Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Original X-Men VS Sinister Six (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 1  

Indeed Eric.

I wonder how many scenarios have not yet been done. Has The Thing ever took on The Abomination? Has Juggernaut ever faced Fantastic Four? Have the Teen Titans took on Lex Luthor? How about Cap or Iron Man facing The Sinister Six?

Seems there might be scenarios left. I'd rather companies focused on them than another "Year One" scenario/reboot/retcon/revisiting of "Crisis" or "Secret Wars"/etc. 

I mean, I know the idea above is my idea so I am bound to support it, but what would you prefer PREVIEWS to announce tomorrow? An X-Men VS Sinister Six comic or a Year One retcon?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 2  

Jean Grey vs. the Vulture. Again, telekinesis is such a gigantic gimme that it's hard to make her lose, but Stan did so all the time, so I have to assume she'd lose this one too somehow.

••

She used to lose because she was a "girl".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 3  

Cyclops v. Sandman- Maybe Scott's optic blasts can turn him to glass.

Scott's beams aren't hot; their effects are concussive.

••

Wallace, I love you, and I want to bear your children!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 4  

The first time I remember reading it specifically stated that Cyclop's optic blast was concussive, not heat-base, was in "Fantastic Four" #249 (or was it #250?), written by JB. I don't think I really thought about it before that point. Looking back on the older comics before then, though, it was obvious. Funny, that just because the color of the blast is red people assume it must be hot.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 28 December 2015 at 10:02am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 5  

Funny, that just because the color of the blast is red people assume it must be
hot.

I think I recall reading somewhere that initially the color of Scott's beams
was supposed to be blue. That would have been neat.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 6  

Cyclops v. Sandman- Maybe Scott's optic blasts can turn him to glass.

Scott's beams aren't hot; their effects are concussive.

••

Wallace, I love you, and I want to bear your children!

We'll name them Bethany, Danny, Jack, Jasmine and Nathan. (I kid. I kid.)

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

if my memory serves, Professor X tapped the entire mental set of humanity to battle off the Z'nox. So a ninety pound weakling he was not. As for morals... hard to say.

X used his powers to wipe the memory of the Vanisher, AND the Blob and his entire circus troupe.

Thanks!

I would have given the Sinister Six a fairly clean win at first, but with this knowledge, I'd have to give it to the X-Men.

I might play it out like this:

Mysterio leads the attack and uses his powers to confuse one of the X-Men - maybe Cyclops or Marvel Girl - and the "surprise" enables them to take Prof X out temporarily.

After the initial shock of "what just happened" wears off, the X-Men do their best to subdue the Sinister Six, ultimately failing. Cue Prof X waking up and in all his badass "most powerful mind on the planet" fury, takes out the Sinister Six.       

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Cyclops' beam could blast Sandman into bits. Blow him apart as it were. I assume if the grains that make up his body were dispersed over a wide enough area it would take awhile to reform.  Down is, it would probably take several strikes by Cyclops' optic blast to achieve this and Sandman isn't going to stand still while Cyke fires at him. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 12:15am | IP Logged | 9  

"I mean, I know the idea above is my idea so I am bound to support it, but what would you prefer PREVIEWS to announce tomorrow? An X-Men VS Sinister Six comic or a Year One retcon?"

Boy, Frank Miller sure started a thing with his Batman Year One, didn't he?!

Not to derail, but, yeah, I would love to see a "X-Men VS Sinister Six" announcement!  I'm reminded of the commission piece with Batman vs. the Sinister Six--in fact, there are a LOT of commissions here that I would LOVE to see as actual comics!  A lot of them are "switch partners" scenarios that would make for great stories!

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 10  

I thought there was one early issue of X Men (like one issue) where the beams were actually portrayed as heated as well. I think it was later forgotten. Or just dropped off entirely. 

Edit: Found it...one of those rare occasions when Stan wrote against the pictures, and it didn't work.

I also remember X-Men Annual # 3 where Cyclops was able to absorb Storms' lightning to power his optic blasts. Never quite understood that one. But it was an otherwise awesome issue with George Perez/Terry Austin. Some of the best art I'd ever seen. I figured in that 'exceptional" case his beams 'might' be heated too. 

Edited by Dale Lerette on 29 December 2015 at 12:02pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 11  

Funny, that just because the color of the blast is red people assume it must be hot.

I think I recall reading somewhere that initially the color of Scott's beams was supposed to be blue. That would have been neat.

•••

Blue is true -- but how long would it have been before the minibrains had Scott using his beams to FREEZE things?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 December 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 12  

I know it's best not to overdo any concept - or overuse a super-team - but as a kid, I spent many a day drawing Sinister Six pictures that didn't involve Spider-Man. I even drew (or tried to draw) Street Hawk going against them!

There are so many battles I'd like to see. If we think about how much difficulty Spider-Man had against the Sinister Six, how would Captain America handle them? Could the combined talents of the Sinister Six at least slow down the original, lumbering, less-strong Hulk? Hmmm...

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version