Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s "new look" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 June 2015 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

Great list, Brian!  It's funny--you wrote that four years ago and some of the ones you said had come to pass have even MORE come to pass!  And these led to new series--Spider-Man DID join the FF when Johnny Storm "died," Mark Waid 's recent run had the HULK with Bruce Banner's brain, Waid also outed Matt Murdock as DAREDEVIL (and sent him back to San Francisco), and now, like you say, we've got the female THOR.  

Edited by Eric Jansen on 10 June 2015 at 11:04pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 2  

Waid also outed Matt Murdock as DAREDEVIL

Didn't Bendis do that 10 years ago?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 3  

Matt successfully sued the paper that outed him as Daredevil for libel and denied that he was Daredevil. So while many people believed that he was Daredevil, it was an unproven allegation. He has now publicly acknowledged that he is Daredevil. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 7:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt successfully sued the paper that outed him as Daredevil for libel and denied that he was Daredevil. So while many people believed that he was Daredevil, it was an unproven allegation. He has now publicly acknowledged that he is Daredevil.

••

I'm reminded of a story my father used to tell.

Many a moon ago, there was a newspaper columnist in England who called himself "Cassandra." In one of his columns, reviewing a Liberace concert, he hinted broadly that the performer was Gay. Liberace sued -- and won! "Cassandra" had to pay a hefty settlement.

Years later, when Liberace was finally Outed, the aged Cassandra's response was to ask "Can I have my money back now?"

Antonio Diniz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 5  

QUOTE:
Seems to make sense from a business standpoint. Why promote the competition?

•••

You're talking about the same Marvel which, during the speculator boom, ran page after page of dealer ads festooned with Image characters.

Probably not a good idea on their part, then. I think they were on the verge of bankruptcy at that point too, no? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 6  

Seems to make sense from a business standpoint. Why promote the competition?•••

You're talking about the same Marvel which, during the speculator boom, ran page after page of dealer ads festooned with Image characters.

++++

Probably not a good idea on their part, then. I think they were on the verge of bankruptcy at that point too, no?

•••

Yes -- and in this foolishness we see poor business combined with fear of the retailers. "We can't afford to piss off the retailers" was virtually a mantra at Marvel and DC. So no one would dare ask those retailers to prepare separate ad sheets for the different publishers.

Sad thing is -- an I have spoken to many sane retailers who agree with this -- one of the healthiest things that could have been done WAS to "piss off the retailers" by expanding the marketplace and strengthening the bottom line thru diversification of outlets.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

John Byrne wrote:
...one of the healthiest things that could have been done WAS to "piss off the retailers" by expanding the marketplace and strengthening the bottom line thru diversification of outlets..

I am one who agrees! Any retailer that thinks comics being available in more outlets will hurt their business is a moron. Outlets such as grocery and department stores will never specialize in comics and comic related product, but they can be a breeding ground for new comics fans. Far from actually competing with comic shops, they can eventually fuel the business of those shops.

Whatever comics fans are created through exposure from those outlets will still likely seek out a comic shop once they become aware of such a shop.

Sure, casual readers may be content with only buying a comic every so often at a newsstand-type of outlet, but those that become true fans will want more than those outlets provide. Those people, most of which would not have had the initial exposure to comics otherwise, are customers the comics shops may not have ever had if not for the newsstand outlet.

I am sure most of us here first discovered comics because of a newsstand outlet, like a grocery store that carried them, or a convenience store. Likely, you were young and with a parent who bought you the comic when it caught your eye. Maybe you were introduced to comics by a sibling or a cousin, or a friend, but even then, they likely discovered comics at a newsstand outlet.

People who aren't already aware of comics don't usually stumble upon a comic shop by chance. You pretty much have to be aware of comics in the first place to even consider going to such a shop. But there are plenty of stories in the past where someone was first exposed to comics while at a department store, etc.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

Precisely. Getting comics back into a more diverse spread of venues -- a pipe dream at this point -- would bring back that thing which the comic shops have virtually eliminated: the impulse buy. And once that has been accomplished, a lot of those customers could be depended upon to seek out their local shops as a constant and reliable source.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 9  

Antonio Diniz wrote:
...Seems to make sense from a business standpoint. Why promote the competition?...

Because it isn't promoting the film in the strictest sense for Marvel Comics to publish "Fantastic Four." In fact Marvel Comics has more to gain from the film FOX is making than FOX would gain from Marvel continuing to publish the comics and market the comic book versions of its characters. Marvel. in other words, is acting like a moron and shooting itself in the foot.

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 10  

If you look at the countries that reads most comics, you will find that comics are available everywhere. That's how it used to be, but comic book reading seems to be in decline over most of the world for various reasons.

And not all towns and living areas have comic book shops, making newsstands and groceries the only places where one can buy comics. Unless subscription is an option.

When available in other stores as well, it's easy for children to ask their non-comic reading parents if they could buy them a comic they seem interested in. If only available in comic shops, that's something which is not very likely to happen.

These days you can also read comics on the net, but for me it's not quite the same.

Edited by Olav Bakken on 12 June 2015 at 5:32am

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 11  

"a constant and reliable source." That's exactly why I started shopping at comic shops when they came into being. I would never again miss an issue due to spotty distribution in my local drug store or 7-11. Also, if I recall correctly, they got the new comics out a week or so before the newsstands put them out. More outlets would only be good for the comic book biz in the long run. I agree that it's a pipe dream at this point, though.

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2015 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Part of the problem with going into other markets to garner casual readers is that they need to put out product that appeals to casual readers. And, I am not talking about problems with continuity. Continuity isn't really a problem if you aim for consistency, that when they pick up a book with Batman in the title, that there's actually a recognizable Batman in the book. Continuity only becomes a problem when every story is dependent on dense knowledge of the story up to that point and all of the changes that the characters have gone through.

No, the problem is that most of the individual issues featuring characters does not deliver a satisfying read by itself. A story that lasts a year, that doesn't quickly and ably define who the characters are and the status quo near the beginning of the issue is not going to bring new readers in. And, cinematic decompressed storytelling that renders a comic to be read in less than 5 minutes while costing more than $4 is going to further turn people away. In "writing for the trade", they've forgotten how to treat the individual issue as a product in and of itself. Judging from the recent Convergence tie-ins, many writers don't even know how to write a competent single-issue or two-issue story that wants to be read over and over.

Nowadays, I think if you are going to be pulling in new casual readers and going after new demographics, it's going to have to be through online resources. But, for the health of the print market and retailers, the two should be overlapping, not duplicating each others' efforts. Both should have content that's unique to each, exploiting their unique strengths.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version