Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s "new look" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 1  

If they wanted to do that, they'd model them after the billion dollar movies. Who is Grandpa Steve Rogers supposed to appeal to?
---------------------------
I think Grandpa Steve is their 'clever' way of keeping the Steve Rogers character around while also introducing a new Captain America...or in this case making Falcon into Falcon America. They've now got an African-American Cap, but without doing yet another 'kill off Steve Rogers for ten minutes' story.

Likewise making X-23 the new Wolverine and keeping Old Man Logan. They keep Logan around as a character, while having a new, young, female Wolverine who they can have headline a comic and claim greater gender diversity.
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Pope
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 2  

"A thought just struck me. Thor has been a horse and a frog." 

Thor has not "been a horse".  That character (Beta-Ray Bill) is still some whole other-body altogether. The frog thing was totally Thor as a frog, and now the woman Thor feels like a gimmick. 
The Thor/hammer enchantment, are you worthy pick me up and be a God for a day spell feels like it should have been lifted long ago.

Magic Hammer, kinda' starts to feel like a Magic Bullet for a story.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 3  

I really would have preferred a line of new titles featuring all new original characters that would blend into the Marvel Universe as a result of whatever big event upheaval was cooked up.   the argument that new characters don't catch on is annoying.  EVERY character was new at some point.  

I just can't stand the notion of the works of Stan lee, Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko and so many others being tossed aside in favor of gimmicky offshoots and alternate versions designed largely in part to generate buzz and perpetuate movie opportunities.   Many Marvel characters I'd like to consider sacrosanct.  

As an editor in chief my rule will be: "preserve the legends that got us here and make sure they have the support needed to last forever."  So the landscape around them can change as needed.  and new characters can come and go based on their success.  

What writer who loves Marvel Comics be genuinely excited to do away with the classic characters who probably got them into comics in the first place?  

It's crazy.

Clint Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

"And the Human Torch is apparently in the Inhumans, and in a relationship with Medusa. Which makes no sense because they could have just as easily hooked him up with Crystal, and because they just introduced a new Inhuman named Inferno with fire powers."

Don't forget that Toro (the original Human Torch's sidekick) has been revealed to be an Inhuman as well.  

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 5  

The art itself I liked.  Kind of as Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe entries.   The redesigns (with the exception of Iron-Man) I do not care for.  I've long thought that a reboot of the entire universe would be good.  A minimalist (maybe 10-12 titles at first) back to the basics approach  with a creative overview that respects the past.  Hard to find that kind of creative force now and these are not all the characters I would start with.  But I haven't read any M***** in a decade and I'm not likely to start with this dreck.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

Word has it that a different character will be the Hulk.  Rumor has it that Amadeus Cho will become the gamma ray powered Hulk while Bruce Banner will do other things. 

That right there alone is reason enough to bail.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've long thought that a reboot of the entire universe would be good.

••

When the industry was strong and healthy, there was a reboot about every five years -- of the readers!!

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Word has it that a different character will be the Hulk. Rumor has it that Amadeus Cho will become the gamma ray powered Hulk while Bruce Banner will do other things.
---------------------------
It hasn't been confirmed who NuHulk is. The main rumors are Amadeus Cho, Ultimate Reed Richards, and Jennifer Walters. The latter being a way to turn it into a transgender character.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

"Jennifer Walters. The latter being a way to turn it into a transgender character."

If they go that route and NOT do a spoof Vanity Fair cover somebody ain't doing their job.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 10  

I miss MARVEL COMICS GROUP.

Thank goodness for my back issues!!!

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Charles, I confess I am very nostalgic for that era of comics. After the Silver-Age, I feel Marvel and DC both had a wave of great comics during the late 1970s' and early 1980s'.

DC:

New Teen Titans (Wolfman and Perez)
Legion of Super-Heroes (Paul Levitz and Keith Giffen)

Marvel:

Daredevil (Frank Miller)
Captain America (Roger Stern and John Byrne)
Uncanny X-Men (Chris Claremont, John Byrne, Dave Cockrum, and Paul Smith)
Thor (Walt Simonson)
Amazing Spider-Man (Roger Stern and John Romita, Jr)
Avengers (Roger Stern and various artists)

There was awesome comics in the early to mid 1970s', and after the early 1980s', but for a period of years there was a wealth of great comics entertainment that was a notch or ten above the norm.

Edited to note: OH... and those creators BUILT on what came before, and did not TEAR it down!

Edited by Matt Hawes on 08 June 2015 at 4:34pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2015 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Even if there is no sharp line to speak of, in general I think of the Marvel I grew up with as pre-Secret Wars and post-Secret Wars. Many readers likes to think back to those days for a reason. The industry was living and breathing and produced the kind of great stories that is very rarely seen these days.

I don't know what happened after Secret Wars and what the reason was, but looking back it seems to represent the end of an era, or at least the beginning of its end.

Edited by Olav Bakken on 08 June 2015 at 4:42pm

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version