Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Terrorist Attacks in Paris (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1  

A cartoon by Cabu "Le Chateau du parking "Parking's Castle" [and not "Castle's parking"])

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 19 January 2015 at 12:02pm
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

I read in the Shanghai Daily that 800,000 Muslims in Chechnya protested the latest cover of Charlie Hebdo. Strange that they can't get out 800,000 moderate Muslims to protest the radical elements of their religion.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 3  

It's kind of fascinating and sad to see so many people banding together against something taking place OUT OF THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 4  

Muslims may claim they all denounce terror. But I've never heard any of them say, "you know that part in the Koran where the penalty for satirising Mohammed is death .. that's wrong." 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 20 January 2015 at 2:19am

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 5  

Muslims may claim they all denounce terror. But I've never heard any of them say, "you know that part in the Koran where the penalty for satirising Mohammed is death .. that's wrong."
--

Blasphemy is also a capital offence in the Bible, among countless others. Do you hear a lot of Christians saying that the Bible is wrong?

Edited by Petter Myhr Ness on 20 January 2015 at 3:22am

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 6  

"Blasphemy is also a capital offence in the Bible, among countless others. Do you hear a lot of Christians saying that the Bible is wrong"

Are those Christians, right now, in the 21st Century, actually killing anyone for blasphemy? Are there any Christian leaders calling for blasphemers, unbelievers, and apostates to be executed? Are there any Christian countries with blasphemers sitting on death row?

Can you seriously tell me that you would be just as, if not more, afraid to stand in front of a Christian church in the deepest part of the Bible Belt shouting, "#@&$ Jesus" repeatedly at the top of your lungs than you would be to shout the same about Mohammad in front of a Mosque in Saudi Arabia?

In this context, actions speak far louder than words.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 7  

How can it be blasphemy if it is NOT in the book ?

If killing people for satirising Mohammed is not what the Koran is about, then doing so IS blasphemy, right ?

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 8  

Al Nadr ibn al-Harith was a contemporary critic of Muhammad's. He was captured and executed by Muhammad. 

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 9  

"Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated of nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing - with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" fighting it out for the second and third place. "
-Robert A. Heinlein

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh"
-Robert A. Heinlein

I find it depressing that so many human beings can be so deluded even after all this time. Fucking invisible man living in outer space or something and billions still believe this crap.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 10  

Can you seriously tell me that you would be just as, if not more, afraid to stand in front of a Christian church in the deepest part of the Bible Belt shouting, "#@&$ Jesus" repeatedly at the top of your lungs than you would be to shout the same about Mohammad in front of a Mosque in Saudi Arabia?
--

Try a more comperative country for that analogy to work. Try a mosque in the USA, for example. In that case, I'd be equally afraid of getting my ass kicked.

Saudi Arabia is home of one the darkest, most repressive regimes in the world. Islam is one of several tools for the systemativ oppression that goes on in that country. Just like ANY religion can be given the right circumstances, which is my entire point. When Christians critisise Muslims for what's written in their holy book, they're introducing Mr. Pot to Mr. Kettle.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 11  

"Of all the strange "crimes" that human beings have legislated of nothing, "blasphemy" is the most amazing - with "obscenity" and "indecent exposure" fighting it out for the second and third place. "
-Robert A. Heinlein

"One man's theology is another man's belly laugh"
-Robert A. Heinlein

I find it depressing that so many human beings can be so deluded even after all this time. Fucking invisible man living in outer space or something and billions still believe this crap.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2015 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 12  

We don't need to look further than Charlie Hebdo. What was the
aftermath of the magazine satirizing Christianity and religions other
than Islam?

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version