Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Terrorist Attacks in Paris (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

I think both sides come out of that FOX interview looking like tools.

The interviewer professes to want the audience to hear what the guy has to say, but in practice is too busy trying to put words into the guys mouth instead of giving him enough rope to hang himself.

INTERVIEWER: Ostensibly when you take away everybody's freedom of choice, and demand that they think like you do, and practise the way that you do, you've taken away freedom of thought, OK, last question...

INTERVIEWEE: But we're not calling for that though, are we Sean? You can become a Muslim if you wish, you can remain a Christian or Jew, you can live under the Sharia, this is what we're saying

INTERVIEWER: [talking over the top of him] Either convert or die. Convert or die basically.

Which is exactly what he said, isn't it?

And then to further cover himself in glory, the interviewer bizarrely says that the people water-boarded by the CIA deserved it! There were only three, but they all deserved it!

He's there trying to argue in favour of the first amendment whilst openly pissing on the eighth amendment by defending torture.

The interviewee's views were so self-evidently bonkers that there was no need to do anything except let they guy talk.

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 January 2015 at 12:28pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

Allah is great enough* to defend Muhammad by himself... understood?

True.

Surely if a person (of any faith) believers their "god" is omnipotent, then the logical step to take would be to say, "My god is omnipotent and doesn't care about insults. So I will leave him or it to deal with the infidels."

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

Umm...I was just reading about Muslims who are condemning the attacks. It's strange that when a Christian commits a crime we don't DEMAND all Christians immediately condemn such action.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 4  

Surely if a person (of any faith) believers their "god" is omnipotent, then the logical step to take would be to say, "My god is omnipotent and doesn't care about insults. So I will leave him or it to deal with the infidels." 
-------------------------------------------
Logic comes into religion?

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

I can only assume that the millions of moderate Muslims
will once again hit the streets to protest this latest
affront to their religion. I await their protest marches
to the nearest radical mosque.

Does *any* religion or nation do this? Even on a smaller
scale, I saw moderate Christians expressing a difference
of opinion toward those who fight against same-sex
marriage or the teaching of evolution in schools or
health carriers covering birth control, but I rarely see
them joining protests in large numbers. Or even voting
against those politicians who support the extreme
positions. It is essentially endorsement through
passivity.

Though I do agree with the larger point: If you
associate yourself with a belief system or a flag, you
should feel some obligation to fighting the more extreme
elements. More than that, you should be on the front
line.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

Even on a smaller
scale, I saw moderate Christians expressing a difference
of opinion toward those who fight against same-sex
marriage or the teaching of evolution in schools or
health carriers covering birth control, but I rarely see
them joining protests in large numbers.

There is no equivalence between what you site here, and the violent acts of the militant Islamist.  Therefore, no impetus for large scale protest presents.  Odd that you should make the comparison. 
Perhaps a better comparison could be made with the violent acts directed by Chirstians, toward abortion providers-- but even those are extremely rare in occurrence, and when perpetrated, are instantly condemned by virtually all of Christendom with unified voice.  So in answer to your first question, yes.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 7  

Response from Muslims:

http://www.onislam.net/english/shariah/special-coverage/4816 53-paris-attack-charlie-hebdo-terrorist-cartoon.html

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

Do not believe it. The Muslim religion is extremist, Muslim tolerance is a myth. I saw this interesting video on the subject showing that while Islamists are against some of the atrocities done in the name of religion, they are in favor of other absurd atrocities, as bad as those committed by so-called "radical". Example, the death penalty for those who leave the Muslim religion, death by stoning for women who have had extramarital relationship and so on have very high rates of approval of Islam followers. The DNA of the Muslim religion is crooked and will continue to produce extremists while we watch passively.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 9  

It's strange that when a Christian commits a crime we don't DEMAND all Christians immediately condemn such action.
--------------------------------------
I don't know of a Christian group that hasn't come out publically to distance themselves from Westboro Baptist, for example. When they came to my town, all the local Christian clergy got together with the rabbis, the local imam, and all other interested parties and staged an anti-hate counter-protest.

But lets not be precious here...I don't see a lot of Reform Jews or Quakers committing atrocities like this and neither do you. When every few weeks brings yet another story of your co-religionists engaging in acts of murder and depravity against innocent people, yes, if you don't want to leave the religion or be tarred with the same brush, you need to be vocal about denouncing the offenders.

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 10  

Steven Myers, HERE is a working link to the text you posted. Yet, not sufficient IMO. 

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

And the text below that there is no such thing as "tolerance". The author makes a rationalization and demonstrates that his regret for the actions are less related with the action itself, but rather with the consequence for his fellows.

Reproduced here:

Dr. Yasir Qadhi: All of Us Will Suffer

"Loving the Prophet (salla Allah alayhi wa sallam) is a necessary requirement of Iman. Defending his honor is a sign of belief. This is done by following his teachings and practice, not by murdering in his name.

Our Prophet was verbally abused and physically harrased multiple times in Makkah. Never ONCE did any of the Companions go and murder those who did such deeds.

Do those who kill others in the name of the Prophet believe that they love him more than the companions?

And even for those who believe that the penalty for blasphemy should be death: by unanimous consensus of ALL the scholars of Islam, this must take place after a legitimate trial, by a qualified judge, appointed by a legitimate Islamic state. Under NO circumstances does Islam allow vigilante justice, for to open this door leads to chaos, confusion and bloodshed.

Muslims: get your act together!! Such acts of terror are not only haram and spill innocent blood, they will come back to harm you and your communities in the short and long run.

And as a result, all of us will suffer."

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

I am saddened and angered by this cowardly attack. This makes me want to depict Muhammad in a satirical way in my comic book now. I have refrained from this type of imagery in the past. Now I wish to stand defiant against these cowards.   

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version