Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Known Secrets In Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 1  

I think it's a lot more interesting to have a mutant as the offspring of a "normal" family than as part of some convoluted storyline that makes them the son of a "space pirate" or a shape-shifter.  Having them as growing up in a "normal family" and then having their powers manifest themselves at adolescence humanizes them somewhat IMO.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 2  

I think it's a lot more interesting to have a mutant as the offspring of a "normal" family than as part of some convoluted storyline that makes them the son of a "space pirate" or a shape-shifter. Having them as growing up in a "normal family" and then having their powers manifest themselves at adolescence humanizes them somewhat IMO.

••

It takes a tremendous amount of will power not to wander off down those pathways, especially when a writer has been working with the same characters for a long time. The urge to burrow, to unearth more and more layers, is a tough one to resist, and pretty soon we end up with the kinds of inbred stories that are all over superhero comics these days.

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 3  

Let's see...

* Peter Parker's parents were secretly government spies, who were
killed by the Red Skull.

* Brian Banner worked at on nuclear tests Los Alamos, which led him to
think that radiation damaged his genes, and made his son a mutant
genius.

* Howard Stark hung out with Nick Fury, Nathaniel Richards, and the
Watcher, and was targeted for death by the likes of the Red Skull.

* Nathaniel Richards' time-travel experiment sent him to an alternate
universe.

Christopher Summers and his wife were kidnapped by aliens, and he
later became a space pirate.

Yeah, not a lot of typical parents with typical occupations, there!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4  

Nathaniel Richards' time-travel experiment sent him to an alternate universe.

••

Mea culpa! Mea culpa!

Sometimes we have to make mistakes in order to learn they ARE mistakes!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 5  

And then there's Thomas Wayne going to see Jor-El on Krypton and discussing Earth as a suitable place to send baby Kal-El... sigh.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 6  

Peter - We have a winner!!!

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 7  

Peter Parker's parents being spies was one of the first instances of this that I can remember (Amazing Spider-Man Annual #5 from 1968).

Roy Thomas had his share of them, including the aforementioned Whizzer + Miss America = Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (Giant-Size Avengers #1 from August, 1974).  As has been discussed in these part many times, Thomas took a certain glee in connecting anything from the Golden Age that he could to the modern age (see the entire Invaders series)

And then there was Steve Englehart trying to weave everything together (the replacement Captain Americas for instance, and the original Human Torch becoming the Vision [a seed planted by Thomas], along with introducing Patsy Walker in Amazing Adventures as a supporting character for the Beast, using Walker and the 1800's Marvel western characters in the Avengers and his "Lost in Space-Time" story in West Coast Avengers which took them back in time to encounter Rama-Tut and the western characters).

Doing these sorts of things can be entertaining when done in moderation (such as Roger Stern's Doctor Strange story where he travels back in time to affect the outcome depicted in Fantastic Four #19), but  sometimes the coincidences reach beyond what even a comic book fan can accept.

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:

Wasn't this mentioned or implied in "Origin"? I can't keep track anymore

I didn't take it that way/  Not when I read the series as it came back.  I took Dog to be sort of an analogue to Sabretooth and Rose to Jean.  I remember when the ORIGINS movie came out doing some web searching to see what Paul Jenkins' intention had been.  He said it hadn't been his intention, but he didn't mind the movie making them brothers.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged | 9  

One of the crazy things about the Torch/Vision "mash up" is that even after I proved it didn't work based on previously published material, some insisted on making it still so by adding even MORE hoops to jump thru!

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 10  

Peter Martin wrote:
And then there's Thomas Wayne going to see Jor-El on Krypton and discussing Earth as a suitable place to send baby Kal-El... sigh.

They really missed an opportunity by not putting Thomas Wayne in his proto-Batman suit and putting the red "S" on Jor-El's clothes, and having them team up for an adventure there on Krypton.  That's what Mort Weisinger would have done!

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 07 November 2014 at 1:59pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

Who designed Mystique? She first appeared as a Ms. Marvel adversary, didn't she?

Taavi Suhonen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2014 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Yeah, Mystique first appeared in Ms. Marvel by Claremont and Cockrum. If I recall correctly, Cockrum had already created her design in advance and when Claremont saw it, he wanted her for Ms. Marvel.

Greg Kirkman wrote:
Howard Stark hung out with Nick Fury, Nathaniel Richards, and the Watcher, and was targeted for death by the likes of the Red Skull.

Recently Marvel also established that in an effort to save his yet unborn son's life, Howard let a rogue Recorder genetically manipulate the baby to make him a super genius. And that son is not Tony, but Arno Stark. Tony is adopted and just happens to look exactly like a younger Howard.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version