Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: "Fanboy" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 1  

Cruising the interweb I feel a need to resurrect one of my old crusades. I'm sure I will be no more successful now than I have been before, but I really, really, really would like to persuade fans to STOP calling themselves "fanboys".

As originally coined, "fanboy" was a pejorative, used by fans to describe those over-zealous, socially stunted, borderland fans who did not represent us well in the public eye. And which, alas, have become how the public tends to see us, since the media tends to focus on just these types when they cover conventions. The Comic Shop Guy from THE SIMPSONS, only moreso!

So, my plea: if I cannot work a sweeping change across Fandom*, can we at least eradicate the word here in the JBF? At least when referring to ourselves? Pretty please?

* Past experience has taught me that the very fact I don't like this term will inspire some losers to use it to describe themselves. Same people who deliberately misspell Spider-Man, since they know "Spiderman" bugs the hell out of me. (And trust me, this is not paranoia. I've seen people say it in so many words. "My favorite character is Spiderman, and I spell it like that because I know it bugs John Byrne," Seriously!

Back to Top profile | search

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 2  

I can certainy abide by the rule not to use the term here.

As far as the rest of the world, I believe it is a term similar in nature to nerd and geek. All were coined as pejorative that led to an amount of self-loathing. Most name calling tends to have such an affect.  In this day, people take a great deal more pride and so have worked to take the power away from such words. By treating nerd, geek, fanboy/girl as badges of honor rather than pejoratives, it does not allow for the feeling of self loathing.

Interestingly, last night I had a a conversation with a really, really cute, self-described Star Wars fangirl at a brewery I stopped because she was so impressed with my geek level over the Star Wars growler carrier my wife made for me. Her attentiveness made sure the offending terms were anything but offensive. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 3  

So, my plea: if I cannot work a sweeping change across Fandom*, can we at least eradicate the word here in the JBF? At least when referring to ourselves? Pretty please?

~~~~~~~~~~~
I agree I'm not now nor have I ever been a fan of "fanboy" from the moment I heard it.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 4  

"Past experience has taught me that the very fact I don't
like this term will inspire some losers to use it to
describe themselves."

This would not surprise me in the least. I'm amazed at
the little passive-aggressive shots and jibes that crop
up here and there in the forum, from quarters that I'd
not have expected them.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 5  

I've never really cared for the term either. I've never used it to refer to myself and so far as I recall, have very rarely used it at all.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 6  

Never liked the term in the least. Using Brian's story as a springboard,
the term Fangirl has really taken off with the rising female audience in
popculture.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 7  

My issue with "fanboy" or even "comic book geek" or
"sci-fi nerd" or what have you is that there are no
corresponding terms for other interests -- even the
businessman who pays what would amount to an average
person's annual salary for Super Bowl tickets is not
summed up in a derisive nickname in a newspaper article,
but you can bet that the cosplayers at a convention are.

It makes no sense to me that I'd "earn" such a label
because I have an extensive collection and knowledge of
comic books, but if there's a label for my equally
extensive knowledge of theatre or jazz it is "urbane" or
"cultured."

I was at a fundraiser for a local theatre last weekend
and the MC spoke at length about the importance of
literacy (the theatre adapts books to the stage). He
even went so far as to praise Harry Potter for
encouraging kids to read but in the same breath insulted
comic book movies (not for the reasons I've knocked
comic book movies but basically because they were based
on inferior subject matter).

Of course, I don't see a compelling difference between
HARRY POTTER or Lee/Ditko Spider-Man or JB's FF and so
on.

Unfortunately, comics are still viewed as a social and
intellectual vice -- shorthand for not just a "dumb"
person but an emotionally stunted one.

But there is a non-shameful value in the art form -- the
all-ages stories about "good and evil" told through
gorgeous art work.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 8  

I'm guilty of referring to myself as a sci fi geek.

Brian J Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 9  

Is it guilt or pride? Words only have power if you let others have it. I'm proud of my interests and love of them. If there is a term I dislike, its "civilian," as if they have no interest or knowledge or even right to like or have an opinion something.  Nothing denigrates a segment of pop culture like exclusion. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 10  

If there is a term I dislike, its "civilian," as if they have no interest or knowledge or even right to like or have an opinion something. Nothing denigrates a segment of pop culture like exclusion.

•••

"Civilian," outside its obvious military use, originates in the world of business, not "pop culture." "Our new manager is a complete civilian. I hope he learns the ropes fast!"

It is not intended to exclude, merely to define. No different, ultimately, from "fan." Just the other end of the spectrum.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

"Nerd" and "geek"...and probably "fanboy" are synonymous with not only certain enthusiasms, but also social ineptitude and even physical shortcomings...usually underweight, overweight, or other ways that may be culturally deficient. I think "nerd" also usually indicates a high level of intelligence (which seems to be in opposition of the notion that the material is somehow apt for the intellectually challenged).

Personally, I've never been a big reader of novels. I guess my imagination is limited in some way that I can't picture things very well by verbal description. Whether that drew me to comics or reading comics gave me a visual "crutch" to where I didn't fully develop that ability, I don't know.

That said, from first grade up through high school, I was classifed as an "advanced" reader (and writer), several levels above that of the grade. I chalk a lot of that up to reading comics. The idea of overly-muscled men (usually) in bright colored outfits getting into brawls with each other may seem simplistic and juvenile on the face of it, but some of the vocabulary, dialogue, and concepts were anything but.

But, yes, there is still a stigma attached to comics. Maybe less so with the popularity of the superhero movies of the last decade and a half, but still extant.

And yes, you can still wear a football jersey with less derision than if you wear a shirt with Spider-Man on it...because, as stated above, comics involve large, muscular men with colorful clothing trying to best each other with their physical abilities and strategy, whereas football involves....oh, wait...

But, no matter how much one is into sports, you'd rarely be called a "nerd" or "geek" over it. Or "fanboy"...

I've referred to myself as a "nerd", but usually in a kind of sarcastic way. I enjoy things that others may feel are "nerdy"...but I don't feel like a nerd for enjoying them. To me, there are no guilty pleasures. If you like it, and it's not hurting anyone else, there should be no shame.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 12 March 2015 at 1:23pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2015 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

The idea of overly-muscled men (usually) in bright colored outfits getting into brawls with each other may seem simplistic and juvenile on the face of it, but some of the vocabulary, dialogue, and concepts were anything but.

••

At age six I was able to use the word "invulnerable" correctly, thanks to comics. By 11 I could do the same with "inexorably," same source.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version