Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Paris... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

'Cos it's the easiest to implement, with no noticeable cost and the biggest gain in political capital. And because people are scared and knee-jerk reactions go hand-in-hand with fear.'
---------------------------------------------------------
I don't pretend to know the exact 'how's' and 'why's' these people in Paris were able to pull off what they did, but from my vantage point, it seems like a classic Hegelian principal, aka, problem, reaction, solution. To put it more plainly, to invite the refugees into your country whose country you are assisting in destroying via air strikes is simply inviting a few of those same refugees to exercise some kind of retribution toward that country. So in effect, the real action, is in the reaction. Allow these people to invoke fear into it's citizens in order to stir up the nationalist pride with the people in order to get them on board for war against those particular people who the citizens blame.

So yes, I agree, allowing refugees into this country, which still remembers 9/11, and hearing about the events in France, will absolutely stir up resentment with the newly arrived Syrian refugees. A people who don't know our language, and to a certain extent, have a negative view of America to begin with. So when (not if, when) a few of them become radicalized due to being uprooted from this country, then dealing with the prejudice and fear from the Americans who are scared and who absolutely have knee-jerk reactions to these people. it won;t matter if they've been fingerprinted and I.D'd. Because even If one of them decides to strap a bunch of bombs to themselves and blow themselves up and take as many people with them as they can, what at the end of the day will all those security measurements mean if our government simply chooses not to stop them? IMO, it's the usual suspects of Bankers and Big Government that are the real culprits. All due to the practice of the Hegelian principle.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 November 2015 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Gilbert Roland wrote:
With that said, difficult does not mean impossible.

True.  Might as well shut out all refugees no matter the color or stripe, take Trump's idea of a wall on our boarder with Mexico and implement it on the Canadian border as well.  Then keep a flotilla of destroyers off the East and West Coast.  Perfect.  Then all we have to deal with is our own home grown terrorists. 

Yippee.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 4:46am | IP Logged | 3  

Conversely a U.K. family who converted from Islam to Christianity are being hounded and attacked(The husband is currently in hospital with a shattered kneecap and head injuries).It works both ways!
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
I agree that that was a horrible incident but there is a slight difference. The Muslim attacked was random - she just happened to be at the wrong moment. The Asian man attacked in this story had been on tv criticising Islam. Still no justification for what happened to him though of course.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 4  

I saw a hilarious article on CNN a couple of days ago - I'm in a hotel abroad and it's the only world news I can get on TV).

Someone was asked if terrorists could get in to the USA and the person replied no you have much better border controls.

PAH!

You don't have illegal immigrants? At all? Granted, Europe has Schengen so once you are in, you are in but still, the initial getting in is just as difficult (and apparently Schengen is a concept so foreign that my spell checker doesn't recognise it as a word - I know it is named after the place but it has become a 'thing') .
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 5  

Why is rounding up and deporting "Mexicans" "crazy shit"?

Aren't the people that would be deported in the US illegally?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 6  

Aren't the people that would be deported in the US illegally?

••

Shhhh! They are "undocumented". You know, like they left their wallets in their other coats.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7  

James, who are you quoting when you put 'crazy shit' in inverted commas?

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 8  

Peter, it should have been scary shit, not crazy shit, but it was David Perrin's comment I was referring to. Misread the word at 6 am.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think David is talking about the measures as a whole and how they resemble a certain person who started with similar desires who then went on to 'widen the scope' shall we say.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Thanks for the clarification, James Reese.

The idea of registering people on a database according to their religious beliefs is extremely scary to me -- especially the idea of singling out a certain religion for this measure.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Loathe as I am to make the Hitler comparison, it's difficult to avoid it.

I'm no fan of Trump but seriously?

Deporting (i.e. sending them back to their home country) a person who made a conscious choice to come here illegally is comparable to putting people to death in extermination camps?

Perhaps comparing Trump to FDR would be a more appropriate comparison since FDR (a Democrat president and still seen as a great president by many on the left) is the one who did have people in this country rounded up and put in camps based on their ethnicity and nationality. 

Just sayin. 

Edited by Brandon Frye on 21 November 2015 at 8:23pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2015 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

Deporting (i.e. sending them back to their home country) a person who made a conscious choice to come here illegally is comparable to putting people to death in extermination camps?
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------
No.

But wanting to force all muslims to register on a database is comparable to forcing all jews to register on a database.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version