Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 1  

I think I understand what you're trying to say, but initially you seemed to imply that OTHERS ("some") were misusing the term.

You seemed to be defining the term in, well, your own terms... So to speak. :)

I don't think you were unsuccessful in conveying your thoughts. Your thoughts on the subject at hand just appear to be a little... odd.

No offense.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 2  

Yeah, not liking a term because of apparent misuse by others does seem odd.  Think of it this way; DC & Marvel comics were all ages in their entirety from inception really until the 80s.  Even horror and war comics were presented in a way that kids and adults alike could enjoy them.  The original Warner Brothers cartoons are a great example of all ages fare.  Jokes only adults would get presented in a way that kids enjoyed the broad strokes.  If a company misuses the term by slapping an all ages label on things an adult would find tedious that's their problem, but in no way should it reflect on the actual definition of said term. 
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 3  

think I understand what you're trying to say, but initially you seemed to imply that OTHERS ("some") were misusing the term.

You seemed to be defining the term in, well, your own terms... So to speak. :)

I don't think you were unsuccessful in conveying your thoughts. Your thoughts on the subject at hand just appear to be a little... odd.

No offense.
~~~~~~~~
No offense taken Paul. It isn't the first time my thought process has been called odd or some other term meaning the same. I have said it myself at times.   I've dealt with this my whole life. It can be frustrating at times not being  able to communicate with others at times. But I have to live with it. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 4  

Yeah, not liking a term because of apparent misuse by others does seem odd. 
~~~~
There goes my thought process again ;)
~~~~~~~~

Think of it this way; DC & Marvel comics were all ages in their entirety from inception really until the 80s.  Even horror and war comics were presented in a way that kids and adults alike could enjoy them.  The original Warner Brothers cartoons are a great example of all ages fare.  Jokes only adults would get presented in a way that kids enjoyed the broad strokes.
~~~~

Matt that is exactly how I think comics should be. That is how they were when I was growing up. If I didn't express that before properly. It didn't quite make from my head down to the post.
`````
 If a company misuses the term by slapping an all ages label on things an adult would find tedious that's their problem, but in no way should it reflect on the actual definition of said term.

``
I don't disagree with that Matt.  I know it shouldn't reflect on the definition of the term.   I've made a bad association between the term and some books that were labeled all ages but defied the term.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 5  

Would it be better if I said  that I don't like the fact that I've made this association between the term all ages and some books that were incorrectly called all ages books?

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I guess that would depend on which books you think were incorrectly called all ages books... And prepare yourself for a (hopefully good-natured) debate.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

I guess that would depend on which books you think were incorrectly called all ages books... And prepare yourself for a (hopefully good-natured) debate.
~~~~~~~~~~
I enjoy debating Paul, especially the good natured ones. But unfortunately I couldn't debate the subject. As much as I wish I could I don't recall which titles they were. It wasn't at any one point that I saw the titles. It was spread out over the course of several trips to the comic store. Which I don't do very often. So it would have happened over a long period of time. When I was making regular trips to the store. I was going once a month. Usually when Previews came out.  

The best I could do was to narrow it down to titles being published by Marvel. As that was typically the  company I gravitated towards.

I wish I could debate this because It could actually prove helpful to me. If the debate could help me break that association I've made that would be great.  If too much time doesn't pass before my maybe remembering some of the titles I'll mention it here. But if it takes too long I won't. I don't want to derail the thread again. If it gets back on track.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 8  

I am offended that the term "DC and Marvel comics" is used, when the true definition is "Stuff that used to be worth reading, but is now crap".

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

I am offended that the term "DC and Marvel comics" is used, when the true definition is "Stuff that used to be worth reading, but is now crap".
~~~~
I apologize for having grossly offended you Brian. There is no excuse for my not using the proper term in this instance.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 12 July 2015 at 2:42pm

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

It's OK, Anthony, I'll have a chat with Mephisto, and we'll forget the whole...
...wait, what?

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

wow this has been a great thread, so sorry im just catching it.
lots of good points and opinions...
one main thing im taking away (besides the usual comics-suck-these-days) and forming an opinion on, based on the initial few posts about the tycoon peter parker, is that since spider-man was created way back in the 60s how far can you take him? should a character age in the comics and follow a timeline, or should the character remain static and be perpetually around the age as first introduced? and both have there own set of problems, especially since we are viewing it from hindsight.
i think after all these years it would be hard to maintain interest in a high school age peter parker. taking 20-30 yrs to gradually get him up to college age and then freezing there is kind of what ive pictured all this time. (oh and maybe add in the idea of showing how much time has passed between issues as a way to accomplish either goal). one big problem marvel created is having all those titles with spider-man back then. seems these days its all about alternate versions. starting maybe with Iron Man 2020 for marvel? 
its too bad they didn't stick with one, maybe two, titles. stick to the idea of him at a certain age (post high school) and throw in the occasional future peter story if a writer presented one that merited publishing.
sometimes i think they should just stop monthly issues all-together and just make mini-series. half the time those are the books i like the most. Future Imperfect might be a good example. ahh actually that leads me to realize the fact that after all these years comics as a chronological canon based idea are so fucked up there is no saving them. too much has been done at this point to ever make everyone happy, movies included. it basically seems like theyll put out anything they think will sell. 
i feel i have to point out, that i havent looked at a new issue rack at a LCS in a while. at least not with the intention of buying anything. i may be a little overdue to do that. so my knowledge of whats going on is a little lacking. but when i hear there's yet another version of spider-man coming out (after another version of Secret Wars, after another version of the FF, after another X-men VS Avengers...) it certainly doesn't make me, a 45 yr old guy, want to go look into it. 

Edited by Robert Ingrao on 12 July 2015 at 4:41pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2015 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 12  

It's OK, Anthony, I'll have a chat with Mephisto, and we'll forget the whole...
...wait, what?
``````````
:)

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version