Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Wein/Claremont Interview (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 1  

Yet, Brevoort, Bendis, Alonzo, etc., vehemently deny this practically on a daily basis. Marvel is now a multimedia company and comics are the R&D department. If you're a fan of what made the Marvel and DC universes great, you're forced to live in the past. Thankfully, this is the Golden Age of collected editions. If it wasn't for Image and IDW, at least in the mainstream, it would truly be a sad state of affairs creatively.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 2  

But, really, how many of the mutant characters created in the past decade or so are actually any good anyway?

I stopped reading because the comics started to focus on poorly realised new characters while destroying the established characters - Prof X, Beast and Cyclops totally destroyed in favour of some really poor new character (say Vulcan) who vanishes after a short flurry of activity while the damage to the established characters remains.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 3  

I've heard that Marvel has a good working relationship with Sony, so Spider-Man is fine. 
-----------------------------------------
Disney's deal with Sony has also been re-worked to be slightly different to their other film licenses. Disney keeps 100% of merchandising related to Spider-Man, whereas with other deals, Disney has to pay a royalty back to the third-party studio.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 4  

But, really, how many of the mutant characters created in the past decade or so are actually any good anyway?

••

I'll borrow again Neal Adams' famous line: There are no bad characters, only bad writers.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Oh and boy were there bad writers during the Quesada era. I won't
name names, but one proclaimed that mutants can't get AIDS.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6  

Apparently, that applied to those who became mutants later in life, as well.  I recall the 'Professor' version of the Hulk, in the early '90s, being told his friend Jim Wilson(who has just been stabbed, and is bleeding profusely) has the disease, and Hulk rattles off, 'Don't worry, with my system, I'm immune!'

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 7  

Apparently, that applied to those who became mutants later in life, as well. I recall the 'Professor' version of the Hulk…

••

When did the Hulk become a mutant?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 8  

Apparently, that applied to those who became mutants later in life, as well.  I recall the 'Professor' version of the Hulk, in the early '90s, being told his friend Jim Wilson(who has just been stabbed, and is bleeding profusely) has the disease, and Hulk rattles off, 'Don't worry, with my system, I'mimmune!'

-----

I understand the silliness of mutants being declared immune, but why wouldn't the Hulk be immune? It had been established that no microbes can survive in his bloodstream.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

I thought with the Hulk, it was established pre-PAD that his Gamma irradiated make up was immune to all terrestrial diseases...just because.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 10  

It does go a long way towards supporting the idea that the comics now only exist from a corporate perspective as research & development proving grounds if Marvel refuses to do any more R&D work for a company that won't play ball with them and renegotiate their contract. 

Of course, Fox doesn't need any new material from Marvel to continue their franchise. And new characters on top of the hundreds of mutants already in existence would just be additional coal shipments to Newcastle. The X-Men films still have a great many untapped characters from which to choose, especially if they continue to re-imagine ones they've already done in some form or another already.

This does explain why the Next Big Thing in Marvel's X-Men comics has been the teenagers coming back to visit the grown-ups and driving Cyclops' character even further into the dirt. There is literally nothing new happening there.

And the whole corporate face-off helps underscore that we, the readers, are absolutely the last people anyone is thinking about in all of this.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version