Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: OT: 4 Unlicensed Crossovers Hidden in Famous Comics (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

LINK

It's Cracked.com, if you don't like it ... don't read it.

I wasn't aware of the Barry Allen/Fastforward one. Neat.
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 2  

And from there, I found this!

LINK

Andy Meyers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

Absolutely awesome! Loved the Marvel Two in One and the Kirby makes a ton of sense looking back on it now.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS # 5 has a one-panel cameo of a photographer who looks just like Peter Parker, in the background of a scene featuring the two Supermen, and the Earth-1 Lois Lane.

Raj Dhami
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

There's also a scene from one of Walt Simonson's Thor run where Clark and Lois appear.  Cant remember which issue - might be the first one Terry Austin inked.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

During JB's Fantastic Four run, Reed and Sue have well known neighbours.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

And remember when the Teen Titans kinda' sorta' met the DNAgents?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 8  

The Cracked article seems to take as its criteria the idea that the stories actually carry over from one universe to the other, forming legitimate crossovers. I don't specifically recall that Titans/DNAgents crossover doing that, and I did read both sides of it, way back when.

Here's the "other side" of that story, by the way. 

If we're going to include the number of times that the companies have "borrowed" characters and concepts from one another to share a knowing wink with the audience, well, that's quite a list.

Just a few that I can recall off the top of my head:

There is of course the famous Aquaman story (#56) that concluded in a later issue of Sub-Mariner (#72), both having been written by Steve Skeates.

Roy Thomas sends the Avengers on a trip through time and the multiverse, having them encounter the Grandmaster's pawns, the Squadron Sinister (#69). Later, we're told that there is also a heroic counterpart to this team, making its home on faraway Earth-S, where the president is a Serpent Crown controlled Nelson Rockefeller (#85). Mark Gruenwald, the fellow behind the "Buried Alien/Fastfoward" snatch, saw great potential in the Squadron Supreme and decided to explore that in a twelve-issue maxi-series. The villains he'd intended to use were going to be close cousins to existing characters as well, but since this was now being taken well beyond a wink and a nod, becoming instead a title in its own right based entirely upon DC-owned characters, his was not allowed to use purely mimicked villains. Puffin couldn't just be a bird-themed fellow in a tux. He now had to inflate himself and look not at all like anyone named Oswald Cobblepott. Ape X couldn't just be a telepathic gorilla. Now she was a tech-savvy female ape in a wheelchair device. Wildcard, the laughing maniac who flew about on a playing card, well, sadly all that was left of him was a guy on a flying carpet who called himself Remnant.

DC, via Mike Friedrich, tried to muster a response to the initial volley fired by Thomas with a pathetic bunch of like-a-looks called The Heroes of Angor (#87). When the Squadron came back in their own book, the Heroes came back as well, in the Giffen/DeMatteis "Bwa-ha-ha-ha!" JL book. Later, DC would compound the whole mess by introducing a group of Marvel-inspired villains called the Extremists (JLE #15).

Marvel's Invaders (#14) and DC's Freedom Fighters (#7) each fought a team called the Crusaders, Marvel's (The Spirit of '76, Ghost Girl, Tommy Lightning, Thunderfist, and Dyna-Mite) looking a lot like the Freedom Fighters; DC's (Americommando, Rusty, Barracuda, Fireball, & Sparky) looked an awful lot like the Invaders.

Marvel's Imperial Guard is a blow struck against DC and Warner's corporate exclusivity of ownership of the Legion of Super-Heroes. Shi'ar and Shi'ar alike, as they say... :-)

Both companies have rampant parodies of one another's books in their humor titles Not Brand Ecch, What Th'?!, Inferior Five, and others.

DC continues to gain mileage from their Cyborg Superman character, currently a Red Lantern unless something's changed recently, but who remembers that the Cyborg Superman himself is just a parody of Reed Richards from a Dan Jurgens scripted Adventures of Superman issue (#465) in which a four-person team of explorers returns from space only to die of massive radiation exposure? 

Dave Cockrum through an error sold the same visual for a character he'd designed to both DC and Marvel, making the Manphibian from the Legion of Monsters and the Devil-Fish from the Legion of Super-Heroes virtually identical.

Rich Buckler used the same design for his Demon Hunter and Bloodwing characters before bringing it to Marvel for Devil-Slayer. Arguably all three could be said to be iterations of the same character.

Howard Chaykin's Cody Starbuck, Scorpion, and Dominic Fortune all look very much alike, but there is much to differentiate them in their settings and backstories.

Steve Englehart left Marvel in something of a huff and took Mantis with him, changing her name to Willow when he wrote her into issues of the Justice League of America. Supposedly, "This One's" appearance changed as a result of her recent union with her husband, an alien plant being. In his Scorpio Rose series, she calls herself "Lorelei" and has a young son. Eventually, the character and her child find their way back to the MU.

Barry Allen and Iris appear on this Infantino-inspired cover of Marvel Team-Up in which Spidey battles the Speed Demon from the Squadron Sinister.

I'm certain there are a large number of similar instances I'm overlooking...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

I had the issue of QUASAR with "Buried Alien". I had no idea he
appeared again with a new name and costume!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

Yep, he appeared in Quasar issues #17 and #58.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

Be-boppin' around the internet looking for those Quasar issues, I found this site which lists a number of intra-universal occurrences with which I was unfamiliar...

There are a number of ads throughout the text, but I didn't have any "pop-up" problems...

Check out the comments section for even more crossover mania.

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 August 2014 at 7:42pm

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2014 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I bought that Teen Titans issue as a kid -- I think the only issue of Teen Titans I ever picked up back then -- and I was surprised when the Recombatants died in the end.  They seemed like such interesting characters.  Why introduce such fully-fleshed-out characters with cool powers only to kill them off in the same issue.  I didn't learn of the DNAgents until maybe 15-20 years later.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version