Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 10 Next >>
Topic: DEFEATED! (With Apologies to Eric Ladd!) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

Is there any chance of the commissioner receiving the piece as is? An incomplete work like this would be an awesome addition to a collection. it reminds me of the last pages of Barry Smith's Storyteller stories. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm a child of 70s Marvel and went along with the whole Green Goblin is Spider-Man's greatest foe schpiel.
(what did I know?)

Besides Mego made a Green Goblin doll but not a Doc Ock.
I had this baby too. I loved it!

Mego Pocket Heroes, The Mangler!
(You knock GG into the mouth and a flattened image feeds out the back end.)

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 3  

I know there are a lot of well meaning sentiments in this thread, but let's not go too far with wishing. Declining this piece didn't have to be common knowledge and could have been done in private communication. But we all get a glimpse into JB's process and he gave a reason why a paucity of commissions have been posted recently. (I learned a new word!) If the piece was given to me as is I would quite respectively shread it for JB if he felt he could not do it himself.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

Perhaps, JB, you could offer the incomplete piece as "layouts" to the commissioner and he could seek out another of his fan fav artists to finish it as a collaborative piece?

•••

Why are so many fans apparently unable to accept the intrinsic value, the glimpse behind the curtain, of an unfinished piece? Pencils -- so rare!! -- show up, and an inker must be found. If the artist himself does not wish to finish a job, someone else can do it!

Depresses the heck out of me!

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 5  

Even if JB decides to not finish the piece, I think it looks great as-is. It reminds me of the partially finished sculptures Michelangelo did, where it looks like the figure is struggling to get out of the block of marble. In this case, the figures look like they're in different states of materializing on the paper.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm more surprised that JB dislikes the Green Goblin. That scores you at lest three Mighty Marvel Demerits from Stan Lee. Stuff like that stays on your fan record. 

That brilliant jest out of the way, I agree that Doctor Octopus should be Spidey's #1 villain. The Green Goblin would be a solid #2 even though he hasn't really been active since the early 70's. It strikes me now that the original Goblin was sort of like the modern homicidal Joker BEFORE the Joker was taken down that path. 

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 September 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

You definitely caught a Ditko vibe on that piece. That is the best Goblin piece I have seen in a long time. 

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 2:56am | IP Logged | 8  

Love getting to see the 'behind-the-scenes!'-Thanks John.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 9  

I love how you drew the character himself but something bugs me here, I don't know if it's related to why you don't want to finish it or not Mr Byrne. Maybe the angle could have been different so that we don't get the puff of smoke right between the Goblin's legs.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 3:10am | IP Logged | 10  

sigh

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged | 11  

Not much of Green Goblin fan myself, too. Far and away my favorite issue is where Spider-Man ends up in a cave surprised by The Hulk -- and that's why I like that issue, because of the other green fellow!

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2014 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 12  

First, I'll say thanks for sharing your feelings on the subject JB and for showing the glimpse behind the curtain.

I am surprised by the whole thing though.  You'd be the last one I would have guessed would let personal opinion get in the way of doing a job.  One of the things I've liked best about your published work over the years is taking a character and making him/her "better".  Finding something interesting about a character or something that hasn't been used about a character and making them readable. 

Wonder Man springs to mind but there are countless others.

And your work ethic and professionalism are 2nd to none.

So, it just surprises me that you can't finish a piece regardless of the character.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version