Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Signature moves (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't go out of my way for signatures these days, but I did take advantage when the opportunity came up.  In his early convention days, I did get John to sign a few X-Men books (he had a limit which I respected).  Most artists/writers in the past haven't charged for their signature, but I now see that some are, which I'm not overly happy about. I'm not sure of the trend in this regard, though it certainly does limit a line-up of people bringing tons of stuff to get signed.

I did get Neal Adams to sign GL/GA #76 (he charged $10), but I knew this in advance of getting him to do it.  At cons, he does sell prints of his iconic workss and when you purchase these, he signs (and personalizes the signature at no additonal charge.

Occasionally, I do get surprises though. Last year, I brought the Spider-Man/Black Cat mini-series for Terry & Rachel Dodson to sign (alas, Rachel wasn't able to make the trip), and Terry added a headshot of the Black Cat into my artbook for no charge!  I did buy some of his art books ahead of time from him, so maybe that was adequate motivation.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

Only have a problem with pre-signed pieces if the person is
deceased or otherwise no longer physically able to sign
autographs. (Obviously, art commissions would not
count....if I could actually afford any)

I have two things signed by Richard Petty: One that came as
part of a package along with a 2 VHS tape set I got off QVC
way back when, and an item he signed in person while I was
actually talking to him. Guess which means a lot more to
me?

Edited by Brian Floyd on 08 October 2014 at 12:58pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2014 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 3  

I did get Neal Adams to sign GL/GA #76…

••

I have Neal's autograph on a Deadman sketch I watched him do while we were sitting in the break room at DC (when DC had a break room).* When he finished it, he handed it to me. "Souvenir," he said. A kindly gesture to a lowly fan!

Alas, this is the sketch I long ago tucked into one of my books for safekeeping, and have not seen since!! GRAHH!!!

_________

* While I was sitting watching Neal draw some other artists came and sat at the next table. There were about fix or six, among whom were Walt Simonson, Jim Starlin, Berni Wrightson and Mike Kaluta (if memory serves). I mentioned this chatting on the phone with Walt the other day. He made a reference to the first time he and I had met., up at the Marvel offices, and I said "That wasn't the first time!"

Aki Himmanen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 4  

I have Don Rosa's autograph on my hardcover edition of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. Waiting in line, we were instructed to write down our names on a piece of paper to make it easier for Don - Finnish names! What's so hard about them, eh? - so, for some reason I can no longer remember after 17 years, I put down my name in BIG CAPITAL LETTERS. When it was my turn, Don took a look at the name - and proceeded to sign my copy with a grin, making sure my name was there in BIG, CAPITAL, CARTOONY LETTERS. :)

With 'pre-signed' pieces, you miss out on that kind of experience.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2014 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 5  

I used to hold no truck with autograph collecting, in person or otherwise. My first time in line was for Angelique Pettyjohn when I was maybe 17 or so. She was extraordinarily engaging and talking at length with just about every fan in line, I believe. At the time, I completely failed to appreciate that, as the effect it had on the line was to render forward motion all but completely impossible. I think I was in that line for over two hours. Not being a patient person by any stretch of the imagination and less of one then, I was irritated by the whole thing and rushed through my time at the front of the line so as not to further inconvenience those still behind me. I do wish I'd had that to do over again. She really was being exceptionally nice and fun and I was a grouch.

There was another occasion when friends pulled me into an autograph line for Harlan Ellison after a lecture he'd done. I got back out of line because it was late and I was far from home with no knowledge of the bus system in that part of town. The autograph meant far less to me than finding a ride or a bus stop. Again, a little more preparation and patience on my part, and I'd have been fine, with a memory of speaking to Ellison to look back upon.

I did overcome my initial distaste for the whole autograph process to get a picture taken with Robin Curtis who was extremely kind and full of energy. Since Roger C. Carmel was right there as well and I love both of the Trek episodes he was in, I got back in line for one from him as well. Being with my friend Kathy helped the whole process.

At another convention, I was working a table in the dealer's room for the company I was with, and the boss put me in charge of taking his young daughter through the autograph lines. Again, not anything I'd planned to do, but hey, I did get autographs from Patrick Stewart and DeForrest Kelly, so that worked out really well actually.

The next year, I made a complete ass of myself entertaining Kathy's young brothers while in line. I really thought there was another entire hallway to go before the line reached Walter Koenig and Mark Lenard. Nope. I was singing and goofing around making the kids laugh, turned the corner, and wham. There they were. I still feel like an idiot.

Since then, I've had some wonderful moments of conversation here and there with celebrities like Ethan Phillips, John Noble, and especially Gary Lockwood. He was very gracious with his time. I did not ask for autographs. Not that I could have afforded them given the procedures currently in place at the local conventions, Really, I'm happy to have the ones I have, but I'm back to my original position of not really feeling the need for any new ones. 

Which is just as well, given how absolutely terrible I am at waiting in line. :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 10 October 2014 at 11:43am

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 6  

I have very few autographs but the ones I have in books and comics, I would never sell them. Chris Clairmont, Roy Thomas, Buzz Aldrin. That's it. 

It's always cool finding a used book with a signature in it, especially if it is unnoticed by the book seller. Picked up a Richard Halliburton book years ago with his signature as well as a small paragraph inside and I think I have an old copy of Astounding Science Fixtion with L. Ron. Hubbard's autograph beside one of his stories but I am not too sure of the authenticity of that one. 

Robert Ingrao
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 7  

CGC seems to have altered the signature situation a bit too - if its not a 'certified signature series' graded book from them, any signature is now a potential forgery. which i find to be utter garbage. ive got some books w sigs that i either had signed in person, or bought signed. the last two were some X-mens from an online retailer and the sigs were on the first page so i dont think they knew they were there (#97 w both claremont & cockrum) - i thought "hey! cool bonus!" but value wise it doesnt matter.  from a collectible/value standpoint i dont think signatures add value anymore and i certainly wouldnt pay more for a signed copy. if there were a signed and unsigned copy side by side to choose from for the same price id pick the signed one.  as for potential forgeries, normally id say theyre unlikely, but when i was a teen, a good friend had practiced JBs sig enough times to match it almost exactly and then 'signed' 3 copies of X-men #137 and then sold them to a local comic shop. i didnt think he'd pull it off but he did. the owner gave him $X for the 1st one, 1/2X for the 2nd and 1/4X for the 3rd, and said he suspected a forge as he paid for them. i thought it was uncool, and that theyd never work - but i had to hand it to him for proving me wrong.   ive gotten a handful of things signed by a few of my faves, and ill always remember that i met them IN PERSON.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 8  

Once, at a MidOhioCon, after I'd signed a book for a guy he asked if he could get a "Certificate of Authenticity" along with the autograph.

I cocked my best eyebrow and asked "Do you have some reason to believe I am NOT John Byrne?"

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 9  

I love getting autographs and pictures as a way of
memorializing a meeting with someone whose work I
admire. However, when it looked like I would never
meet him, I once bought a signed copy of the Art of
John Byrne, but later sold it after getting a
commission (signed for me). Since then I have
purchased a number of pages which John has signed for
me and my kids. Later still, I got to meet John and
get some other things signed for me, including a copy
of the Art of John Byrne. This one is not for sale.

Otherwise, I am not really interested in buying
autographs belonging to people I haven't met; however,
I would like to get a Gil Kane autograph one day,
since he is deceased, hopefully on a Green Lantern
sketch!

Edited by Ted Pugliese on 13 October 2014 at 11:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2014 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 10  

Since there is an exception to every rule, I bought a
signed Reggie Jackson (New York Yankees) picture. he