Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: OT- The Passion is Gone. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm a long-time lurker and I may get myself banned for this but I have to say: This? This is utter bullshit. "It's the comics that got small"? No. No, it's not. It's the "creative minds" that got small.

Comics, as a whole, are dying not because of late scheduling or the  changes to mainstream characters or whatever other fanboy nonsense you want to dream up. It's the creators that got small. We live in an age where anyone is able to publish a  comic book. And anyone who wants to do comics...TRULY wants to do comics... and doesn't self-publish is a traitor to the art form.

Captain America, Spider-Man, Superman, Batman? These are NOT your childhood friends. They are NOT your buddies. They are intellectual properties. They exist to make money. Above all else, they exist to make money. It has always been that way and you're fooling yourself if you think otherwise. The minute they hit a t-shirt or a lunch box or a radio show or a movie they were I.P. That's it. And I type this while I'm wearing an Amazing Fantasy #15 t-shirt. I love these characters but I love the art form more.

If you were really a fan of comics you'd publish that physical comic or that webcomic. You "respect the art form too much"? Please. You'd rather it wither and die on the vine of capitalism than put out something that you might think is inferior? Inferior to what? Girl-Thor? Cut-Off-Face-Wearing-Joker? Would Jack Kirby think that way? Would Ditko?? Would Byrne??? (not to put words in John's mouth). To hell with that. Create. Stop bitching about what isn't and create what could be. For the love of the field. Just. Do. it. Create the heroes that you would want to read about.

There is no reason that the field is not teeming with self-published comics, webcomics, or comics scribbled on napkins if that's your thing. Why would you ever worry about failure? Try. Try for the sake of the art form. Try for your love of superheroes or westerns or monsters or romance or satire or whatever-the-hell-else. 

Just try. Pick up your pencils and just TRY. 

Edited by Steve Musgrave on 18 July 2014 at 11:19pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 2  

Steve Musgrav wrote:
... I may get myself banned for this...

Why do you think that?

Steve Musgrave wrote:
..."It's the comics that got small"? No. No, it's not. ...

Where did anyone else write "It's the comics that got small" in this thread that you are responding to above? Seriously, I can't find the original post.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 18 July 2014 at 11:18pm

Steve Musgrave
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

Matt: Mostly the swearing. But I get worked up on the subject. I'm still passionate about comics. I'm in no way looking for a "Big Bad Byrne" story.

As far as the "It's the comics that got small" "quote", it's more of an underlying feeling than a direct quote. I'm not looking for a fight. There are so many message boards out there that are filled with people who are giving up on comics because they aren't the way they used to be. I just don't understand why they can't be that way again. The internet has made the field so broad...I just don't get why people aren't jumping on the opportunity to create. No matter what their skill level. If comics are so important to us all, why not create for the love of it all? What do we have to lose?

Edited by Steve Musgrave on 18 July 2014 at 11:28pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged | 4  

Steve, I really respect your enthusiasm. In respect to me and why I'm having my conflict. Hasn't really anything to do with the state of the comic industry. It has to do with me. I don't have the discipline it takes to do a monthly title. I would hate to be one of those "Growing Roses" artists. You know what I mean ? I respect the process to much and I have too much respect for those who inspired me to just half ass it. 

Also It's important to me to please the people the artwork is for. Anytime anyone has paid me to do something. I've been so grateful inside. I wanted to do my absolute best to thank them.

When it comes to drawing comics. I'm a product of the era in which I first began drawing and reading comics. I think Superheroes should be larger than life. That's how the guys I grew up loving did it. That's how I think I should be doing it. 

Doing it because I love to do it is nice and all. But there is the reality of paying the bills.  I'm mean obviously I'm still going to draw because I love to draw. 

But it's the goal of getting paid to do it is what I was after. The odd commission job here or there aside. I want to do for someone else what John Byrne did for me. 

I want some little kid to see what I did and be inspired to do the same thing.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Anthony, I sort of see where you're coming from, however if drawing IS your passion, that's what should motivate you. Seems you're in a slump, which happens to us all, but don't quit.... like some have already mentioned, there are many ways to put your work out there on your own terms and it's probably more rewarding than working for the top two companies.

Put your work out there and if you gain an audience that enjoys your efforts and praises your talent, that should be enough to motivate you to continue and put in the time necessary. It's really that simple.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 19 July 2014 at 1:07am

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 6  

Put your work out there and if you gain an audience that enjoys your efforts and praises your talent, that should be enough to motivate you to continue and put in the time necessary. It's really that simple.
~~~~~~~~~~~

That's what I was thinking I needed to do. Just do what I love and hope people like it for what it is. Of course there is that thought. But will anyone give a damn?

Thankfully my son who is my biggest supporter is here to say the hell with that just do it. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 7  

That's what I was thinking I needed to do. Just do what I love and
hope people like it for what it is. Of course there is that thought. But
will anyone give a damn?
======
Well, if they don't, at least you'll know. Don't EVER let fear of failure
hold you back. That's the worst thing you could ever do.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 8  

It sounds like you have some self imposed mental blocks more than anything. Push through and on the other side your "lost" passion is waiting for you. Your son is totally right. Stop worrying so much, stop thinking, just grab some paper and a pencil and draw!

Have fun and always strive to get better!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 9  

"It's the comics that got small"? No. No, it's not. It's the "creative minds" that got small.

••

You'll have to explain to me how the comics function independently of those creative minds.

If the creative minds "get small," so do the comics.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 10  

"I'm feeling like I failed."- AJL

That must tell you something buddy!. If you feel that way, there must yet still burn the passion to succeed.

Regardless, we don't all get to plan out the track of our lives. So don't be so hard on yourself.

The only reason I turned professional, was soley out of necessity. I was made redundant from my job, (Selling mortgages and insurance), went back to school to get a piece of paper, then needed a way to support my family. Draw with a gun to your head;)

You have to follow your heart. If it's time to lay down the pencil, you'll know. [edited to add]---You won't need to guess at it.

Good-luck.

-D

Edited by Darren Taylor on 19 July 2014 at 7:02am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 11  

Here's a tip if you're publishing online: Figure out the speed you can work at and the frequency you wish to release work, then make a schedule or format that fits it and *stick to it.*

If you want to do a newspaper-ish strip but don't want to post on weekends, do five days a week. If you want to make comic books but can't produce an exact 22 page monthly, put up a single panel a day. Just stick to the plan and build your speed and skills over the long term.

Most readers over time will not read your work at the pace you posted it. Your biggest fans may show up five years in. The important thing is you paced yourself, put in the time, and grew as an artist or writer. You can always publish it on paper later– and you will hopefully have a fan base for it by then.

Steve Musgrave
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anthony: I get what you're saying. I'm an illustrator by trade (one of those dirty "cartoony" artists to be exact) so I understand your fears. That said, do what you love. If people dig it, that's great. The world could use some cool new comics. If they don't...hey...at least you tried. That's more than a lot of people can say! And like Richard said: Find a schedule that you can work comfortably at. If you can do three times a week, do it! If you can only do one update a week, do that instead. Find what works for you and build an audience. 

John: What I'm trying to say is that the base idea of sequential storytelling will always exist. Sales may go up and down but the base idea of comics will always be there. Sorry if it came out goofy before. I got caught up in my own over-enthusiasm.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version