Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Terrorist Attacks in Paris (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

RIP to those lost today.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

When I first saw this image, I realized, for the first time, how complete a victory the west won in the cold war. 
---------------------------
For years after the collapse of the Soviet Union collapsed it seemed like the west had won a permanent victory.... But Russia is back on its feet, and things are looking worryingly closer to the cold war again. Russia grabbed the Crimea back from the Ukraine while the west watched. Russia arms rebels in the east of Ukraine in retaliation for the Ukraine trying to move closer politically to the west and sanctions are the best we can do. The Russian airforce are regularly testing the patience of NATO by flyovers to the edge of its airspace.

As for Islam, what defeat are they seeking to avoid by striking targets in France? My worry with (funadmentalist) Islam is not so much that it retains its power in its current strongholds (though I do have major issues with the lack of human rights in some of these places), but in its relentless efforts to (a) expand and (b) its lack of tolerance for any opposing systems.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

Condolences, of course.

I am being selfish now, but not sure how much more horrible news I can take. Of course, it's not about me, but this is so wrong. So awful. Seems to have been nothing but death and destruction in the news from just before Xmas to now.

I know those mourning will be strong, though.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 4  

Time to read "Holy Terror" again.

•••

Please tell me you're joking.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

I've found myself rather emotional over this event. Artists being killed! I feel sick about this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sickened, saddened, angered.  Amazing there isn't a word for the combined emotion.  It's far too common.

My condolences to the people of France.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2015 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

This is completely ridiculous , and gets me even angrier knowing there are like minded individuals out there pumping there fists and praising whoever like this is some grand victory,
My condolences to the families. 

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 12:00am | IP Logged | 8  

Please tell me you're joking.

---

Fit of anger maybe ? I am so tired about Islam and all their demands my patience is wearing thin. I have witnessed several "religious fights" in subways in the past weeks, and even been called a racist by a woman wearing a full scarf because I sneezed when she was passing me (I had a cold, my bad !). 

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 9  

As for Islam, what defeat are they seeking to avoid by striking targets in France?

That's a good question, Peter.  As a whole, the Islamist movement seems to be working two primary goals.  To expel, in the short to medium term, western influence from Islamist dominated territory, and to convert, in the long term, non-Muslim territory into Islamist dominated territory so that western values can never again threaten their unreformed religion.  They seek this because it's clear to even the most untrained eye that the walls of their values are surrounded, outdated and leaking, and they seek desperatly to avoid a full scale breach-- over here Les Revenats springs in through the cracks, over there Ross Geller bubbles up from the drains, across the way free women crash in waves over the ramparts and soon, behind their own walls, free people will choose to worship as they may, or not at all.  And as incomprehensible as it may seem to us, that is what they seek to avoid, because in the global marketplace of ideas, where people are free to choose their own destiny, their ideas can not compete with ours.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 10  

As for Islam, what defeat are they seeking to avoid by striking targets in France?
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------
France's involvement in African countries like Nigeria?

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:14am | IP Logged | 11  

Yes, a sad day for freedom of speech.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2015 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12  

The biggest concern that I have with this incident is that no one is safe from Islamist terror. Not Left, not Right... nobody.

Until we finally wake up to the possibility that we may have to make some very hard and (in retrospect) dubious choices about how to deal with those who will not live and let live, we are going to see more Charlie Hebdos, more Cabus. It's time to treat the radicals and extremists like the threat they pose to human rights and civil discourse that they are.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version