Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: The MARVEL UNIVERSE Is Ending (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 8:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I can't see them doing a full reboot. They've said that this has been planned out for a long time (unlike DC's New 52, with the reboot tacked onto the end of Flashpoint at the last minute) - so why bother establishing new parentage for Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, and launching titles like Uncanny Inhumans, Ant-Man, Silk etc if it's all going to be thrown away about 4 months later?
Back to Top profile | search

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

"We now know that the Marvel Universe, post-Secret Wars, will be an all new world combining elements not just of the Ultimate Universe and the mainstream Marvel Universe, but possibly bits and pieces of other worlds as well under the moniker of "All-New Marvel." "

-----

It rather sounds like they're going out of their way to make the Marvel Universe more confusing and random than ever. I don't see any indication that they have plans to streamline anything.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 3  

Robert, you could well be right! I may not know those characters well enough to recognize them. Obnoxio is in the upper right hand corner of the picture, an upshot of his face...

Has the Nu52 pinned down the number of parallel universes? That's unfortunate if true. I thought I remembered reading that the "52 realities, that's all" limit was one of the first things to go in this latest reboot. Ah, well...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

This news may not matter much to everyone here who gave up on the Marvel Universe years ago, but I was enjoying at least ten books regularly and this news just depresses me.

They're announcing it not so much as a reboot (which I could almost handle) but more of a CRISIS-type merger. They're merging the Marvel Universe with the Ultimate Universe? Is that something ANYBODY wanted?

Are they going to throw away 50 years of continuity just to give us a Nick Fury that looks like Samuel Jackson? There's nothing in the Ultimate Universe that I want in the main universe! Are they going to put Peter Parker back in high school? How is that going to work--isn't he dead in the Ultimate Universe? And they say they can bring back Gwen if they want--isn't she dead in BOTH universes?

Having suffered through 30 years of building confusion and artificial history at the post-CRISIS DC, I REALLY don't look forward to going through the same thing with Marvel.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Ultimate Universe has been crashing and burning for ten years now, with one big kill-everybody crossover after another.  Mile Morales is a fun character, but a massive crossover mini-series that blows everything up for the sake of bringing him into the main Marvel Universe feels like it's literally overkill.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 6  

Reading a couple of "who's who" articles about that Alex Ross covers has proven that my initial take, that certain realities were being left out, was incorrect. The Iron Avengers that I identified as being from What If #3 are also Earth X characters, where Ross and Leon incorporated them into their storyline. There's also a Marvel Noir Iron Man, a Mangaverse Captain America, and Thor's son from a Dan Jurgens penned mini-series. The Black Panther character that could have been from the Mangaverse OR Earth-X seems now to have originated in the MC- 2 line. The fellow that he's fighting is apparently Red Wolf from Bob Layton's second Hercules mini-series. That one was driving me nuts. I knew that I'd seen somewhere... :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

My dream scenario is with this Marvel reboot the first news we hear is John Byrne was hired as Editor in Chief.

•••

Not a job I have EVER wanted. (No, not even with a death ray.)

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

I wish I could find the specific interview to link it here, but it's been lost amid all the recent news. Several years back, Joe Quesada said that when the Marvel Universe crossed over with the Ultimate Universe, that would mean they were all out of ideas.

I guess this tells us everything we need to know...

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

If I was editor and chief, I'd only publish the Marvel Masterworks and Marvel Omnibus editions from days past and forget any new material.  It just doesn't work anymore. The people at the helm have forgotten what made stories readable and what actually makes a good story.  I'd reissue all the GIT (Graphic Imaging Technology) DVD's and make them a reasonable price, as opposed to the $500 they are asking for on Amazon and E Bay.  The DVD format was a terrific way to see the first 500 issues without getting a new bookshelf.  In an era where you can be employed today and unemployed tomorrow, it's a great way to read comics. without having to rent a storage unit.

Pete Carrubba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2015 at 4:05am | IP Logged | 10  

Just an excuse to mash the Ultimates in with what's left of the real Marvel so the movies will look like faithful adaptations. 

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2015 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 11  

Secret Wars (and Convergeance) is directed at who, exactly? The dwindling, aging fanbase who fondly remember these obscure characters and 'worlds'. (Obnoxio the Clown vs The X-men is actually a comic I tried back in the day, and hated it)

Maybe a new reader might be sucked in by the hoopla, but I figure trying to make sense of a story that's been planned for years would turn off said reader.

I may be insane, but I continue to believe that a streamlined line with top talent crafting easily accessible books would trump any gimmick, no matter how 'epic'.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 January 2015 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 12  

As I have mentioned before, I felt a sinking in my stomach the first time I heard the term "Marvel Universe."

When I was a kid, being introduced to Marvel, one of the things that set them distinctly apart from DC was that the stories took place HERE. There was no Metropolis in Marvel comics. No Gotham City. It was New York, a place I knew about, a place I'd seen in movies and on TV. And somehow, in the way Stan and the Gang spun those tales, I was convinced on some subliminal level that they were REAL. Especially after THIS happened:

Stan and Jack appeared in the comic! The comic itself was LICENSED from the REAL Fantastic Four! Wow!

So, yeah, a definite sinking feeling when references to the "Marvel Universe" started to appear. That wasn't HERE. It was SOMEWHERE ELSE. And it didn't feel like home anymore.

(One of Shooter's whims of iron was that he one day declared the Marvel Universe was "the world outside your window." Which indeed it was, when Stan, Jack, Steve and the rest were working on the books. But it had been a LONG time since that had been true.)

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version