWCASE led to getting his own title. Such a decision no doubt generated squeals of delight among hardcore fans (both of them...) but it was meaningless to 99.999% of then-current readers.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 4  

That brings up another gripe—

I have a couple to add as well.

Why do publishers change the trade dress of volumes of ongoing collected
series and graphic novels? Unless there is a company logo or name change,
DON'T DO IT!

I could also do without dust jackets on hardcovers.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 5  

Seems to me that there is one reason to number comics; to keep them in numerical order. (If comics ALWAYS put the month and year on the cover, that would work too... but far too many books already published had neither, and I don't recall DC or Marvel ever putting the year on the book solely to show the year of publication - titles not included.)

-----------------------

Good point... DC only started putting the month/year on their covers when they jumped to 75 cents with the December 1983 issues... I think it took Marvel another 12 years (by a quick scan of FF covers, December 1995) until they started doing the same.

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 6  

I find it funny that Captain America has SEVEN issues #1 (at last count, including the original Captain America Comics), five issues #20, three issues #20, one issue #600, one issue #179, one issue #279, one issue #379, but no issue #79 AT ALL!

Or any issue between #79 or #99, to be fair.

Captain America #79, the rarest Captain America issue ever!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 7  

Funny thing, my first Captain America issue (brazilian edition) was #88. There has never been an US Captain America #88...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 8  

Michael: Good point... DC only started putting the month/year on their covers when they jumped to 75 cents with the December 1983 issues... I think it took Marvel another 12 years (by a quick scan of FF covers, December 1995) until they started doing the same.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you're saying, but Marvel started putting the year of publication on the cover in 1977 and continued at least throughout the '80s.

Here's the first X-Men cover with the date in the box with the X-Men's heads:

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

Captain America was one subject I wanted to use for my cover threads at a forum years ago - but I gave up. I couldn't keep track of the changes/reboots/etc. It got boring. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

…Marvel started putting the year of publication on the cover in 1977 and continued at least throughout the '80s.

••

Sort of. The year in the © changed every 12 months, but NOT every year.

Huh?

Well, remember that the books used to be cover dated four months ahead, for reasons it seemed no one could ever properly explain. That meant a book that hit the stands in May would have an August cover, or somewhere around there. I just checked, and in the case of the X-Men the © notice changed from 1978 to 1979 with the January issue, even tho that issue would have hit the stands around October '78.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 11  

But when an independent book like ASTRO CITY renumbers, it REALLY makes no sense to me!  They must have passed 100 issues recently (which WOULD have been a big event), but instead I just bought "only" #31.

I'll have to do the math, but I'm not sure if Astro City's quite up to #100 yet or not.  The renumbering for the current volume makes sense, since it was the first issue of the book under the Vertigo imprint, and was the first issue of a monthly Astro City book in...probably 15 years or more.  That feels a lot less arbitrary than just starting over again because of a new story arc.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 February 2016 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 12  

Maybe I'm not clear on what you're saying, but Marvel started putting the year of publication on the cover in 1977 and continued at least throughout the '80s.

Here's the first X-Men cover with the date in the box with the X-Men's heads:
--------------------------------------------

Uncanny X-Men #104, April, with a 1977 copyright date, whihc, even given the advance-dating situation of the time JB cited, places it as the April, 1977 issue. However, if you check Uncanny X-Men #109, it has the month on the cover listed as February... but it still has a 1977 copyright date in the floating-head box. So, it's cover date is still February 1978, regardless of that copyright notice. If someone wasn't aware of the 3-4 month differential between on-sale dates and cover dates, that would get confsuing really fast when it came to most January, February and March coverdated issues of that time.

(Even further muddying the waters were issues that had a coverdate of, let's say, April, but in the indicia were noted as being the March/April issue, and went on sale with other March - not April - issues)

I was referring to when both companies were explicitly marking the month AND year side-by-side on the cover, just as you might normally see on any other newstand publication like a Playboy, Good Housekeeping, etc.

Edited by Michael Casselman on 05 February 2016 at 2:58pm

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version