Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Q4JB: Batman vs. Spider-Man - Who wins? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

This question arose in the barbershop this weekend.  Who would win in a fight between Batman and Spider-Man?  Most who weighed in felt that it would be Spider-Man, no question.  Honestly, I couldn't declare a winner as quickly and confidently (or at all, really) as the others.

Now, I admit, Spider-Man has spider-strength, spider-speed, spider-reflexes, spider-sense and his webbing (and he's smart).

But we shouldn't discount that Batman would have more experience, possibly be a better strategist, and all the gadgets in his utility belt.

Who do you think would win, JB, and why?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd give it to Batman. Greater range of experience.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the response, JB.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB: I'd give it to Batman. Greater range of experience.

SER: I think we might have discussed this previously, but what do you think of the idea -- as stated in recent comics -- that Spider-Man has been active for more than a decade Marvel-time?

I personally think he should always be perpetually within his first year or two of experience (so eternally a high school student). It would justify most of his character traits.

And it just feels right that Batman would be someone with years of experience under his belt and Spider-Man the eternal rookie.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think we might have discussed this previously, but what do you think of the idea -- as stated in recent comics -- that Spider-Man has been active for more than a decade Marvel-time?

•••

Dumb.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 8:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

In my mind, as I considered this question, I was very much picturing Spider-Man as a high school age teenager; and Batman as an adult in his VERY late 20s.  And I felt that that age difference definitely factored into the question.  At one point, as almost everyone else was telling me Spider-Man would win, I said, "You have to remember, he has all these powers, but he's a teenager."  At least no one challenged me on the age assumption (at least not to my face).

Edited to add:  I mean, a 29 year-old Spider-Man* vs. a 29 year-old Batman may be a substantially different question.

*if such a thing is even possible.

Edited by Josh Goldberg on 12 January 2015 at 8:58pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 7  

If Spider-Man is a teenager (as he should be) and Batman is anywhere
from 29-35, then the webslinger takes a loss.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

My son Blake posed this question to me last week. He said Spider-Man would win with his spider-sense being the major factor.
I reminded him that Spider-Man was just a kid and that Batman's tactical prowess may give him the edge. 

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2015 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 9  

Spider-Man is very much about potential. When he first meets the FF,
the Thing says, "if he's so strong *now*..." The notion being that he
might possibly surpass the Thing as an adult. And who knows what
scientific wonders he might deliver when he's an adult,

But if he's an adult but essentially the same as he was when he started
out, it becomes disappointing.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2015 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 10  

Wasn't Spidey already getting to be pretty experienced by the end of Steve Ditko's run?  He still had problems (and always will) balancing his responsibilities as Spider-Man with his responsibilities as Peter Parker, but the guy behind the mask in Amazing Spider-Man #38 was a lot better at his job than the guy we saw in Amazing Spider-Man #1.  He may not be the world's greatest detective, but hasn't it been 50 years (real time, probably at least a few in comic book time) since he's really been inexperienced? 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2015 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 11  

Those are those who still wish for 'The Amazing Spider-Teen', and those who want to cling to the 'Batman and Superman are 29' idea.
I say make Peter no older than 21...and leave him on track to graduate 'next year'...the college equivalent of Archie Andrews.
Peter schlepping his way through grad school. in the late '70s..quitting grad school in the mid-80s...and going back to grad school in the '90s..was all a mistake. We should see Peter in grad school when we see Archie there...never. Got it?

And yeah, it's OK for Batman to be over 30. He HAS to be to fit all those damn Robin wannabes into continuity, unless Bruce was about the same age Peter was when he began his career..which would make Dick a 5-year-old orphaned circus performer when they met!
Bruce  can be in his 20s if you want to go back to Dick Grayson, circa his early teens, being the 'one and only' Robin. 

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2015 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Batman, a version at the top of his game, is in his 40s

In any version of events -- Bruce Wayne would have been at least 20 before embarking on any global journey of learning and discovery --- and it would take him a good 10 years to master the numerous skills and knowledge he acquired while traveling -- so he's at least 30 before he hits the streets as a young Batman -- whom would make mistake after mistake.

To be the near flawless version of Batman who thinks multiple moves ahead of his opponent and has a time tested network on the streets of Gotham as well as the required hours of fighting/defeating enemies willing to kill him -- another 10 years is nothing.  Just look at any seasoned cop or soldier -- these guys are barely in their prime after 10 years on the job.

I addition, Batman is so confident in his abilities and skills, he's willing to take on an apprentice in Robin.  So allowing 10 years as solo Batman seems logical.

Then we have Spider-Man -- whom I like best as College-age Peter Parker.

He was a junior or senior in Highschool when he got his powers, and that's a great setting for establishing the basis for his guilt over being foolish with his power and losing his Uncle Ben -- he was a kid -- but Spider-Man is about "responsibility" -- and as a young adult in college, struggling with bills and tuition and girls and social life, etc etc --- while keeping the streets safe at night as Spidey....that's the version I like the best -- so Spider-Man, to me, is 21 - 22 years old.  Spider-Man is always in a learning curve of his powers and abilities, just like Peter Parker is in a learning curve of life.

All that taken into account -- I think Spider-Man beats Batman if they're just suddenly grabbed and tossed into Thunderdome.   I think it's more Spider-Man's character to reach down deep and pull out a win, where as Batman is more the "retreat, return and conquer" type.

In any sort of pre-planned meeting or encounter, Batman wins.  Even a long drawn out encounter where Batman has time to think.  But just a throw down battle -- Spider-Man wins.

I guess, some of this also comes from my thinking of Batman as "the world's greatest detective" - he's a thinker and a strategist who can also kick the crap out of you - while Spider-Man is just that guy who will never let anyone down ever again.

Edited by Geoffrey Langford on 13 January 2015 at 5:20am

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version