Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Bruce/Caitlyn (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

If anything is "PC BS" it's the idea that there is a distinction between biological and mental conditions. That idea is rooted in the mind/body dualism that comes from a religious perspective of having a separate body and a soul. Most mental conditions have a physical, biological component. Things in the brain are firing differently than the "norm". 
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

which would be the wet dream of all straight male inmates/criminals)
~~~~~~~~~
Clearly you've seen too many women behind bars movies. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 3  

If a trans woman or man commits a crime and is sent to prison, which prison should said trans man or woman be sent to? Should someone like Jenner, who still has his male genitalia and who says that he is not gay and is attracted to women be sent to a female prison (which would be the wet dream of all straight male inmates/criminals)?

••

My head hurts.

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

They both think normally. They just don't think the same.
My point exactly.Just because we(men and women) think differently doesn't mean one is normal and the other is not. 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Clearly you've seen too many women behind bars movies.

LOL, yeah I know that real female prisons are no where near like you see in the movies. A lot (if not most) female inmates do not look as glamorous or attractive as they look in the movies or are all straight. However, if given a choice, I'm pretty sure that most straight male criminals/inmates would rather be sent to an all female prison rather then a all male prison solely because they would be hoping to get lucky with numerous horny female inmates.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

My head hurts.

My head started hurting when news broke about Jenner allegedly dating his soon to be ex wife's best female friend as he was transitioning into a woman. My headache increased when Jenner said that he was straight and was still attracted to women. Now there are questions about which locker room he will use at the golf club that he is a member of.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 7  

Most mental conditions have a physical, biological component. Things in the brain are firing differently than the "norm".

You said "most", not "all" mental conditions have a physical, biological component, which I take it means that "some" mental conditions do not have a physical biological component. So are there any mental conditions that do not have a physical biological component? Also, if being transgender is a mental condition caused by a physical biological component, can the condition be treated or reversed with the use of medication?

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks Mark & Paul, we're on the same page

Paul Simpson Simpson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2015 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 9  

Thank you Paul.

Antonio Diniz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 10  

According to the American Psychological Association:

QUOTE:
A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability. Many transgender people do not experience their gender as distressing or disabling, which implies that identifying as transgender does not constitute a mental disorder. For these individuals, the significant problem is finding affordable resources, such as counseling, hormone therapy, medical procedures and the social support necessary to freely express their gender identity and minimize discrimination. Many other obstacles may lead to distress, including a lack of acceptance within society, direct or indirect experiences with discrimination, or assault. These experiences may lead many transgender people to suffer with anxiety, depression or related disorders at higher rates than nontransgender persons.

According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5), people who experience intense, persistent gender incongruence can be given the diagnosis of "gender dysphoria." Some contend that the diagnosis inappropriately pathologizes gender noncongruence and should be eliminated. Others argue that it is essential to retain the diagnosis to ensure access to care. The International Classification of Diseases (ICD) is under revision and there may be changes to its current classification of intense persistent gender incongruence as "gender identity disorder."

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2015 at 7:27am | IP Logged | 11  

From what I have seen Jenner has just changed the outer appearance. Is that what makes a woman a woman? If being transgendered is just an outward appearance that is opposite of the person's genitalia then I am confused. I think Jenner might be causing more harm to this entire issue than good. Should Eric Sprague be considered a lizard trapped in a human's body?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 June 2015 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 12  

A psychological state is considered a mental disorder only if it causes significant distress or disability.

••

How does this cover people who are completely delusional, but not experiencing and "distress or disability"?

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version