Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Happy Birthday Stan! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 1  

The Man is the Elvis Presley of comic books!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

Don't forget Ralph Macchio!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

A Happy Birthday to him.

There's one trait that I believe Mr Lee and Mr Byrne share: humility. Specifically, they both give credit to others when talking about characters created/comics written. 

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Now, we can add Captain America, Iron Man, 
and Thor to the list."

Not to rain on Stan's birthday parade, and I hope he has many more, but I don't think you can add Captain America to the list of characters he "had a hand" in creating, athough he certainly wrote quite a number of stories featuring or with Captain America.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 5  

Not to rain on Stan's birthday parade, and I hope he has many more, but I don't think you can add Captain America to the list of characters he "had a hand" in creating, athough he certainly wrote quite a number of stories featuring or with Captain America.

••

Depends on how we define "creation". In comics, it can be seen as a fluid and ongoing process. The Captain America who returned in AVENGERS 4 was, after all, a very different guy from the one who had last been seen in comics. Different in most respects from any version of Cap previously published.

If we get too narrow in our definitions of what qualifies as an act of creation, we might find ourselves having to exclude Jack Kirby from Cap's genesis, giving all credit to Joe Simon!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 6  

If Stan hadn't decided to resurrect Captain America, we might not even be having a conversation about who created him! :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 10:20am | IP Logged | 7  

If Stan hadn't decided to resurrect Captain America, we might not even be having a conversation about who created him! :)

••

True! What the over-eager Kirby Boosters tend to forget is that there was a synergy created by Lee and Kirby bouncing off each other. Neither had done much of great import for quite a long time. (And, seriously, does anybody REALLY think Kirby went back to Marvel with the intention of "saving" the company? Seriously?)

Once they started on FANTASTIC FOUR, tho, a juggernaut was unleashed. Not all at once, of course, since the Hulk's original series stumbled and fell, and the X-Men, while a cult favorite, took decades to become a runaway train. But the magic of Lee and Kirby together exceeded anything they had done on their own, or even with different partners (Ditko being the obvious, albeit short-lived, exception, in Stan's case.)

The whole was greater than the sum of the parts!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

The Captain America we met in AVENGERS 4 had lost his kid partner. That was
a burden Steve Rogers carried that separated him from, say, Bruce Wayne.
Unfortunately, just 25 years later, Batman would lose a kid partner and
basically remain the same character. And even later, we'd learn that Bucky had
lived.

I also thought the loss of his partner was a living reminder of the loss of young
men (in great numbers) suffered during World War II.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm thrilled and extremely grateful for what I knew Stan
gave me in my childhood. I am grateful, as an adult, to
know of the co-creators, who are also responsible for the
joy Of Spider-Man and so many others added to my life.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 10  

"Depends on how we define "creation". In comics, it can be seen as a fluid and ongoing process. The Captain America who returned in AVENGERS 4 was, after all, a very different guy from the one who had last been seen in comics. Different in most respects from any version of Cap previously published."

I recognize that comics are "created" on an ongoing basis, and that the characters evolve.  I also think, at some point the break from the past is so complete it's almost a new creation.  The Ditko Blue Beetle, for example, falls into that category, although I don't think the previous Charlton version of the character does.

To say that "creation" (or any other word) has different connotations and definitions doesn't mean that the word means whatever one wants it to.  To most people, the creator of a character is the originator or originators, not those who added to it.  Mort Weisenger didn't create Superman.  Did he make a major contribution to the character?  Sure.

Was the Captain America who returned in Avengers 4 so different?  Let's see.  Different costume?  No, except for the stripes now going all the way around the uniform.  Different origin?  No.  Different secret identity?  No.  Different powers?  No.  In fact, I'm inclined to say the returned Captain America was much closer to the Simon & Kirby character than the guy who was appearing in most of the post Kirby issues of CA, as written by-let's see-- Stan Lee.  When the character came back, he was no longer teaching at the "Lee school," for example.  When Lee put him in Tales of Suspense in his own series, the first thing he did was retellings of old Simon & Kirby stories.  So what Stan did (excluding the possibility of any plotting input from Kirby) was sweep away the post -WW II (i.e., post-Kirby) stuff, kill Bucky, and (not surprisingly) write the dialog in modern Stan Lee style.  That may be a big contribution to the ongoing character, but in my book, it doesn't make him the creator.  Did he "create" the Sub-Mariner?  Stan's version of the Sub-Mariner was at least as different from Everett's as his and Kirby's Cap was from Simon & Kirby's.

"If we get too narrow in our definitions of what qualifies as an act of creation, we might find ourselves having to exclude Jack Kirby from Cap's genesis, giving all credit to Joe Simon!"  Sure.  Or how about Martin Goodman?  Stan himself already essentially went that route, in his Secrets Behind the Comics

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 30 December 2015 at 6:52pm

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 11  

"If Stan hadn't decided to resurrect Captain America, we might not even be having a conversation about who created him! :)"

Absolutely true, and absolutely irrelevant to the fact that Stan had zero to do with the creation of Captain America (though much to do with editing and writing his adventures).

Stan's accomplishments rank him as one of the all-time greats of comics, certainly the most influential writer-editor-co-creator of the sixties.  Aren't those accomplishments enough?  Do we have to dress Stan up in borrowed robes?  We diminish him, rather than enhance him, when we give him false credit for what he unquestionably did not do. 

This will be my final post on this thread.  I thought I was making a simple and uncomplicated factual correction; instead, people seem to be rushing to what is in my view a wholly unnecessary "defense" of Stan, who needs no defending.  The thread ought to justly celebrate Stan's 93d birthday.  The question of what is meant by "creator" and whether it applies to Stan's work on characters originated before he was employed by Timely comics by virtue of his later work on them can be pursued, I think, in some other thread. 

Edited by Robert Cosgrove on 30 December 2015 at 7:08pm

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 December 2015 at 7:35pm | IP Logged | 12  

Happy Birthday! Stan
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version