Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Jazzy! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 1  

For the past decade or more, DC has been messing with the S at every opportunity, apparently missing the point that consistency is required in order to trademark something!

Probably the reason they still use the "traditional" S for their licensing.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 2  

Does anyone know if Janson has inked Sr. before?

Not that I can think of.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 3  

While I'd much rather see John Romita (both of 'em!) working on the classic Superman costume, I love their work, and this (and Jr.'s interior art on his run so far) is one of the first times I've seen the new costume and thought that Superman was in such a hurry to save the world that he didn't finish dressing before he flew out the window. 

Sr.'s drawing looks suitably heroic, although it does bug me that the New 52 version of the "S" is off-model.  I've been able to draw a spot-on Superman logo since I was a kid, so it's really weird to see the off-kilter one as the norm in the New 52.  Makes it look like professional artists don't have a handle on it.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

That pencilled Romita (other than the gloves) is great.

Down to the flattened -bottom of the S-Shield. Also, the consistency in thickness of the S-Shield.

In the cover on the first page of the thread, Romita's S-Shield is fat on top but thin in the sides and bottom. I wouldn't have thought it possible that an artist of his caliber would do that.

I myself favor the S-Shield where the S slightly extends beyond the boundaries of the shield so it doesn't look so much like a policeman's badge.

* Edited to add that I woke up just now to the fact that's it's drawn with some sort of marker and not a pencil.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 15 August 2014 at 3:07pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

In the cover on the first page of the thread, Romita's S-Shield is fat on top but thin in the sides and bottom. I wouldn't have thought it possible that an artist of his caliber would do that.

I think it's on-model for the New 52 Superman, which means it's "right" for that version of the character.  Not a fan of the new "S," but I'm sure that Romita and Klaus Janson were drawing it the way DC wants it right now. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

I did some Superman work during the mullet days. Bad as it looked, it was worse to draw!

Once again, a bunch of middle-aged guys trying to be "hip."

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

A friend of mine recently watched a Death of Superman documentary with early '90s footage of the creative teams, and he noticed a lot of mullets and ponytails among the people working on the comics.  I guess we should feel lucky that Jim Lee isn't a tattoo guy.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 8  

Superman managed to survive the 80s when the mullet was most rife and then got saddled with one in the 90s when they were already deeply uncool. Of all the heroes for whom a mullet is least suited, Superman would have to come near the top.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 9  

Another aspect of the mullet days was that it was just after Superman returned from the dead, right about the same time Clark reappeared after going "missing." Hmm. Superman now had long, flowing locks cascading down his neck, and oh, hey, Clark is now wearing a ponytail. Did Superman ever have long hair before? No, y'know, I don't think he did. Did Clark ever wear a ponytail before now? No, no... I don't believe he did... Huh. Imagine that.

It never looked more like the Daily Planet staff were just humoring SuperClark about his "secret" identity.

As for the "S" emblem on Romita's cover, he's clearly going for (and not getting close to) the old-style design, the one DC still employs in their licensing and animation. Lee went out of his way to "retire" that more decorative design in-story, but it is still the law of the land beyond the confines of the four-color world Lee and co. control.

Here we see Cully Hammer's model sheet for the Nu52 Superman, with its sleeker, more angular emblem. Also, an animated model with the emblem modified to more closely resemble what once was. The rounded serif at the end is still gone, but overall, the symbol is more recognizable than what Lee and co. would have. 

"I'm givin' ya 'til sundown ta git out, curlycue. There's a new serif in town, see?"

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 10  

I had stopped reading comics by the time "mullets" were in. So I hadn't seen Superman's until a few months ago ,yikes!
But more recently after getting JB's run of Avengers West Coast I see Wonder Man sporting that "Do". et tu Brute !

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 6:24pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm a big fan of Senior's work! Junior is good, but his dad remains my favorite
artist named John Romita!

That said, I recently ordered all eight volumes of SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL
from Amazon. So far, only four have arrived. However, when I have all eight
TPBs in hand, I'm going to have a marathon reading session that washes all
of these Eeew 52 Superdud images from my mind.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2014 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

I love those Man of Steel trades, and am looking forward to some rainy weekend afternoon when I can stay in and plow through the whole stack.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version