Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Micronauts and Rom (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm with Paul.  I would love to see Rom reprinted.  
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2015 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 2  

I loved those early issues of Micronauts. The fact that unknowingly, I had bought a few action figures that were the part of the story really blew my 11 yo mind.

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2015 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 3  

Bill Mantlo unfortunately is out of the question but Michael Golden,Pat Broderick,Butch Guice and Kelly Jones could potentially do some artwork.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2015 at 3:35pm | IP Logged | 4  

Golden won't. He's currently not too pleased with IDW. Doesn't like how with their Artist Editions they claim to be all about supporting the artists...but then they don't give the artists any share of the money. To him, it goes above the normal work for hire, where they alone are cashing in on an artists' name. Or at least I think that's what he was trying to explain to me. Go ask him yourself, I guess... I get tired at conventions. Maybe he was telling me a good nacho recipe.

-Oh, and I'm happy to see ROM coming back, as...well...I'd like to draw some ROM covers. Otherwise, IDW has their work cut out trying to sell me on why I need to buy new ROM and Micronauts books. I was happy with the stories and their endings all those years ago.

However, if they can reprint the old books, AND if they can give money to the past creators (especially Bill), then that's great. Sadly, with these being licensed books, I would think that they legally have no reason to pay anything to anyone but Hasbro and Marvel. Hope they can step up and do more. I also hope there would be enough cash from sales for them to share.

I would also like a ROM action figure that looks like ROM from the comics. Honestly, that's all I want. 

And Torpedo.

Edited by Dave Aikins on 13 July 2015 at 3:40pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2015 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 5  

That reprint issue's sticky.  Marvel's bringing back the Spaceknights separately, so they've got everybody but Rom, and I guess IDW will only be able to use Rom for the new book and will have to build a whole new mythology based on whatever text was on the original toy's packaging.  Still, Marvel and IDW seem to be on pretty good terms, so maybe they could work out a proper collection of the old stuff even if the new stuff can't have all of the characters together.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 6  

Andrew- IDW was able to get Marvel to let them reprint the Transformers issues that used Marvel characters. ROM uses much much more...but there is at least a small example of IDW getting (or paying) Marvel to allow them to reprint issues with Marvel characters.

On a side note- if IDW got Ron Frenz and Sal to draw & ink a new ROM series, I would buy that. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 7  

it will be interesting to see new takes on this. According something I read. IDW Micronauts are "inspired by" Bill Mantlo's version. I will buy both when they come out and the inevitable crossover books. 

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

On a side note- if IDW got Ron Frenz and Sal to draw & ink a new ROM
series, I would buy that.

Uh oh. Now you've whet my appetite for some Frenz-drawn ROM
comics!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Andrew- IDW was able to get Marvel to let them reprint the Transformers issues that used Marvel characters. ROM uses much much more...but there is at least a small example of IDW getting (or paying) Marvel to allow them to reprint issues with Marvel characters.

That mostly boiled down to issue #3, with Spider-Man.  I don't know if they've done a nicer reprint since the first one I saw, but that had Spider-Man essentially blacked out, and I don't remember if they altered Robbie Robertson and Peter Parker or not.  The Marvel characters are showing up constantly in Rom, and if you had to get rid of them--AND the Spaceknights--you wouldn't have much left.  Fingers crossed that they manage to get full cooperation there.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

"I don't know if they've done a nicer reprint since the first one I saw, but that had Spider-Man essentially blacked out..."

Anyone have a scan of that?

On the flip side, Rom appears in one panel of JB's HULK, reprinted in VISIONARIES in 2008 (and possibly later printings?).  Admittedly, it's only one panel, but what are the legalities of reprinting that, and any other regular Marvel comics that Rom or the Micronauts might have appeared in?

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 11  

I can't say I was a fan of Rom, but of course I bought every issue. I really did not like the Dire Wraiths. Back then I bought every issue of everything.

I do recall loving the first big story arc of Micronauts though. Was that the first twelve issues? Baron Karza was just too cool a villain. And Michael Golden was a fav for awhile.

Unrelated, he drew a Hulk cover that was fantastic. I wonder if I can find that again.....

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2015 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 12  

IDW has dealt with DC to do Star Trek and Legion of Super-Heroes/Green Lantern crossovers, maybe they can deal with Marvel to do ROM/Marvel "crossover" reprints!

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version