Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Must ask once again: why not just create a new character? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 1  

Got mixed feelings on this subject. DC's Silver Age rep was built on reimagining their old characters. Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman and the Atom all got that treatment. Those versions are now the ones associated with those names. Power Girl her self is a new take on Supergirl with a new name and costume. Though with the former examples, the characters had been out of print for close to a decade. With PG, she was created while Supergirl was still an active character. So there is  a precedence for this. 

On the other hand, I would like to see new non-white characters created without a connection to older creations. Sadly the track record on those isn't that great. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

It worked with James Robinson's star man, so it can work but I would prefer
to see a new character as well
Back to Top profile | search

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 3  

Didn't they just make Wally West black? A bunch of white comic creators paint old characters a new skin color, and that's all they think diversity in superhero comics means?

That's the best they can do? In the 21st century?

Plus, I don't buy the name recognition argument. cause hardly ANYTHING is selling these days, so why not try something new?

Or at least, go back to what actually WORKED in the past.

Hollywood is making money hand over fist, from the characters that are becoming copies of a copy, but it hasn't translated to actual sales for  the comic books themselves.

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

So, both another case of DC 'de-uniquing' a character, and the Big Two not being brave enough to promote a 'new' non-white/female/LGBTQ/etc. character without selling them using an existing white and/or male hero's 'brand identity'.

Puts me a bit in mind of how the Marvel Movie brand is now so strong, they can sell regular cinema-goers on an off-beat space adventure movie with a talking tree and raccoon, yet an all-Japanese team like Big Hero 6 gets effectively whitewashed, presumably to make them more 'relate-able' and easier to market to a predominantly white, Western audience.

Which raises the question: are comic readers/movie audiences really so closed-minded? Or is that just that the bods in both industries marketing these things simply assume their audiences to be closet bigots?

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

I never quite understood why, after Hal Jordan became Parallax, John Stewart didn't become THE Green Lantern. I didn't dislike Kyle Rayner but I never really got why he was introduced.

In the case of Stewart he's not really "a black version of a white character" because "Green Lantern," for everyone who isn't Alan Scott, is more like being called "Officer" than anything else. It's a job title.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Milestone was a valid attempt at something positive, but it was also set in its own world, apart from the rest of the DC Universe, in much the same way the New Gods were long thought to "off on their own somewhere." 

Since readers didn't feel the line was relevant to their central interest (keeping up with the DCU) it was easy to skip the whole lot of them. Later attempts to tie the Milestone line in more tightly were too little too late. Remember the Colorforms style cover during the Worlds Collide event? That was odd. :-)

I do wonder how Milestone might have gone with a smaller launch, more closely tied to the rest of the DC line. I'm no fan of huge, overlapping shared universes, but I'm also not the audience the companies are or should be shooting for.

The Nu52 Static Shock has been made a supporting character in the Titans now, right? In much the same way the Nu52 Mr. Terrific was made a supporting character in the Earth 2 book after his was cancelled. Well, at least they're still around, but still...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

There's going to be an animated Big Hero 6 movie this coming November.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

There's going to be an animated Big Hero 6 movie this coming November.

Unfortunately, the only thing that the movie will have with the comic is the name of the team and their code names. Other then that, everything else has been changed, including the race/ethnicity of the team members.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

So in this movie, Big Hero 6 is no longer Japanese?

What the hell is the point of THAT?

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2014 at 5:53am | IP Logged | 10  

Creating hard, copying easy.

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 11  

Didn't they just make Wally West black? A bunch of white
comic creators paint old characters a new skin color, and
that's all they think diversity in superhero comics means?

Not really the same thing.   Wally was replaced and err are
supposed to ignore the past version. Kara is still Power
Girl. She was not replaced/erased. She is still here but
she returned home.   Now Earth One had no Power Girl.   And
since Super Girl is Power Girl, they can't go the
counterpart route. So they are adding a new character,
not replacing one.

Though I wonder if there is an inside joke here. I
remember a What If? that made a joke about What if Power
Man was a Girl?

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2014 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 12  

If someone came up with a character that had the potential of Spider-Man or Batman, who in their right mind would give them to Marvel or DC? I'm not sure if the creative mentality facilitates the creation of characters like that anymore, but if one comes along, you can bet that it'll show up as a creator owned property. Hellboy and Sin City are decent examples. They haven't set the world on fire necessarily, but I doubt we'll be seeing any Marvel or DC characters not created in the 40's-60's or early 70's getting movies anytime soon. 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version