Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: After the Modern Age of Comics-- the Apocalyptic Age? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2015 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 1  

Brian, that page you posted with Spider-Man standing over Doc Ock is a
thing of beauty!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2015 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB: AKA "the 3 Day Spider-Man."

JB, I'd love to hear the story if you can share it.  I bought this issue off of a spinner rack at age 6.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2015 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 3  

Thinking back on it, ORIGINAL SIN was the title that finally broke the stranglehold I had allowed Marvel to put me in.
----------------------------------------------------
Yeah, me too Thad. Destroying classic characters like Nick Fury and the Watcher, was just the final straw for me. And of course Cap was pretty soon to follow after that. So whatever fragments of interest I had, Marvel have done a good job wiping it out. (And don't even start me on DC's new 52. Urgh!)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 January 2015 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 4  

JB: AKA "the 3 Day Spider-Man."

JB, I'd love to hear the story if you can share it. I bought this issue off of a spinner rack at age 6.

••

The writer assigned to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN left rather abruptly. Roger Stern, checking vouchers for completed issues, as was part of his job in those days, could not find a title listed for AS-M 206, the one that was supposed to be going to the printers next. He checked around, and found there was to title because there was no issue! Nothing at all had been done!

There was a panicked conference, and I got a call. "Can you draw an issue [17 pages, back then] in three days?" I said I could, if it was tight breakdowns. This was on a Thursday. Roger wrote a plot overnight and the next morning read it to me over the phone. I finished penciling on Sunday night, and mailed the pages to Marvel on Monday morning.*

I often point to this issue when some idiot says my work looks "rushed." In thirty-five years, that complaint has yet to be leveled against 206, a true rush job!

________

* Marvel being Marvel, the pages then sat on Shooter's desk for three weeks while they found an inker! The book still came out on time, tho!

(This is particularly comical, since Frank Miller had suggested that instead of tight breakdowns, I do my usual tight pencils, and they skip inking and shoot straight from those. Shooter declared there was "no time" to wait for the week full pencils would have taken me.)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2015 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 5  

I'll take that "rush job" any day.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't think I've ever read that issue!

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2015 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 7  

Neither have I.

JB, you and Roger have such a good rapport. If you guys should ever work together again, do you think you could draw a "3 Day" comic?

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 8  

Do I want to go grab the 10lb Omnibus of Roger Stern's Spider-Man just to read that issue again?

Yeah. Yeah I do. Damnit.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 9  

I read that!  It would have been part of my little brother's subscription.

That pushes my earliest encounter with Byrne before the Dark Phoenix Saga TPB handed me by a shipmate in '86!

Still remember a neat three-in-one panel of Spider-Man picking up a table, swinging it around, and smashing some equipment, while...

JJJ unplugged a piece of equipment no more dangerous than a copier, the caption box informs us, although you'll never convince Jonah of it!

Edited by Jack Bohn on 19 January 2015 at 10:00am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 10  

This is the Dark Age of superhero comics.

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 11  

JB, thanks for sharing that story.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 12  

Don Zomberg wrote:
Another customer came along and gave it two stars, to counter my "inaccurate" rating because he felt nothing special or interesting happens to Peter Parker in those issues.

If that's the judgement of what makes a story good these days, I'm kind of glad that I didn't stay with DC after JB left, and stayed away from (most) Marvels after the "Decimation" deal of 2004. Peter already has an interesting life, trying to balance his Spider-Man career with getting enough paid jobs going to keep up with his rent, his payments for Aunt May's health care, and worrying about what might happen if word gets out that he is Spider-Man (especially if one of the more vengeful villains that he's fought decides to take a whack at him through his friends and family). I guess the kids these days are too busy shooting up things in their video games to consider how to actually sit back and read something.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version