Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 1  

But they're not!  I'm playing BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT right now.  It's a fantastic game.  But it's not the "same content" as the comics.  It just can't be and that's not slagging either one.  They're different, which is why I believe they can exist in the same space...if only Marvel and DC could understand that as opposed to seeing their comics output as just R&D for other media.
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 2  

Matt Reed wrote:
 Sorry, but nothing good can come from the Spider-totem crap

Just remember that's an opinion and not a fact.  Remember that when someone decides something from the untouchable Lee-Ditko era is crap -- eg. the Living Brain story and writes it out of existence.  Hence my point about cherrypicking.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 3  

What I'm trying to say is that Marvel and DC have made a concerted effort to move their product from all-ages to adult.  I don't see how that can be argued.  I really can't. The majority of the product they produce today excluding the three titles mentioned in this thread produced by Marvel in their entire line line is geared toward adults (which is sad, but perhaps part of a larger discussion). They figure the kid side can be handled by merchandising.  As if that's all a kid needs.  And the merchandising is of the films, which does tend to be all-ages thus confusing the point if they wanted to pick up a comic featuring, say, the Hulk or Thor.  Yeah, neither all-ages friendly nor anything like what they just saw in AGE OF ULTRON.  Talk about brand confusion!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 4  

No, Rob, Spider-totem = crap is not an opinion.  It's fact.  It's a piece of shit story no matter what someone else can spin with that shit.  It's horrible.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 5  

Video games existed when DISNEY ADVENTURES was selling a million copies (and last Halloween when 50% of the kids receiving my comics yelled "Yay!  Hey Mom, I got a COMIC!" for that matter).

The only thing that has changed since then is the arrival of the iPad--which is just one MORE way to get comics in front of kids!  The trick is to offer them story content their parents won't ban or that is otherwise unappealing to kids (like unrecognizable characters or coming in in the middle of a 20-part "epic" that would confuse anybody).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 03 July 2015 at 1:26am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 6  

Andrew W Farago wrote:
Spidey trying to make a go of it as a scientist? That's always been his life's ambition, hasn't it?

Trying to make it a go as a scientist is far different than making it a go as a CEO, wouldn't you agree? That's a HUGE jump. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 7  

What I'm trying to say is that Marvel and DC have made a concerted effort to move their product from all-ages to adult.  I don't see how that can be argued.  I really can't.

-----

No one's arguing that. My point is the format of print periodicals is dying. Marvel and DC certainly hastened its demise with respect to comic books, but given the technological shift in how we consume media, no change in content is going to bring that back. I do think they should shift their content to all-ages for the trade formats and digital, but all this "if we make it all-ages again, they will come" rhetoric is just Grandpa Simpsoning.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 8  

This makes me think of what DC once said to JB, regarding Superman-
-there was the one he was writing and drawing, and the one that was
licensed for merchandising purposes.

Seems to me that everyone now gets to come along and put their spin
on a character. Cartoon Spider-Man is different from Movie Spider-Man
is different from Newspaper Strip Spider-Man is different from Reboot
Movie Spider-Man is different from Marvel Universe Comic Spider-Man
is different from Ultimate Comic Spider-Man is different from SECRET
WARS Reboot Comic Spider-Man is different from Action Figure
Spider-Man.

From costume to age to supporting cast to life circumstances, we've got
numerous contradictory and tonally-different variants on what
should all be one easily-accessible character. Is it the audience
that has become fragmented, or has the character been fragmented,
perhaps so as to appeal to as many demographics as possible?

Back in the day, Comic Spider-Man was basically the same as
Newspaper Strip Spider-Man, who was basically the same as SPIDER-
MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS Spider-Man (aside from the sole
addition of those amazing friends, of course).

Seriously--someone should go and put a chart examining all of the
variations of Spider-Man that exist across all the various media in this
one month alone, or, say, from the past year, and compare them. I think
the results would be interesting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:35am | IP Logged | 9  

Trying to make it a go as a scientist is far different than making it a go as a CEO, wouldn't you agree? That's a HUGE jump. 

------

The way 60's Marvel scientists were portrayed are more in line with the modern idea of an tech startup-inventor than what real-world scientists do.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 10  

Matt, I'm not the biggest fan of Chapter One, especially for the brief period where it was insinuated that it was the 'true' origin.  However, I respect other people's right to like and enjoy that story.  No opinion is universal.  Not on a planet of 7+ billion.

In hindsight I can't really blame the Chief for taking on the project and I know that it wasn't his intention to supplant the Lee-Ditko origin.  Other people though had different ideas.

Not a fan of Spider-totem either, but there are people out there who do like it.  Did you know that Dan dusted off the Living Brain and actually made that silly story a little more palatable?   (for that matter the entirety of ASM #8 is a wash IMO, the back up story is pretty weak too)

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 03 July 2015 at 1:40am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:37am | IP Logged | 11  

I remember when I got my Atari 2600.  I played with it for days and days.  Loved that machine.  Still own it as a matter of fact.  But I also read comics at the same time.  That's the truth behind the myth.  I was ::shocker!!!:: able to do both.  Play video games, watch cable, borrow VHS tapes, go outside to play with my action figures and read comics! None of the things before "read comics" pushed them out because I made time.  Why?  Marvel demanded that I read them!  They either did that by being present on the shelves in the grocery store or by the articles I read in the comics themselves and, really, by just being compelling reads to an 8 year-old in 1975.  They leapt out and grabbed you.  I had tons of other things that could have certainly taken up my time (as if the 2000's is the only generation to have anything other than rocks and sticks for kids), but I chose comics as one of many options because they sold them to me.  Now all they're selling are action figures and t-shirts without the underlying reason for loving them in the first place; the stories that grabbed you as a kid.

Sorry, but I think that's incredibly sad.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2015 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 12  

Back in the day, Comic Spider-Man was basically the same as 
Newspaper Strip Spider-Man, who was basically the same as SPIDER-
MAN AND HIS AMAZING FRIENDS Spider-Man (aside from the sole 
addition of those amazing friends, of course).

-----

Spider-Man with two superpowered teammates who know his secret identity and live with him in his apartment outfitted with all sorts of gadgets provided by Tony Stark is as much of a change as some of the other things people are complaining about in this thread.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 03 July 2015 at 1:41am

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version