Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Thought Balloons (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2015 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 1  

Chips need to be about half an inch thick and fried in beef dripping...mmmm!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2015 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 2  

I just bought the second volume of the graphic novel version of Neil Gaiman's THE GRAVEYARD BOOK and I notice that actual THOUGHT BALLOONS are used!  (I forget if they were used in Volume One also, and I gave it to a friend so I can't check.)  I was all set to give Gaiman all sorts of credit...until I remembered that I was actually looking at P. Craig Russell's ADAPTATION of Gaiman's book.  (He's given "adaptation" credit for both books even though he and other artists are given "Illustrated by" credits--I assume that means that he oversaw the whole adaptation, including how to do captions and balloons.)

Sometimes, the balloons and their tails look a little quirky, reminding me often of his old KILLRAVEN work, which makes me think he did (or oversaw) the balloons there too.

I wonder if something like this will help bring thought balloons back.  They seem indispensible in sharing the character's thoughts with the reader when the character happens to be alone, and the thoughts do not lend themselves to the feeling of gravity that seems to come with first person narration in caption boxes (sorry, Mr. Byrne, I needed to emphasize the "box" shape there).

I can't possibly imagine the first hundred issues of SPIDER-MAN if Stan Lee was not allowed to use thought balloons to get the reader inside Peter Parker's head!

Was adding Robin to the BATMAN feature INTENDED to give kids a kid to relate to, or was that just a by-product?  Didn't they really add Robin to give Batman somebody to TALK to?  So he wouldn't have to talk to himself all the time, or cover up the panels with thought balloons?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 20 December 2015 at 4:46am
Back to Top profile | search

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version