Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 44 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man - presented without comment (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Namor is a King so the jump to CEO is not out of character. Peter Parker becoming a CEO is.
Back to Top profile | search

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 2  

Koroush wrote:
"I'm genuinely curious-why you (and many others here)so firmly believe that all ages superhero comics would be very successful."

I firmly believe that all ages superheroes comics would be very successful BECAUSE THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL SINCE THE 1940s !!!!!!

Comics used to sell a half millions issues per month now the top selling titles barely can crack a hundred thousand. A fraction of the all ages-aimed material of the past.
Their current sales model is a failure compared to the successful model of the past.

I'm starting to think you're just being facetious.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 3  

"Characters aging, characters getting married, having children, becoming CEOs, etc, these are REAL changes. Nothing illusionary about them."

++

But didn't you have Bruce Banner marry Betty? Have Namor become a CEO? Why were those not "real changes"?

••

The first was -- and it was a mistake. The clarity of hindsight is always 20/20. (A tiresome aspect of discussions like these is any comment I make will invariably send some people scurrying off to find examples of my having broken my own "rule." Apparently, learning curves are not allowed!)

The second was NOT a change, since, as noted upthread, Stan and Jack had done it decades earlier.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 4  

I can easily see Peter Parker becoming a scientist, a photograph or a teacher. A businessman, not so much.
And a press photograph can very well work for an on-line newspaper. I kniw at least one site that work with that economic model ( not a free site) and long time newspapers als
o have on-line editions. Professional photographd are still part if it.
I enjoed xhat i read if Dan Slott's Spider-man. The reason i didn't buy it recently was thzt i didn't like Humberto Ramos' aft on that charzcter. I git an issue by him ladt year and had no problem while reading it, but once out of the story when i look at the character... no, i can't. That sort of art on Spider_Man is't for me.
So i'll give a try to ictober's relaunch, gor the Dpider-mobil, Shangai and because the new artist seems clodet to my tastes. 

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 5  

If you wonder, yed i'm typing this on my phone.
I miss Spider-Man. i enjoyed the issues of Superior drawn by Ryan Stegman.
I also enjoyed the first arc of Brand new Day, i'll give it a shot.

I'll also try Iron Man, which like all Bendis books will be after issue one " i like it after all" and after issue 3, 4 or five " eniugh if that out of chqrzcter jokes and of that bad tawte, the good thibgs herevare not worth it. 

ok. if my regular line works laterbi'll cirect my pist
i hope you understand most of it

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 6  

No, i don't have an accent, this is my phone.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 7  

For Jason Arron, i only read Star Wars by him and i enjoy it so far.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 8  

Dan, how much of PeterParker/Spider-Man's core qualities were discussed when floating ideas about how to update the character? Was there any discussion of keeping him "everyman" or was the search on to find a new way to make him modern? Thanks in advance.

Steve Bryant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 9  

"Comics used to sell a half millions issues per month now the top selling titles barely can crack a hundred thousand. A fraction of the all ages-aimed material of the past.
Their current sales model is a failure compared to the successful model of the past."

Respectfully, aren't the numbers of all periodicals down significantly from that period? For that matter, the numbers of most media—from television to music to movies to terrestrial radio—have been affected over a similar period.

Don't get me wrong; I feel that the comics industry (as a whole) has made some poor choices over the last three decades. But solely attributing the sales decline to abandoning all-ages material doesn't  hold water when looking at audience fragmentation across other mediums.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 10  

QUOTE:
"I'm genuinely curious-why you (and many others here)so firmly believe that all ages superhero comics would be very successful."

I firmly believe that all ages superheroes comics would be very successful BECAUSE THEY WERE SUCCESSFUL SINCE THE 1940s !!!!!!

I would add my personal experience. I have son born in 1993 and another son born in 2008. Both by the time they were toddlers knew and loved superheroes. They loved reading my old comics, the originals, reprints, collections, on CD-Rom, online, what-have-you. But they had nowhere to turn for new comicbooks featuring these superheroes, the classics, the great ones, the ones they rightly adored. This is just anecdotal, of course, but I asked all the time my older boy's friends if any of them, 15 years ago or so, read new comicbooks. Nope. None. ZERO. The same is true today for every single one of my younger boy's friends. There was not a boy anywhere that I knew of that was into new comicbooks. Let's be more clear: virtually none of them read even old comicbooks, which is understandable because they have no nostalgia for these old mags, nor should they. Every new generation of comicbook readers "deserved" their own new stories featuring the same great classic characters, the ones who now get butchered in all kinds of media, not least of all that of their origin, but who are now so repeatedly in the cultural spotlight that it would be hardly possible to be unaware of them. I also have two daughters, one born in 1994 and another in 2011, so for girls too, in my experience, there was nothing for them. Nothing for all these kids who WANTED comicbooks, new ones, all of their own, featuring the same great classic characters. Tough sh@t, kids!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 11  

Comics have really become a niche market. Even when I
was growing up, the average kid read superhero comics.
If you wanted an easy gift for a kid, you stopped by a
7-11 and bought him (and sometimes her) the latest
SUPERMAAN or BATMAN or SPIDER-MAN.

Then came the direct market, and the implication and
soon the reality (as the comics racks of my youth
vanished from supermarkets and convenience stores) was
that comics was a specialized interest. Is your kid
"into comics"? became the question. Is he a "comic book
geek"? There are obsessives of course in all hobbies and
pastimes -- sports is a classic example. But there's
room for the statistics-spouting sports fan and the
majority who enjoy casually catching a game at home or
at the local bar. However, sports doesn't cater to just
the extreme fans.

Even the progression of comics in media has reflected
this change: A sitcom or movie from 50 years ago might
show children rushing to play softball with a curled up
comic in that back pocket or sneaking to read comics
under his bed. Radar on M*A*S*H or even Joey from
FRIENDS were comics fans, but this was intended to
reveal an innocent, child-like side to them. Now, we
arrive at THE BIG BANG THEORY and they are overgrown
adolescents (men close to 40 wearing Superman and FLASH
tee-shirts). So, we've gone from the all-American
pastime of average kids to the most extreme fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2015 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 12  

I would add my personal experience. I have son born in 1993 and another son born in 2008. Both by the time they were toddlers knew and loved superheroes. They loved reading my old comics, the originals, reprints, collections, on CD-Rom, online, what-have-you. But they had nowhere to turn for new comicbooks featuring these superheroes, the classics, the great ones, the ones they rightly adored. This is just anecdotal, of course, but I asked all the time my older boy's friends if any of them, 15 years ago or so, read new comicbooks. Nope. None. ZERO. The same is true today for every single one of my younger boy's friends. There was not a boy anywhere that I knew of that was into new comicbooks. Let's be more clear: virtually none of them read even old comicbooks, which is understandable because they have no nostalgia for these old mags, nor should they. Every new generation of comicbook readers "deserved" their own new stories featuring the same great classic characters, the ones who now get butchered in all kinds of media, not least of all that of their origin, but who are now so repeatedly in the cultural spotlight that it would be hardly possible to be unaware of them. I also have two daughters, one born in 1994 and another in 2011, so for girls too, in my experience, there was nothing for them. Nothing for all these kids who WANTED comicbooks, new ones, all of their own, featuring the same great classic characters. Tough sh@t, kids!

The problem is there are no outlets for kids to pick up copies of books. They can't just pop down the road and pick up a copy from the newsagents, grocery store, drugstore, etc now they have to go right into the city/town centre and that means they're already seeking comics rather than stumbling across them.

<< Prev Page of 44 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version