Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 1  

Since they've stated that the idea here is to create an in-story, in-continuity, all-ages title with this new "Spidey," success would not result in an alternate version. It would, theoretically, blend in with what is already known about that period in Spider-Man's history as well as everything since, up to today's Superior and Parker Industries Spidey. And it would sell well.

Since there were calls to return the character to his high school roots and this series does that, should it somehow prove phenomenally successful, out-selling all over Spider-Man titles, it would in theory show Marvel how wrong they are about what the audience wants and needs, pointing the way back to high school where some here have said the character belongs. 

True, no one said, "We want high school Peter Parker in only one title," but this would be a more logical progression to that goal than simply waving a magic wand and dedicating the entire line to a re-do of Lee and Ditko's tenure without testing the waters first.

I don't for a moment believe this is Marvel's intent, of course. Marvel simply looked at their Spider-Man property and decided there was a small section of real estate off in this corner over here they could exploit with another title and at the same time, assuage critics of their blood-n'-guts, eyeball-munching, pincher-sprouting regular line with what I'm assuming will be a kiddie book they are defining as "all-ages." 

This is what they did when they did a nostalgia-themed book about Thor in the days when he and Jane Foster were a couple (Thor: Mighty Avenger) or Wolverine and Kitty when they were pals (Wolverine: First Class.) I expect the new "Spidey" will receive the same to less exposure and sales traction as those two titles did and be gone just as quickly.

However, one title starring an in-continuity high school aged Peter Parker is nevertheless a potential first step towards gearing the entire line around one. This thing takes off, Marvel would have give the public more of what they're crying out for, right?  So I still don't see what you're on about...

Except to prove that Rob was right about this title attracting catcalls and booing sight unseen and my saying those criticisms would echo what was said of Busiek's "Untold Tales."

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 2  

If it was a book meant to be taken seriously as an all ages Spider-Man title it likely should not be called Spidey. But that's just me. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 3  

Before you can determine success/failure, you need to define the goal. If the goal is anything other than to establish an alternative version of Spider-Man, how can this book succeed?
~~~~~~~~~~~
The goal of every title should be to tell a good story. If  'Spidey' tells a good story and is faithful to the character than it is a success. 
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

Marvel released a catalog of all the new titles that will be popping up after the current gimmick, Secret Wars(III?) is over.

45 new #1's.  Some token Spidey book that no one will consider "real", has little chance of making it IMO.  But, it's failure won't be seen by Marvel as anything but proof that all-ages books don't sell.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 5  

45 new #1's.  Some token Spidey book that no one will consider "real", has little chance of making it IMO.  But, it's failure won't be seen by Marvel as anything but proof that all-ages books don't sell.
~~~~~~~
Andy that is nothing but speculation on your part. You don't know that 'Spidey' is a token book or that no one will consider it "real". 

I grant you this, The company formally known as Marvel has done more than enough to make the fans jaded and untrusting. That being said however. No one can condemn any title until it has come out. Past failures don't mean what comes next will be a failure. Like I said before I don't really expect this new book to be what I want it to be. I however won't judge it to I've seen it. 

No one can correctly judge something they haven't seen. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 6  

Brian: However, one title starring an in-continuity high school aged Peter Parker is nevertheless a potential first step towards gearing the entire line around one. This thing takes off, Marvel would have give the public more of what they're crying out for, right? So I still don't see what you're on about...

Except to prove that Rob was right about this title attracting catcalls and booing sight unseen and my saying those criticisms would echo what was said of Busiek's "Untold Tales."

You and Rob jumped to the defensive so fast that you initiate the "catcalls" before anyone else has a chance. That's what is confusing about your posts.

This, in the face of what Marvel announced as the direction they're taking Spider-Man-- the announcement which started this thread. What benefit of the doubt has Marvel suddenly earned? Here we have a "quietly announced" book that Marvel had to be directly asked about on the last day of the con and which the "Director of Content and Character Development" at Marvel says he "believes" will be in continuity (as in, he isn't sure). Somehow this leads to a thought that skeptics are "bone-heads" (Anthony's term) who just parrot what was said about "Untold Tales"? You say that if this thing takes off, Marvel will somehow use this "logical progression" to move toward more of what so many in this thread are asking for... That's a lot of hope to pin on such a skimpy announcement.

That point of view requires generosity if not a lot of out-right optimism about the creativity, insight and guts held by people running Marvel today. Have they earned that?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

Somehow this leads to a thought that skeptics are "bone-heads" (Anthony's term) who just parrot what was said about "Untold Tales"? You say that if this thing takes off, Marvel will somehow use this "logical progression" to move toward more of what so many in this thread are asking for... That's a lot of hope to pin on such a skimpy announcement.
~~~~~~~~~~
Mark I never said skeptics were bone heads. I'll thank you to look at what I wrote.~

"I feel however it would be a bone headed move to make a decision on something I haven't even seen yet. "

I am skeptical myself. There is nothing wrong with being a skeptic. I not passing judgement thou until I've seen it. Nor should anyone else. But by all means be skeptical. 

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

Anthony J Lombardi wrote:
Andy that is nothing but speculation on your part. You don't know that 'Spidey' is a token book or that no one will consider it "real".
True, but did anyone suggest that it was anything but my opinion?

And I don't see how Marvel's track record can be ignored.  They start these all-ages books and put them off on the side somewhere.  They are token books that aren't given top treatment.  

Now, if they champion Spidey and really do it justice and it helps re-establish a focus on material that is all ages throughout the line?  I'll happily eat crow on my prediction.  

Which do you think is a safer bet at this point?

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 9  

My comics dealer brought me that Marvel catalog with the 45 new number ones. 
  The way I look at it, it's 45 new chances for somebody to get it right. 
   We all have our Holy Grail stories, and to us readers, the creators of those stories are legends forever. I often mention Golden/Barr, and of course JB, but also hold Cary Nord and Joe Kelly in high regard for a story where Batman takes care of a poisoned Superman in a cave. Kelly and Kano for a story where Superman and Wonder Woman get trapped in a time warp and live ten lifetimes together, yet Clark's love for Lois never wavers. Not my favorite era of DC, but there are gems. 
    I see a lot of great opportunities for excitement in these artist/writer pairings, and look forward to my next "moment".
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 10  

The problem to me is that they keep going back to the #1 well too often.  I'm not saying that there can't be good stories or good creative teams but I really wonder how many people are scared of starting a comic book just because it doesn't say #1?

If that's the case, just quit numbering them.  Just put a date on 'em and break them into storylines.  

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 11  

And I don't see how Marvel's track record can be ignored.  They start these all-ages books and put them off on the side somewhere.  They are token books that aren't given top treatment.  

Now, if they champion Spidey and really do it justice and it helps re-establish a focus on material that is all ages throughout the line?  I'll happily eat crow on my prediction.  

Which do you think is a safer bet at this point?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marvel's track record shouldn't be ignored. That is why it is justifiable for everyone to be skeptical before seeing the product.  There would be no reason for you or anyone else to have to eat crow.  If everyone  refrained from predicting failure. Or success for that matter.  

We've been disappointed so many times and for so long. I know it's hard to keep a wait and see attitude.  But we can decide to just except that MARVEL is dead or we can hope things will get better. 

The fact that we all are talking about this makes me think. Even thou we have become jaded . We haven't given up hope yet.

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2015 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'm all for losing the numbers! Great idea!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version