Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: The MARVEL UNIVERSE Is Ending (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 1  

If the NEW Marvel Universe picks up right after X-Men The Hidden Years #22, I'm in. Ok, I can't exclude anything up to Fantastic Four #294.

Edited by Gundars Berzins on 21 January 2015 at 3:24pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

Admitting up front I was wrong about DC doing it a few years back, I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't see the gain from tossing everything when they gleefully toss what they don't feel like dealing with all the time and there are several recent developments that seem pointless if you're going to start from scratch in a few months' time (see Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's parents; the recent resurrection of Cassie Lang, etc.). Simpler to just let it lie and then do the change with the reboot.

But if they did, I don't really see all that much cause for optimism. The same people responsible for establishing Charles Xavier's "dark secrets" and sticking Wolverine and Spider-Man in the Avengers aren't the ones I'd trust to avoid such silliness in the future.   
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Didn't DC also have several recent developments that were upended
by FLASHPOINT? Sometimes the writers and artists are the last to
know.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

Here's a list of unresolved DC plotlines, including two that were scuttled by The New 52.  I'm sure there are more. 

It would be really, really easy to bring back the pre-New 52 DCU, wouldn't it?  They didn't blow anything up, didn't kill anyone off, didn't tie a big bow on the whole thing, they just had a big crazy event, then started telling stories about other versions of the DC characters.  It feels like the whole post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint DCU is just sitting on the shelf in a big box while The New 52 plays out.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yeah, but this Secret Wars thing doesn't seem to be quite as last minute as the New 52 came across and I would think that Remender was doing a high enough profile book to know this was coming for awhile. (I'd give you Cassie Lang, but that's a lead-in to launch a brand new Ant-Man series which also seems early if they're just going to reboot the universe in a few months.)

But hey, I was wrong before.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

Secret Wars--not unlike the first one--has corporate buzzwords like "marketing synergy" written all over it.  The press release namechecked Hasbro and other partners, so this really feels like something geared toward bringing in those mythical new readers, those tens of millions of people who love the Marvel Cinematic Universe but haven't checked out the comics yet.  

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 9:34pm | IP Logged | 7  

Looking at CBR's poll on the subject, it's not the most popular idea
Marvel has had.

Link
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 8  

Obnoxio The Clown is in the new "Secret Wars"? (Going by the cover by Alex Ross, shown at the link Stephen provided above.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 11:43pm | IP Logged | 9  

Yeah, but the CBR poll needs the fourth option--"I'm going to buy it anyway, no matter how much I complain about it online."

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 10  

It might have been my childhood nostalgia for the original Secret Wars, but when this was announced, I thought it might just be a big dumb event with some actual fun moments. (Much like the Spiderverse thing going on just now.) But finding out it that it is the method by which they're going to do away with the continuity of the last 50 years, (flawed as it was) has, to say the least, really soured me on it.

I remember the days when Marvel used to say that they didn't need to reboot their Universe, (like DC had) because they got it right in the first place. Changed days now I guess. It does just seem like they're sacrificing the one good element of Marvel they had, (that by and large it was one big shared history) to chase after those supposed millions of marvel cinema universe customers, whom I guess they see as just waiting for a convenient entry point.

Of course it's more likely to be the final straw in making the older fans that keep the whole sorry ship afloat, choosing it as their jumping off point. I know I exited DC with the new 52, I guess this will do the same for a lot of folks who've been following Marvel.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 6:15am | IP Logged | 11  

I've typically been buying maybe only 4 or 5 titles that Marvel produces regularly. This will likely completely wean me from buying any more. As Jason said above, it will be my jumping off point.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2015 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 12  

Matt, not just Obnoxio, but Marie Severin's Teen Hulk looks to be in there as well, along with St. George & Dr. Zero of Marvel's Shadowline, a few characters from the MC2 universe, 2099, Roy Thomas's Hyperion vs. Straczynski's, the Mangaverse's Black Panther, Giant-Man & Hawkeye from What If #3, Nightmask & Star Brand from the New Universe, and a version of Thor from a New Warriors alternate universe storyline.

Oddly, given Ross' involvement, I'm not seeing any Earth X characters. Also, no 1602, Heroes Reborn, Age of Apocalypse, or House of M characters. That doesn't mean they won't be involved, but it is strange to go so far outside the circle for Teen Hulk and Obnoxio while ignoring major, super-hyped crossover fodder.

What's really weird about that image of the formation of this new Battleworld is that the layout is a pastiche of Perez's cover for Crisis #1. How on-the-nose are they trying to be here?

Edited by Brian Hague on 22 January 2015 at 6:51am

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version