Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Real women try to recreate comic book poses (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 1  

I've often wanted to do Wood's 22 Panels with human subjects and B&W photographs. Beyond that, catching action shots is crazy talk.Comic books are rarely made up entirely of poses. As many have mentioned, they are freezing an instant where the characters are very much in action.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2  

Hmm, it appears this has already been done: Film version of Wally Wood's 22 Panels

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 3  

…the idea is to draw a pose that someone could only hold for a second.

••

This is one of the small frustrations -- and big challenges -- of NEW VISIONS. Since I am denied the luxury of real movement I have to look for ways to create a sense of it from the still photographs with which I start. One of the curious developments of this has been finding myself often using shots that are not movement at all, such as reclining poses. Twisted around, they very easily become falling or stumbling poses. Occasionally good in fight scenes, too.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Why don't they try to stand like Wilma Flintstone?

Or do the swinging poses of a Todd McFarlane Spider-Man?

Or any figure drawn by Jack Kirby?

Do they even know what cartooning is?

This is the problem, people who have no understanding of the medium, are now critiquing it, to justify their agenda.

And the worst part? Fandom and pros, actually caters to these people so as not to be seen as the "Bad Guy".

Thankfully, a lot of people, including women in the comment section of the HuffPost article, sees how ridiculous this video is.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 5  

Like I said, fish in a barrel. It's WAY too easy to find fault with superhero comics. Fantasy of any kind, really.

Play the game, or find a different game to play!!!

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 6  

So a too sexy female superhero might be offensive to some.
What about a new approach to female superheroes?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Anytime this subject is brought up... and it has been brought up many, many times before... the women object to how sexual and how "unreal" the women are in the comic art they show. There really is no argument that most drawings of women AND men in superhero comics are exaggerated. That's almost the point, when dealing with characters that are purposefully meant to be fantastical.

They are idealized, not literal representations of the average person, male or female.

And let's touch on a point that brings up: Superheroes, by definition and design are typically NOT your average person, particularly in the physiological sense.

Whenever I see a video or article with a somewhat attractive, yet fairly average-looking woman saying that Wonder Woman is ridiculous because she doesn't look like that woman or anyone she knows, I think, "Yeah, but on average YOU and NONE of your friends look like Lynda Carter in her prime, either, nor even Gal Gadot!

That's not meant as a slight to those ladies, I certainly don't look like Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, or Christopher Reeve. The thing is I don;t bitch and criticize the comic artists because I don't have those physical traits that the actors or the characters do in real life.

It seems the critics of such superhero art act as every woman looks like them. There ARE stunningly beautiful women in absolutely great physical shape. Yeah, the comic art would still tend to exaggerate things (again: FANTASY), but you get some super attractive model in prime shape to recreate those poses and I just bet it gets a tad closer to the mark.

Just for funsies, they should over some overweight and underweight schlubs out there pose as the male heroes and then talk about how unrealistic it is, and how it hurts their self-esteem as men because they don't really look like the Hulk. Heh.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh, and on the subject of sexuality... Puh-lease! Yes, women in all forms of entertainment can made made to be over sexualized and even sometimes slutty, but I often hear or read women like those in the video linked to above complain about the mere suggestion of sexiness.

Sorry, but that is a component of the fantasy. Sex is used in society on TV shows, movies, and especially advertisement. Sexuality is a selling point, and women sexuality is portrayed differently than men's sexuality. Rosey the Riveter may look tough, and be empowering, but if every female superhero looked like Rosey, I doubt they'd appeal to most readers. Sex is an aspect of a person's appeal, both real and with characters.

It's silly too complain about a character being drawn sexy when it's a part of the fantasy. It can go too far, of course. Wonder Woman should be beautiful, and, yes, sexy, but not look like a tramp. I think most of the critics seem to have issues with a female character exuding any hint of sexiness at all, though.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 December 2015 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm reminded of a short fantasy story by Fritz Leiber. In the faux-Scandanavian village of the barbarian hero Fafhrd the matriarchal society keeps a tight reign on their men. But once a year dancing girls from the southern lands come to put on a show, which of course popularly received. The sturdy barbarian women get their revenge by slinging rock hard snowballs at the girls. Fafhrd tries to protect one of those girls and ends up running away with her to southern lands. 

I think that story was written in the 50's but its probably more relevant than ever. Women will try to shame us men into obedience (through conservative or liberal means), but our heads will always turn and eyes will goggle at that slinky minx walking down the street!

Edited by Joe Zhang on 14 December 2015 at 6:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2015 at 1:07am | IP Logged | 10  

women wil try to shame us into obedience? I can't remember this every
happening to me but okay.

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 December 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'll just leave this here....

LINK

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2015 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 12  

Paul Kimbal: "women will try to shame us into
obedience? I can't remember this every
happening to me but okay."

What? You've never heard feminists decry any men's
magazine that dares to have a beautiful female on the
cover in a swimsuit or something else sexy?

You can have the same model wearing the same exciting
outfit, on the cover of a woman's magazine and that's
empowering, put her on the cover of Maxim and
suddenly it's degrading and objectifying, etc., etc.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version