Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q about Psylocke (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

After the X-Men 'died' and went to Australia, they had a mystical artifact doodad called the 'Siege Perilous'. The Reavers came and attacked their outback base, and basically long story short, all of the X-men went through the doodad to escape. The doodad mystically warped time and space and placed the various X-Men in various parts of the globe with new identities and whole new sets of memories.

Betsy had been the one carrying the doohickey around, and when she went through it did something wonkey with her telepathic powers. She got deposited in Hong Kong, but in an Asian Hand assassin's body, meanwhile the assassin's brain ended up in her body.

Long story short the X-Men were eventually re-assembled and got their original memories back, but Betsy was still in the wrong body.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 2  

I wonder if that was a Claremont-driven or Lee-driven change.  Writers seem to have trouble figuring out what to do with the characters who have more passive powers, so they often get killed off or get radical power upgrades to the point that they're almost brand-new characters. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

I was always convinced that Asian Psylocke's origins began when someone muttered the words…"cool ass drawing Jim!  She Asian or something?"

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

I always assumed it was some form of forced diversity by management. Affirmative Action for super heroes, eh?

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 23 December 2014 at 5:56pm

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Japanese Marvel fans went nuts over her.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

I only knew Psylocke as an Asian, having met her that way, and when I learned she was Captain Britain's full sister (not half, step, or adopted) I was confused as Hell. 

Then I learned her 'origin' and wondered how someone could have come up with something so stupid. Keep in mind, I was about 13 and close to giving up comics for the first time entirely, so a lot of things were bugging me (like how Marvel at the time told me Peter Parker, who I'd know as Spider-Man since before I could read, wasn't really Spider-Man, and some guy named Ben Reilly was, even though he hadn't been around since before I was born). 

Anyway, onwards and upwards. Marvel and DC are in my past, and there are many great comics to read that aren't written by committees full of morons. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder if that was a Claremont-driven or Lee-driven change. 

-----
The change was made before Lee was regular artist on any of the X-books. He did draw the arc where she changed but it was as a fill-in artist, he wouldn't take over the book for another year or more after that. It's possible he kept her that way or liked the change - it certainly made the character more dynamic in fight scenes. The story involving the original body and Revanche was done after Claremont and Lee had left the X-Books entirely. I think Fabian Nicieza wrote it. 

Edited by John Popa on 23 December 2014 at 6:37pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

The change was made before Lee was regular artist on any of the X-books.

I don't think of that arc as a fill-in so much as confirmation that Lee would be able to work with Claremont as the regular artist.  The seven or so issues after Acts of Vengeance were by a series of fill-in artists, and Lee did multiple covers from #248 to #265.  Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least a few phone calls between Claremont and Lee prior to that story arc, at least confirming which characters Lee would like to draw.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Visually, post-transformation Psylocke owes a great deal to Elektra, who was being hokey-pokeyed back and forth across the line of death a great deal at the time the change occurred. I wonder if there wasn't some push to have a full-time, not-dead, not-beholden-to-Miller version of Elektra in the X-Men, complete with ties to the Hand. 

I wonder if such an idea was suggested and Claremont, always unwilling to let go of a character in whom he's invested, said, "Great idea! And I know exactly which character we can turn into this new Elektra!"

Of course, by then Betsy Braddock was already involved in the reality-altering plans of Roma and Merlin, her insane brother, Jamie, and was an unwitting cyber-spy for Mojo. Why not tie her in with the Hand as well? And the Shadow King. And the new Hellfire Club.

What? It's just comics. Comics are like this.

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

At the time I thought it seemed like Jim Lee just wanted to draw Elektra.
I much prefer the Caucasian Psylocke, especially the few
Claremont/Davis issues of X-Men.
Edited to add that I did enjoy the X-Men Acts Of Vengence arc. That
vintage of Lee's art is my favorite, I don't know if I can articulate why.
It's much more interesting to me than what would come later.

Edited by Robert LaGuardia on 23 December 2014 at 8:20pm

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 11  

Chalk me up in the liking the original, British Psylocke. I never cared for her Asian version.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Jim Lee's art early on was very much a rough mixture of his influences. There's a sequence in X-Men #274 which takes place in the Savage Land. It then cuts back to a scene of Storm going off on the pathetic, love-shattered Forge in an underground lab somewhere. 

I distinctly remember turning the page and going back to check the credits to see if it were an art-jam issue. It wasn't. It's just Jim Lee, but turning that page back and forth, I kept saying, "Art Adams. Barry Windsor-Smith. Art Adams. Barry Windsor-Smith..."

The switch between the delicate, doe-eyed British beauty Psylocke in her pink suit with the diaphanous sleeves, and her kick-ass, easily 200 times as lethal Ninja Assassin self was vaguely reminiscent of Voyager's kicking Kes to the curb to bring in Seven of Nine. 

Except, if Claremont had been writing Voyager, delicate, frail little Kes would have been assimilated by the Borg, had her mind raped, and come back infinitely more powerful, ready to kick some serious ass, fed up now to here with all the weak-sister, heel-dragging, thumb-sucking men who kept getting in the way what needed to be done! Kes, in her new Borg suit, and Janeway with a blaster... That's all it would have taken to bring down the Collective... 

Assuming that bringing down the Collective was ever going to be a thing to do. No one ever felt that bringing down Mojo's TV network was a thing to do. Or the Hellfire Club. Or anyone, really. 

Apparently, in a Claremont script, evil has just as much, if not more right to exist on its own terms than good does. It's all the heroes can do to stay true to their own inner selves and not allow evil to seduce them with its endless offerings of their "heart's desire" in a thousand and one alluring forms, each more seductive than the last. And hey, if you do cave in, go all evil-grinning happy and what not, don't sweat it. If there's seven of you, six can sell out, and that last one will save your tuchas in the end. Usually it's Wolverine.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version