Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

It's taken me a long time to get over that completist
mindset in buying new comics, but over the last few years,
I've managed to shake it off.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 July 2015 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

Comic book companies certainly can't be considered unique in over-saturating the market with what's popular but they may take it to new levels.

The first character that I recall getting this treatment was the Punisher. Then Wolverine.
-------------------------
More recently they did it to Deadpool. At one point he was in Deadpool, Deadpool MAX, Deadpool Corps, X-Force, Thunderbolts, and probably some other things I'm forgetting every month.

Now they're doing it with the Guardians of the Galaxy since the movie's popularity. Within a couple months, in addition to a Guardians title and a Guardians team up title, Drax, Starlord, Rocket Raccoon, and Gamorra are all going to have solo titles. And Groot is in a mini-series.

Its really knuckleheaded. They treat character popularity the way Dick Cheney treats newly discovered oil.
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

In today's paper new details about the new Spider-Man movie were in the entertainment section.

"Marvel honcho Kevin Feige has revealed that the new film will explore Spider-Man in a firmly high-school setting. "Spider-Man will be a John Hughes movie".

This is the best part:

"He added that Spidey's age will set him apart from the other Marvel characters... That also makes him very, very different from any of our other characters in the MCU, which is something else we want to explore: how unique he is when now put against all these other characters."

So if this movie makes a kid into a Spider-Man fan and he goes into a comic shop to find a Spider-Man comic, he'll get a story about Peter Parker as Tony Stark instead.

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

When Disney acquired Marvel, I had hoped that they would
solidify the characters' brands, and we would see one
classic, consistent version of the characters. In fact,
I expected it from Disney. Boy was I wrong!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 7:21pm | IP Logged | 5  

So if this movie makes a kid into a Spider-Man fan and he goes into a comic shop to find a Spider-Man comic, he'll get a story about Peter Parker as Tony Stark instead.

•••

Nothing new there. If anyone sought out a Superman comic after the first Donner/Reeve movie, they'd have found Clark Kent, news anchor, Steve Lombard and Morgan Edge!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2015 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

When Disney acquired Marvel, I had hoped that they would
solidify the characters' brands, and we would see one
classic, consistent version of the characters. In fact,
I expected it from Disney. Boy was I wrong!

They are kind of doing that, unfortunately they are solidifying the brand around the movie and TV versions of these characters. It's a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 7  

You'll have to explain how the tail is wagging the dog... Which is the small part that is controlling the large part?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 8  

You'll have to explain how the tail is wagging the dog... Which is the small part that is controlling the large part?

••

You're being too literal. RIck's analogy works in the context of the adaptations redefining the originals.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

Indeed, right now the adaptations are more true to their roots than what is currently published. I can see it now Iron Man 4: the story of Howard Stark's adopted son, Tony meeting his brother arno for the first time. Think of the diversity!

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

But we aren't even getting consistent movie versions
across all media either. Every medium (movies, tv,
comics, video games, cartoons, toys, etc.) seems to have
a different version now. So unlike Disney to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

So unlike Disney to me. 

------

Disney pushes different versions of their Princesses between their live-action movies and animation. They even changed Maleficent from a green-skinned villain to a pale-skinned antihero. And as much as they've been Disneyfying ONCE UPON A TIME, they don't seem to mind taking their Princesses off-model there. 

There's also the more child-friendly modern Mickey Mouse in MICKEY MOUSE CLUBHOUSE and the more old-school, slightly more violent, slapstick Mickey in the current Mickey Mouse shorts. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2015 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 12  

And we still have classic Winnie the Pooh from the books and the animated and more cute version as well.  The Toys in places like walmart are 95% movie based with a couple of comic things added. Legos have all switched over to being MCU based as well. TV is consistent in that it doesn't have the budget the movies do. SHIELD and Daredevil both refer back to events in the movies making them feel a part of the MCU as well. The thing that out of line is publishing. 

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version