Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1  

So now  Marvel is going to have Peter Parker as THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and Miles Morales as just SPIDER-MAN, both existing in the same universe?

Retarded.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 2  

...just occasional dips story-wise (Spider-Island!) and art-wise (Humberto Ramos!!)...

•••

Ramos to you was a DIP? I quite like his stuff.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 3  

DON: So now Marvel is going to have Peter Parker as THE AMAZING
SPIDER-MAN, and Miles Morales as just SPIDER-MAN, both existing
in the same universe?

SER: It's not the wisest business plan. It's like selling both New Coke
and Coca-Cola Classic. You diminish the brand.

But Marvel also thinks turning Spider-Man into a version of Batman with
a little Iron Man thrown in is a good idea. This makes Marvel Team Up
seem on model.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4  

It's not the wisest business plan. It's like selling both New Coke and Coca-Cola Classic. You diminish the brand.

•••

Or, as happened with Coke/New Coke, you double your shelf space -- for a while at least!

And "a while" seems about as far ahead as anyone can plan, these days.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 5  

Readers also share part of the blame; these days they 
don't actually want new characters. On those rare 
occasions that someone creates a totally new 
character--Gravity, Blue Marvel--people don't buy 
their books.

From my perspective, Blue Marvel didn't suffer in the sales department because readers don't want new characters it was because he was put into yet another Avengers titles.  People didn't buy Mighty Avengers because there was already Avengers, Uncanny Avengers, Ultimate Avengers, Captain America and the Avengers and so on.

Which hasn't just affected a new character like Blue Marvel(who I happen to like).  All the Avengers books are suffering sales-wise where I am.

Which is a problem with many different titles.  Batman, Captain America, Spider-Man, Superman...even Aquaman has two titles!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

When I worked in animation, writers had to produce scripts based on strict series Bibles. There was no wiggle room for 'change', but writers knew what was expected upfront and delivered.

The idea that a comic book character must be changed in order to be more interesting to write seems indulgent and undisciplined to me. I'd take the gig of writing classic, 'boring' Spider-Man any day of the week!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Stιphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Ramos may have qualities but for me it's not the sort of art i want to see on Spider-Man.
Oddly the art i saw of his upcomingX-Men work didn't pose me problems so far. I rather would have thought that ld like it even less than on Spider-Man.
On a similar note in Spider-Man i like his Black Cat.
I think his art overall don't fit the book and i don't like at all the way he draws the main character but there's certainly things to like in his work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

The idea that a comic book character must be changed in order to be more interesting to write seems indulgent and undisciplined to me. I'd take the gig of writing classic, 'boring' Spider-Man any day of the week!

•••

Greg, love you, and I want to bear your children!

As I have said, when I started at Marvel it was with a g burning enthusiasm to work on the established characters AS THEY WERE. Doing a Spider-Man who wasn't SPIDER-MAN would have seemed utterly pointless. (And, let's face it, the Spider-Man in MTU was a long was from Stan and Steve's version. But at least there was a continuity. I could believe he was the same guy.)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 9  

Is it really too much to ask that, as the years go by, characters remain at least essentially similar, or at very least generally recognizable...?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

Is it really too much to ask that, as the years go by, characters remain at least essentially similar, or at very least generally recognizable...?

••

One of the problems -- and I have, indeed, benefitted from this! -- is that to a great extent it has become all about the singer, and not the song. There was a time when there were not even credits in comics, as many of you know, and those of us who wanted to follow a particular artist did so based on style. (Not so easy with writers!)

But it was the CHARACTERS that were important. And, yes, the characters were expected to stay the same, not constantly change to feed the egos of the "talent" and the ennui of the consumers.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

As I have said, when I started at Marvel it was with a g burning enthusiasm to work on the established characters AS THEY WERE. Doing a Spider-Man who wasn't SPIDER-MAN would have seemed utterly pointless.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Spider-Man was my favorite characters growing up. My Spidey artist was Romita not Ditko. Their styles are so very different. Romita in my opinion made Peter much cooler than Ditko did. Romita even drew him better looking. Still there was no mistaking it was the same character. 

The artists who followed them still were working on the same character. I don't know exactly when that all changed. For me it began to change when Erik Larsen and Todd McFarlane were drawing the character.  

Every once in a while Spidey peeked his head out from where he was hiding. When JRJR was on the title. 

The cost of comics today and the lack of content for that cost. Is the reason why I don't collect on a regular basis anymore. The characters being unrecognizable is the reason I don't care to be collecting them.

I want to add JB's commissions make me glad and a bit sad. IT is nice to see familiar faces again. But it is a painful reminder of what we lost.

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 12  

I think that's why I like the Stern/Romita JR run so much (although I'm biased, since it's the time I started collecting); it's the same ol' Spider-Man (and Peter Parker), but with a fresh coat of paint.

I'd suggest that respect for the characters (and source material) is key!

Edited by Greg Woronchak on 02 July 2015 at 1:45pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version