Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Bruce/Caitlyn (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Mike Benson, I don't remember where anybody said gender identity disorder is a choice.  No one is going to choose a mental illness.

As I said previously, I have a friend who is going through the same thing.  She used to wear a binding to hide her breasts.  She would cut herself and has attempted suicide countless times.

As far as I can tell all of that has stopped.  She has a boyfriend now and seems happier today than she has ever been.

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

As far as I can tell all of that has stopped.  She has a boyfriend now and seems happier today than she has ever been.
~~~~~~~
Is she really happier or is she just conforming so others around her will be happier?

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Anthony, Kaitlin is about as nonconformist as one can be. That hasn't changed.

Edited by John M. Jackson on 09 June 2015 at 4:56pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 4  

Anthony, Kaitlin is about as nonconformist as one can be. That hasn't changed.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can anyone else really know what is going on inside someone else's head?

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm only going to respond once because I can predict how this will end and I don't want to have a flame war here.
---
Conner, if you could walk the proverbial mile in a gay, or transgendered, individual's shoes you might understand a little better than you seem to.
---
Why do you assume I don't understand them? I have had a lot of experience with them all my life. I used to live in Atlanta and it's populated with an abundance of gay and transgendered people. My ex-girlfriends in the 90s Father was a transgender and almost had a sex-change. He abandoned it altogether 2 years after he appeared on Geraldo with her mother. I do understand them.
---
It's gotten much better to be sure, but imagine for a moment being something that makes you the target of ridicule, scorn, judgment, and at the very worst, physical assault. For some people, particularly younger ones that are by nature more emotionally vulnerable, this treatment is constant and unrelenting.
---
I understand that and I've experienced that, probably not to the extent that they have but I was abused and bullied throughout my school years. I was beaten up and I quit school in the 9th grade and was a social hermit for several years.
---
Add that to the fact that, contrary to what some ignorant people have claimed in this thread, it isn't a choice - not something you can just turn off - and you have a recipe for higher suicide rates.
---
Possibly or there could be factors about the being gay transgender itself. What about the countries where this is more commonly accepted? Are the rates lower? I've seen that they seem to have a feeling of never fitting in and self loathing that has nothing to do with the bullying. You can't blame outside influences for the majority of these suicides when you don't know all the factors.
---
I'm not going to roast you, but seems like you could use some good old fashioned empathy and compassion. Not much of a leap from asserting that a group of people is "mentally unstable" and being one of the bullies that make life hell for some of the LGBT community.
---
Once again I have empathy and compassion especially for people that could be mentally unstable. Are you not compassionate towards mentally unstable people? Why would this be the logical conclusion if I think they are? I try to treat all people with dignity and respect despite my differences with them. Don't assume that because I disagree and think the way I do that it equals bigotry.

Any way this won't end well if I continue so I'm out.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 6  

Mike Benson, I don't remember where anybody said gender identity disorder is a choice.

YOU declared homosexuality a choice earlier in the discussion. If you read my post a little more slowly, you can probably comprehend my point.

Someone earlier was correct. You are a buffoon. A truly momentous occasion, the first person I've put on an ignore list ever. Well deserved.

Conner, this is the flip side. Being a grown up gay person and being able to ignore bigots and fools.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 7  

Anthony, no one really knows what goes on in someone else's mind, but I would think having no more suicide attempts and no more cutting is a pretty good sign.

John M. Jackson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

Mike, I said homosexual sex.  That is not gender identity disorder.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 9  

I wonder if women are imagined to "think differently" because we live in a
world where normally men have the advantages and hence male is the
default "normal" and everything else is different.
There is no imagination involved.Women think differently because they are
women.Why do women only commit around 10% of all murders and a
infinitesimal number of serial killings.Sounds like there is a big
difference.Yes this is only one example,but it is a pretty big one.

############
I'm not questioning behavior is different but rather 2 things
1. Why say they think differently. Maybe they think normally and men think
differently. I know it's a little bit of semantics but I hope you see what I'm
saying
2. Do they think behave/think differently because of an organic difference
in their brain or is because of societal/cultural norms? Or both? How much
of eachFor myself, I have to believe that upbringing has a lot to do it. I
never seen a study where they found a "murder" gene and it's only in the
brains of men. I think men are encouraged to act physically more than
women. Some organics but I suspect culture/upbringing has a lot to do with
it.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

Regarding a "murder" gene found only in men, you have MAOA, popularly referred to as the "warrior gene", involved in the regulation of neurotransmitters. Deficiencies in this gene are related to aggression and antisocial behavior. It exists on the X chromosome, which could explain why men are more prone to murder. Being XY, they have only one copy of the gene, while women have two copies, so that even if one of their copies was deficient, it is likely that the other copy is functioning normally. 

http://www.nature.com/mp/journal/v20/n6/full/mp2014130a.html

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

1. Why say they think differently. Maybe they think normally and men think
differently. I know it's a little bit of semantics but I hope you see what I'm
saying

They both think normally. They just don't think the same.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2015 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

If a man transitions into a woman and is recognized as a woman, then does that mean said trans woman has the right to compete in female sporting events? If a trans woman or man commits a crime and is sent to prison, which prison should said trans man or woman be sent to? Should someone like Jenner, who still has his male genitalia and who says that he is not gay and is attracted to women be sent to a female prison (which would be the wet dream of all straight male inmates/criminals)? What are the legal ramifications if a person is dating and/or marries a person that they thought was a naturally born man or woman, but later found out was actually transgender? Should they be allowed to sue said transgender person for deceiving them? Should all transgender people be legally obligated to inform any person that they are interested in dating or marrying that they are transgender before they go on a first date or before they get married? These are some of the questions (in addition to the medical and scientific questions) that need to addressed before we start declaring transgendered people being a different gender after they transition. And yes, people have the right to live their life the way that they want to as long as it's not harming anyone, but lets not buy into all of the PC BS and start incorrectly labeling every condition as a biological condition when it could be a mental condition (or vis versa).

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version